Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2008, 03:11 AM

Default Finalizer Plugins

What do you guys like to use, if any as finalizers across the main mix?
I have maxim installed, its pretty good(mainly because Its the only finalizer tool I have)) but im probaly going to invest in TC, any of you use them?
I work in post for Tv so the audio goes to air after it leaves me with no mastering involved.
As im no mastering engineer, Im looking for something decent so I can peak limit, maximise output and generally give the final mix a bit of balls before it goes to air.
Any suggestions would be great, cheers.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:11 AM

Default Re: Finalizer Plugins

IMO The Massey L2007 is superb.

I personally can't stand the TC Finalizer, we sold ours a couple of years ago, horrible, horrible unit.

Same goes for Maxim, simply horrible...

I really like the Waves L3-16 as well & usually use that as the final piece in the chain with couple of L2007’s before it, each only taking a tiny bit off...

You will probably get lots of differing options on this as it can be a personally taste thing..

N
Old 09-04-2008, 07:46 AM

Cool Nick, thanks. I used to use the L1 ages ago when on was on 24mix plus system. Loved that so I guess I'll try the L2 and L3. Its been a while, I forgot all about those puppies. cheers.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:54 PM

Good question,

I hear great things about Waves, I have TC as it came to me as a very expensive and cool gift. I will say that I have seen more award winning Cds m ade finalized with Master X than with any other plug-in. But, I'm also not being fair. Keep talking to people and trust the ones who know how to make good music and who's music or whatever it is you respect.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:29 AM

Well sure I'll get a demo of the master x and L316 and compare them, probaly the best.
Thanks lads.
Old 09-07-2008, 05:45 PM

I find that the PSP Vintage warmer (RTAS only) yields more pleasing results than the Finalizer, which seems to make everything sound harsh.

Also, I've had good experience with the McDSP ML4000 and that's next on the list of things to purchase.

Greg
Old 09-07-2008, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InjuredEar View Post
I find that the PSP Vintage warmer (RTAS only) yields more pleasing results than the Finalizer, which seems to make everything sound harsh.

Also, I've had good experience with the McDSP ML4000 and that's next on the list of things to purchase.

Greg
Have not heard of the PSP Vintage warmer although is sounds intriguing. I have a chance to try out the Waves L3 and L1 and I was quite impressed with the multi-band L3. It was definitely warmer sounding than the master X. I still like Master X too, but I was sold on the L3. Also want to thy Colin's McDsp version. He's briliiant.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:05 AM

Smile Re: Finalizer Plugins

I personally find the L3-16 or the L3-LL by waves work very well indeed - very transparent, good RMS levels, quick.
Apply the Q10 eq before this to remove some problem frequencies and hey presto, its not what a mastering engineer could do, of course, but we get a mix which is louder, more defined, each sound has its place and the plug in is very versatile in my opinion has plenty to offer for post and music.

I would look into this if I was in your boat.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:53 PM

I currently own the McDSP Project Studio bundle from before I upgraded to Pro Tools HD. The LE version of the M4000 is nice, but I would say it is not as easy to use as the Waves L series. I have found that when I am impatient and just toss the LE M4000 on without massaging it, it ends up sounding a bit distorted. This of course is not the full version, nor does it have the multiband compressors. However, if you decide to put a few on in a series, with various stages of gain reductions, you will come out with a stellar sounding mix.

That being said, McDSP is now offering a discount on the Project Studio Bundle I believe it's less that $300 now. Quite a bargain for a great plug in set. I paid $500. Worth every penny, especially when Waves tend to start over $1000 a bundle.

Good Luck-
DrFord

P.S. - Maxim is in my "Unused Plug-Ins" folder.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:38 AM

Pro Audio DSP Dynamic Spectrum Mapper. Absolutely the best limiter
plug in I've ever used.