How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2009, 05:02 AM

Default "A unit has been lost"

Hello everyone!
This weekend at our church I experienced a pretty scary moment with our Profile/Mix Rack System! Everything was going fine, and all of a sudden channels 1-8's faders jumped to full and then went right back to their proper position. The console gave us an error saying a unit had been lost, and it was the left side of the console only. Luckily that side of the board was muted and the pastor who was speaking was on the other side of the board. Needless to say, it scared the hell out of me and I'm concerned that it won't be a one time occurence. Anyone else have this experience? I'm sure there are many possible reasons that this could happen, but I'm wondering if there are any troubleshooting steps or diagnostics I can run to try and narrow down this problem....Thanks! Vince Lepore
Old 03-18-2009, 07:31 AM
Avid

Default Re: "A unit has been lost"

Hi Vince,

Sorry for the scare - this certainly isn't normal or expected behavior. Please call the support line at 650-731-6111 so they can gather more info.

For a bit of background: the message indicates one side of the console went offline for some reason. Under the hood the Profile surface is divided into two modules, left and right, and either module can go offline without affecting the other. When a module comes online it recalibrates the faders - chances are this is what caused them to jump to max, and audio shouldn't have been affected during this offline period (but it's impossible to say for certain, without knowing the root cause).

Sheldon