Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2011, 10:14 AM

Default Please recommend external hard drive compatible with PT8 (and PT9)

Hello...

I am currently running Pro Tools 8, version 8.0.4, on an iMac with the following specs:
Mac OS X version 10.5.8
Processor: 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

I need to upgrade my external hard drive. Documentation on what to get has been hard to find. I'm hoping someone here can help.

As I understand it, I couldn't run PT9 with this operating system version even if I wanted to, so for now I'll continue using PT8. But I'm hoping there are recommended drives available now for PT8 that wouldn't become obsolete later if I upgrade to PT9.

I'm hoping that someone will recommend an actual hard drive make and model name/number, but if not, then please provide the necessary specs (for example, the required chipset).

Or, if you have a link to the Avid/Digidesign document that contains this info, that would also be helpful - whatever is easier.

Thanks for your help!
Old 02-23-2011, 10:38 AM

Default Re: Please recommend external hard drive compatible with PT8 (and PT9)

I recently moved my rig to MAC from PC and also upgraded from a 001 to a 003 rack.

I bought the Glyph GT 050Q and am extremely happy with it. I beleive it's one of the to main recommended drives for use with Protools.

A link to it on Sweetwater is here: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GT050Q1.5TB/

I've been pretty happy with it, although I haven't run anything really taxing ProTools wise on it yet, but have been doing some video editing off the drive without any trouble.

It's a much more expensive drive than the ones you can find cheap at computer stores, but so far seems to be worth it.

I've also heard OWC drives also be recommended at www.macsales.com as a slightly cheaper alternative to the Glyph drives.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:21 PM

I'm also using the same glyph drive mentioned above with my Mac Pro and 003 rack, and it works like a charm.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:29 PM

thanks for your replies!

I'd also heard or read somewhere that you get more functionality out of PT8... a higher track count perhaps? a higher sampling rate? ...if you run more than 1 external drive. Any truth to this?

I looked at those Glyph drives... they're 2 or 3 times more expensive than lot of other drives. Are they really any better? Or is that just the manufacturer capitalizing on whatever the market will bear?

Won't any drive work that matches the chipset spec? And just what is that spec - anyone have a link for it? Thanks again...
Old 02-23-2011, 05:10 PM

http://oyendigital.com/2.5-portable-hard-drives.html

For me these babies are as good as the glyphs but better priced.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyJ View Post
http://oyendigital.com/2.5-portable-hard-drives.html

For me these babies are as good as the glyphs but better priced.
Only if they got a 7200 rpm drive inside. I put OWC in the best price/performance category

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-24-2011, 03:15 PM

The G-tech G-drive is a as good as glyph and is made for pro tools, just cheaper. You cant go wrong with this one.

$150 for 1tb!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...rnal_Hard.html

Round Robin is the system that allow higher tracks counts. Its a feature inside of pro tools. I have two glyph's and intended on using this, but I have had to yet.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:42 PM

Thanks much to everyone who responded. For what it's worth, I finally got in touch with a trusted PT user who is also a PT instructor, who strongly suggested Mercury drives by Other World Computing, many of which are indicated to be compatible with PT on their website, http://eshop.macsales.com/

cheers...