Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2008, 09:37 PM

Default Creating loops and adding beats.

I just want to learn how to import already recorded music.
Then I want to know how to create loops.
Then I want to know how to add already recorded beats to sync with the loops.
I have been trying to figure this out for days and I am so lost.
There are so many PDF's that I don't know where to start.
Can someone please direct me or help me. I am so ignorant with Pro Tools and it seems the more I try to complete the above mentioned tasks the more I become lost.
Please help me.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:42 PM

Default Re: Creating loops and adding beats.

Hey man,

The PDF to start with is the Pro Tools Reference Guide!

There are a couple of ways to import already recorded music. Cmnd+shift+I is the shortcut for "import audio" on Mac, so I guess that makes it ctrl+shift+I on PC. You could also use the workspace window. Search the above mentioned PDF for import audio and you'll probably get a bunch of results.

As for syncing, elastic time is your friend! Here are a bunch of videos showing elastic time:

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...112&ref=pt74-m

If I may toot my own horn, here's a post I wrote a while back on how various type of clicking works with elastic audio:

http://www.protoolerblog.com/2008/01...-in-warp-mode/

To create beats you'll use a software instrument, or as in the good old days, real instruments
Old 09-16-2008, 05:47 AM

Umm. I just want to say. You have actually help bring me out of a deep sadness. I have had ProTools for over a year and have become so frustrated that it is mildly depressing. I have a small amount of time to do anything and I have a project for an event due by October 20. I eventually have to add original visuals to go with the music, so, I will eventually trying to use ProTools for their video aspects.
Anyway, I am at work right now, so, I can't look at all of your information but I will be checking it out as soon as I get home.
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.
I will let you know the progress.

John
Old 09-16-2008, 07:42 AM

Quote:
I just want to learn how to import already recorded music.
The easiest way 'for me' to import your "already recorded music" is to pull the .wav file into the 'tracks list'. The tracks list is the window that is on the left side of the edit window. This will create a new track, give it a second and you'll see your audio. If you don't see the tracks list in your edit window look tword the bottom of the edit window and look for the button that looks like this...>>. You can drag the file from your desktop, from a file in your hard drive, off of a flash drive, or from the workspace browser (there's also other ways). You can open the workspace browser by pushing Alt+; (I think thats the shortcut...sorry I am just used to pushing the buttons and never tryed to remember the actual buttons..its kind of second nature for me). Or look for the Workspace Browser from the pull downs at the top of the edit window. There are other ways to do this also...'Edit, import audio'..but I usually drag into the tracks list.

Quote:
Then I want to know how to create loops.
After you've imported your "allready recorded music" your going to want to set the tempo of your session to your music. If you allready know the tempo..your stylin. If you don't have the tempo set it's going to be almost imposible to cut up your music and make loops. It would be very difficult to explain how to set the tempo or make a tempo map here in this post. Search around for tutorials on how to do this. I would recomend going to www.grooveboxmusic.com. It's a membership type thing where you pay $18 or so per month and they have all kinds of helpfull video tutorials, beginer and advanced. There is one in there that shows how to set the tempo. Or if you have the time and money, try to take the Pro Tools 101 class through a certified Digidesign school. Thats what I did when I was starting out and WOW did it get me rolling fast. I think I paid $695 for the class. You can check it out at www.digidesign.com.

Quote:
Then I want to know how to add already recorded beats to sync with the loops.
For this I agree with Stiff. Elastic Audio is awesome for this type of situation. Watch those tutorials and you should be on your way to success.

Good Luck. I hope this helps you.

P.S. CHECK OUT THE GROOVE BOX WEB SITE!
Old 09-16-2008, 08:16 AM

I searched around on 'Groove Box' for you so your not wasting time trying to find the tutorials that would help you.

Go to 'Explore Pro Toosl 6' and watch the tutorials in the 'Making Loops' and the 'Tempo and Time' sections.

Then go to 'Enter Pro Tools 7' go to the 'Editing' section and watch the 'Cut, Copy and Paste' tutorial.

Then go to 'Explore Pro Tools 7' and watch the tutorials on the 'Working w/Tracks' and the 'Working w/Regions' section. Also under the 'Editing' section watch the 'Duplicate and Repeat' tutorial. Also under teh 'Import and Export' section watch the 'Importing Audio' tutorial.

Then go to 'Excel Pro Tools 7' and go to the 'Editing' section and watch the 'Making Loops' and the 'Using Sync Points' tutorials.

After watching these tutorials and a little trial and error you should be rolling on your project.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj A-Ron View Post
I searched around on 'Groove Box' for you so your not wasting time trying to find the tutorials that would help you.

Go to 'Explore Pro Toosl 6' and watch the tutorials in the 'Making Loops' and the 'Tempo and Time' sections.

Then go to 'Enter Pro Tools 7' go to the 'Editing' section and watch the 'Cut, Copy and Paste' tutorial.

Then go to 'Explore Pro Tools 7' and watch the tutorials on the 'Working w/Tracks' and the 'Working w/Regions' section. Also under the 'Editing' section watch the 'Duplicate and Repeat' tutorial. Also under teh 'Import and Export' section watch the 'Importing Audio' tutorial.

Then go to 'Excel Pro Tools 7' and go to the 'Editing' section and watch the 'Making Loops' and the 'Using Sync Points' tutorials.

After watching these tutorials and a little trial and error you should be rolling on your project.
Hey, thank you so much. I really want to take a class but providing for a 7 person family does not enable me to at this point in time.
I feel so frustrated and stuck most of the time. I am so impressed that you guys are so willing to help. You really have no idea how much I appreciate it.
Just out of curiosity, I assume you are a dj and was wondering what genres. Is it possible to get copies of any of your mixes? I have been a bedroom dj for years and love to hear other dj's.

All good things.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:57 AM
Avid

This may help as well:

How to start making music in Pro Tools - A beginners guide

You might want to check out the DigiTV episodes or other tutorial info we have on our site.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:36 AM

Here's a more direct link:

How to start making music in Pro Tools - A Beginners Guide

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 09-17-2008, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, I assume you are a dj and was wondering what genres. Is it possible to get copies of any of your mixes? I have been a bedroom dj for years and love to hear other dj's.
Hahaha, yea, its kind of a funny story. I started DJing about 13 years ago just after high school. Was totally addicted to it. Started out playing partys, then went to clubs, then went to rave partys in Detroit, then back to clubs, then to weddings....yea...I've kind of done it all. Went from Hip Hop to Club/House to Techno to the Chicken Dance! Hahaha.

Since I've found Pro Tools, I've been completly hooked! Can't get enough of it. I'd be more than happy to email ya some mixes of stuff I've done with some of my clients. Mostly Hip Hop latley. Some R&B and Rock/Hip Hop.

Don't really touch the turntables much anymore other than to sample off my old records. A freind of mine, that I used to DJ with at the clubs recently bought the 'Rane Serato' program, and that is SWEET! Makes me wanna Spin again!

Anyway, my name is Aaron but my friends call me A-Ron or Dj A-Ron. Hence my username.

P.S. I looked at how much grooveboxmusic charges....It's about $13 per month. I'd pay for at least a month and watch those tutorials if I were you.

Have Fun!