Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Duet & Pro Tools | Quartet

Old 11-30-2014, 10:24 AM

Default Quartet analog output specs.

I am wondering about the 6 analog out's on the Quartet. I had two mic's hooked up, using pro tools could see the levels and could hear the output with my headphones on the outputs and in the headphone jack. I ran the TRS to a self amplified speaker made by Mackie and there was no sound. The Mic's could be plugged directly into the Mackie and would work. Is the output just line level, or can it drive a set of speakers like the Apogee documentation states.

Thanks,

Steve.
Old 12-01-2014, 12:46 AM

Default Re: Quartet analog output specs.

No, the Output is designated to work with TRS. You can connect active speakers,
amplifiers which are connected to passive speakers etc., it´s no problem at all.
If necessary you also can connect normal TS Line cables to it but it actually is not
recommended by Apogee. TRS is the right stuff officially.

You may just check the Output Routing Tab Window in Maestro for the right routing!
If you want to use Maestro´s low-latency function, you will have to set the outputs
which your speakers are connected to to Mixer 1 (or Mixer 2) from the software outputs.

This will enable Maestro´s low-latency mixer function and you may then go to the
Mixer Tab Window in Maestro to set up the listening-level of your direct mic signals as well
as the level of your Software Return (which is your playback).
The overall level of both together can be set up by the Mixer Master faders.

Don´t forget, the actual recording level you will have to set up in the Input Tab Window
in Maestro or directly via the hardware knobs on the Quartet (which are working in parallel
with the ones in the Input Tab Window).

To select Mic/Line/-10/+4 and to enable Soft Limiting or Phantom Power for the dedicated
channel you will also have to go to the Input Tab Window.

In Pro Tools you will have to record enable your track, mute it and enable Input Monitor Only
to see your recording level in realtime.

Finally you always may check the various Tab Windows in Maestro for wrong settings or
accidentally muted functions if you experience strange behavior or issues with the Quartet.
Most of the time you will just find the reason for it in any kind of "wrong" setting in Maestro.

Hope it helps.

All the best,

VRW

Mac Mini i7Quad, 16GB Ram, MBP Mid 2012 2,5GHz i5, 16GB Ram, MacOS 10.10.1 Yosemite, Apogee Quartet+Duet 2
Genelec Active, Yamaha NS10, Pro Tools 11.2.2, Logic 10.0.7, Waves, MCDSP, Duende Native, HOFA, IK Multimedia, NI etc.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:00 AM

Default Re: Quartet analog output specs.

VRW,

Great response. Thanks for taking the time to do that.

Steve.