Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 05-07-2019, 10:56 AM

Default Optimizing pro tools for PC

Could anyone please tell me how to increase CPU usage for optimization?

I found some info explaining how to do it on a mac (which is in the playback engine window), but the option for CPU usage isn't in the playback engine window when using a PC.

Also, is there anything else I can do to optimize my PC for pro tools?

So far I have selected 6 out of 8 processors for pro tools use only. (in task manager>processes>affinity)

I have increased RAM usage in the playback engine window to 3GB (possible max choice is 4GB. My machine is 8GB Ram).

I have changed pro tools priority in task manager>processes>priority to high.

The problem with these tweaks is that I have to repeat the process each time I boot up pro tools. Is there any way I can save the tweaks?
Old 05-07-2019, 03:36 PM

Default Re: Optimizing pro tools for PC

What version of Pro Tools? 8 gb of RAM is too little. 16 gb is minimum now. And if your sessions are small, a 3 gb cache is (way) too big. You just need enough cache to cover the size of your sessions.

You can try disabling hyperthreading, that helps some and not others.

Have a look here for optimizations.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 05-07-2019, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cglass1982 View Post

I found some info explaining how to do it on a mac (which is in the playback engine window), but the option for CPU usage isn't in the playback engine window when using a PC.

So far I have selected 6 out of 8 processors for pro tools use only. (in task manager>processes>affinity)

I have increased RAM usage in the playback engine window to 3GB (possible max choice is 4GB. My machine is 8GB Ram).

The problem with these tweaks is that I have to repeat the process each time I boot up pro tools. Is there any way I can save the tweaks?
As The Week asked what exact version of Pro Tools are you running?

What actual problem do you have that you are trying to solve. e.g. Pro Tools crashing with what exact error message?

Why are you trying to mess with processor affinity settings. You should likely be leaving all this alone. You may be getting yourself confused by looking at info on old Pro Tools playback engine settings, where this could be important. I'm also going to guess you don't even have 8 actual CPU cores in your PC, even more reason to leave this stuff alone.

What you need to do is make sure you PC meets minimal system requirements or better, and is fully optimized. .. the link Mr. Weed gave you alread.

What "RAM" setting are you changing.. you mean Disk Cache, you may not have enough RAM to have any Pro Tools disk cache. Disk Cache only affects IO performance, Pro Tools is low on memory increasing that will make things worse.. What disk are you using for audio/session? Again, I wonder if you may be confusing settings in old versions of Pro Tools with stuff here. Stop reading that if you are and just work though the systems optimization stuff for the correct version of Pro Tools you are using.

Post a SiSoft Sandra report for you PC. See how under "Help Us help You" up the top of each DUC web page, and run that report with all your drives attached, and indicate what drives are audio/sessions and which drive you have VI samples stored on.
Old 05-12-2019, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cglass1982 View Post

There is a script that automates all of these steps earlier in the thread, go back to the beginning and read up.

You have way too little RAM. Without 16gigs it really is an exercise in futility and frustration...start there.