Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 12-31-2017, 03:02 AM

Default Using Absynth 5 as FX

Hey Guys,

I'm trying to use absynth as an fx processor through a bus track.
I've already set absynth's oscillator to "audio in" and I can see the audio coming in from the audio track in absytnth's "In" meter but on the Out meters nothing moves.

I noticed that on logic I have absynth 5 and absynth fx, while Pro Tools only shows absynth (AAX) which is the one I placed on the bus track.

Any ideas what's wrong with my signal path or set up here?

Thanks!
Old 12-31-2017, 03:46 AM

Default Re: Using Absynth 5 as FX

I haven't used Absynth for years, but I seem to remember it had a section in presets for fx. Have you tried to load a fx preset?
Old 12-31-2017, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
I haven't used Absynth for years, but I seem to remember it had a section in presets for fx. Have you tried to load a fx preset?
Genius! I didn't notice there was a separate "Effects" tab. Thanks a lot and happy new year :)
Old 01-10-2018, 11:07 PM

Fellas, I'm having the exact same problem. I see the effects tab, I click on any of the effects, but I'm not getting output from any of them. I don't see "presets" available anywhere on the instrument. I'm trying to use Aetherizer, and I see it selected in the effects tab and it's listed in the Master section. Like the OP says, I'm can see audio is coming into the instrument, but there is no output. Thanks for the help, folks!
Old 01-11-2018, 04:55 PM

For anyone else who comes across this problem, I found the solution. Go to the "perform" tab, and in that page you will find the "Audio In" panel. In that panel there is a control for the "auto trigger". I selected "always on" and then I was able to use all the Absynth features on an audio track. I believe this auto trigger addresses this point from the Absynth manual:

"External audio signals run through ABSYNTH 5’s signal path in exactly the same way as internally created signals and so are also in uenced by ABSYNTH 5’s Envelopes. This means that you do not hear audio signals from external sources unless ABSYNTH 5 has received MIDI notes and used them to trigger the Envelopes!"

I didn't understand this at all when I first read it. But after stumbling on the auto trigger, it's pretty clear how they relate.

I hope this helps someone else. The effects in Absynth are really cool for audio.