Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Additional Resources

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 11-25-2010, 02:53 AM

Default PT9 working poorly with UAD2

Seriously, I'm not having good luck with PT9 on my i7, Windows 7 64 bit machine.

1) UAD2 barely works with PT9, and needs my RME FF800 buffers all the way up to 1024 to play cleanly. Also it's crash prone with the UAD2, and after a crash typically a session is then totally corrupt and won't load anymore. Dang, Reaper will run down to 48 buffers cleanly!

2) If I run PT9 it then corrupts my other DAW, being Reaper. (Turned out to be conflicts with my midi controller shared between Reaper, Sonar and PT9) THIS PART NOW FIXED, except for the controller settings in PT9 are wiped out during any crash.

My system:
i7 PC w/6 gig ram
Windows 7 64 bit
RME FF800
UAD2
Waves Ren collection 1&2
Melodyne Editor
all latest drivers/updates
all working fine with Sonar, Reaper, & Soundforge
Old 11-25-2010, 05:27 AM

Default Re: PT9 working poorly with UAD2, plus it corrupts sessions AND my other DAW

Quote:
Originally Posted by geetarpicker View Post
Seriously, I'm not having good luck with PT9 on my i7, Windows 7 64 bit machine.

1) UAD2 barely works with PT9, and needs my RME FF800 buffers all the way up to 1024 to play cleanly. Also it's crash prone with the UAD2, and after a crash typically a session is then totally corrupt and won't load anymore. Dang, Reaper will run down to 48 buffers cleanly!

2) If I run PT9 it then corrupts my other DAW, being Reaper. I can load PT9 onto my system and Reaper is fine, but once I open up a session in PT9 and then close it and go on to Reaper then Reaper is corrupted. Reaper will load, but when you click on a track lane it starts to flicker and locks. A reboot won't fix it, reinstalling Reaper won't fix it, even uninstalling PT9 won't fix it. I have to restore windows back to before I fooled with PT9 at all to get Reaper running again. Oddly I can even then reinstall PT9 without any initial conflicts to Reaper. However once PT9 is opened one time Reaper is wacked out again.

I really wish I could keep both DAWs on my system to slowly move my skills into PT9, but at this point I've had to sadly totally pull PT9 from my computer to keep my studio going.

?

My system:
i7 PC w/6 gig ram
Windows 7 64 bit
RME FF800
UAD2
Waves Ren collection 1&2
Melodyne Editor
all latest drivers/updates
all working fine with Sonar, Reaper, & Soundforge
I can't even use it with avid hardware previously working fine with PT8LE
Old 11-25-2010, 07:43 AM

Default Re: PT9 working poorly with UAD2, plus it corrupts sessions AND my other DAW

Curiously, on my RME HDSP9652 system, PT9 would barf on even a single UAD2 plugin until I *lowered* my latency all the way to 32 samples. It would skip and complain about RTAS memory at 256 - but hums along at 32 nicely. I know this makes no sense, but it has worked for me. Also, turn off the extra buffering feature in the UAD control panel.
-Dan
Old 11-25-2010, 05:11 PM

Today I reinstalled PT9 and tried all the different buffer settings available, both with and without the UAD2 "extra buffers" setting. The RME FF800 drivers go down to 48 samples, but the lowest that PT9 supports is 64. Sadly no 32 buffer option available with the FF800, at least for now. Still the only one that works is the 1024 setting. Today at least it didn't corrupt it's own PT session when it did choke and crash on the other buffers.

When I was done sure enough Reaper was wacked out again. I then had to restore Windows to yesterday (effectively uninstalling PT9) to get Reaper back and running. Pretty funny how PT9 can wig out the competitors DAW! (well, not funny actually...)
Old 11-26-2010, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geetarpicker View Post
Today I reinstalled PT9 and tried all the different buffer settings available, both with and without the UAD2 "extra buffers" setting. The RME FF800 drivers go down to 48 samples, but the lowest that PT9 supports is 64. Sadly no 32 buffer option available with the FF800, at least for now. Still the only one that works is the 1024 setting. Today at least it didn't corrupt it's own PT session when it did choke and crash on the other buffers.

When I was done sure enough Reaper was wacked out again. I then had to restore Windows to yesterday (effectively uninstalling PT9) to get Reaper back and running. Pretty funny how PT9 can wig out the competitors DAW! (well, not funny actually...)
Actually it is funny considering you're running what is essentially free DAW software - Reaper. The $40 payment is really optional to just get rid of the nag screen. Remember that Reaper is only 2 guys while Avid has way more than that. Best to stick with PT and forget Reaper.

Besides, you only need low buffers while tracking, not mixing or anything else.

QAPLA!
Old 11-28-2010, 08:49 PM

The conflicts between PT9 and Reaper of all things turned out to be rooted with my Tranzport wireless midi controller.

The Tranzport has settings you have to change depending on what DAW you are in, being if you are in Pro Tools, or a "Tranzport Native" setting which works with Reaper & Sonar. If I had the Tranzport setting still in the Pro Tools mode and went into Reaper the odd behavior began. The reason I hadn't thought of this was when going between any other DAWs I've had before (even Pro Tools 8) IF the Tranzport wasn't routed correctly or in the wrong mode it simply would not work. However in this scenario with PT9 installed if it was set wrong it could really cause very odd behavior and lock ups when opening Reaper while still set for control of Pro Tools, even if I wasn't even trying to use the remote. Anyway, very easy fix I just have to watch what mode the Tranzport remote is in.

My UAD2 is still a bit unstable with PT9, at the setting of 1024 samples which is the only one that plays cleanly. Seems most crashes center around routing changes, or during a save or save as.