Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2016, 04:08 PM

Default Pro tools 12.4 saving audio files in iTunes -help- so absurd!

I just bought a new macbook pro with Retina. Im told repeatedly thru the years how much better it is to run pro tools thru a mac then a PC. Here on day 1 I already have a problem with pro tools and mac.

When I record and audio file in pro tools its also saving my audio file in my iTunes folder. This is absurd! I call Apple Care and they have no idea why and tell me to contact Avid. I email Avid I still have not heard a word.

This is shocking n Un-exceptable. Already I have to waste precious time with this is bs.

Please help anyone?

Thanks
Old 02-23-2016, 04:12 PM

Default Re: Pro tools 12.4 saving audio files in iTunes -help- so absurd!

You may have iTunes set to automatically import any and all audio files added to your drive. Try looking into that.
http://www.fishertheband.com
Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram / 1TB Flash Storage - Avid HD I/O - Latest Mac OS - HDX3 - Latest PT Version.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwasserman View Post
You may have iTunes set to automatically import any and all audio files added to your drive. Try looking into that.
Hi after looking for a way to stop iTunes from automatically importing all files with apple care tech trying to help me, basically one can't do this unless you know of another way to do this? I do NOT like this so called iTunes trying to make it easy for one to find their audio files! iTunes has NO business in my personal "copy-written" music period!

I'm also shocked not to see any other Mac/Pro Tools users complaining about this bs feature.
Old 02-23-2016, 08:08 PM

I don't see how this is possible with recording to disk and having the audio files go to iTunes but I could be wrong. When you bounce make sure "add to iTunes" is off.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2016-02-23 at 11.12.52 PM.png (44.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-24-2016, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanrock View Post

I'm also shocked not to see any other Mac/Pro Tools users complaining about this bs feature.
That's because you're the only one experiencing it so its exclusive to your system. I've never heard of iTunes auto-importing anything from a pro tools session recording before so you've got something pretty wonky going on. Can you take your setup into a Genius Bar so a techy-type person can watch it happen?

Or can you provide a very detailed step-by-step of what you are doing and we can try and replicate it?

Also, what hard drive / folder are you creating your pro tools session on/in?

Last edited by KMcK; 02-24-2016 at 01:56 AM.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:47 AM

Hannibal Lechter mentioned the automatic import to iTunes in the bounce dialog. Also, the default auto path for PT12 on OX is USER>MUSIC which iTunes is likely constantly indexing; have you changed the default session location or tried moving the session file and making sure iTunes isn't indexing the drive or folder you choose?
Old 02-24-2016, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitboy85 View Post
Hannibal Lechter mentioned the automatic import to iTunes in the bounce dialog. Also, the default auto path for PT12 on OX is USER>MUSIC which iTunes is likely constantly indexing; have you changed the default session location or tried moving the session file and making sure iTunes isn't indexing the drive or folder you choose?
Newer happens. Hannibal Lecter is spot on.

http://www.mmvstudios.com
Old 02-24-2016, 11:03 AM

this is interesting and disturbing .. the pic i included has the only controls for what happens when importing Music to iTunes ..

trust me i am not defending iTunes .. it destroyed my entire Music Library (changed my metadata so that songs are not tied to the actual names anymore - choose Sinatra, get Red Hot Chilli Peppers ) and Apple had no idea 5 years ago how this could happen .. today there is a Document that states .. "Metadata on Libraries over 10,000 songs can be corrupted ... WTF !!!

so, i can see how things can happen and Apple has not idea ..

hopefully your issue is nothing more than what Hannibal mentioned ..

cheers john
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2016-02-24 at 10.58.27 AM.png (92.3 KB, 0 views)

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 02-24-2016, 01:55 PM

Yep, this shouldn't happen, the only thing I can think is that your session record path is directed to/same as the iTunes Music folder which means that iTunes - depending on your iTunes prefs - will "Automatically Add To iTunes" all audio files located in that folder.

If this is the case, change you PT rec path prefs to a dedicated PT audio drive... you do have one I assume?
Old 02-25-2016, 08:18 PM

Have you checked disk allocation ?
As stated above you should be working to a separate drive for audio, check the path and make sure it's pointed to the project audio files folder. If possible make sure that is on said audio drive. Hope that helps.