Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2012, 02:17 AM

Default Re: Finding fizz and removing it with EQ

Be aware that your fizz may change frequency depending on what note you are playing.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:39 AM

then you could always try this...
e
Old 04-13-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyDazzler View Post
Be aware that your fizz may change frequency depending on what note you are playing.
I guess elicious' post showed how to deal with that situation. thanks for the heads up. I actually realize what you said when I'm playing. and actually, a regular parametric eq doesn't seem to be successful dealing with it. well, at least digirack's parametric eq's don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moff View Post
I usually get rid of the fizz without resorting to the PEQ.

First, add some speaker breakup - a setting of between 3 and 3.5 works for me, YMMV.

Second, experiment with cabs and mics and mic placement. Forget about what they're called, just LISTEN to them. Sometimes, the sound that's in your head that you think should be achievable with an AC30 and 2x12 with an SM57, is better achieved with a Plexi50, 4x12 with Vintage 65s, and a 409.

Again, it comes down to listening and not looking.
"Whenever" I find the tone I'd like, there is always a fizz in it. I guess it just the way eleven rack is. So I have to notch filter everytime I'm creating a (drive) tone. Do you agree on that eleven rack is always fizzy when it comes to hi-gain overdrive/distortion sounds for rock/metal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elicious View Post
then you could always try this...
e
this is awesome. I'll search about this some more. thanks.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:59 AM

I had a similar problem in the studio at the weekend, and I don't have the expansion pack (so no parametric EQ). There was a remarkably simple solution...I used the tone control on my guitar :) Seriously, I normally leave it at full (and I've not touched a tone control on any of my guitars, ever), but just rolling it back a bit removed all the fizz and nastiness.

In a similar vein...you could try putting your EQ before the amp instead of after.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalscream View Post
I had a similar problem in the studio at the weekend, and I don't have the expansion pack (so no parametric EQ). There was a remarkably simple solution...I used the tone control on my guitar :) Seriously, I normally leave it at full (and I've not touched a tone control on any of my guitars, ever), but just rolling it back a bit removed all the fizz and nastiness.

In a similar vein...you could try putting your EQ before the amp instead of after.
Yeah. I'm adding a parametric eq in the chain in eleven rack and try to make my tone sound fuller, without lots of fizz in it. I try clearing it some more on pro tools after I record it.
oh by the way, my guitar doesn't have a tone control!
Old 04-13-2012, 02:39 PM

There will ALWAYS be fizz in any heavy guitar tone, thats just a fact. Now whether or not its in an annoying frequency is another thing, or whether its audible under normal situations to average listeners is another thing.

There is fizz in the guitar sound of every metal band I've ever heard, and I'm talking commercial releases. Soulfly, Meshuggah, Lamb Of God, Devil Driver, Cannibal Corpse, Slayer, Machine Head, Slipknot, Mudvayne, WhiteChapel, Job For A Cowboy, Korn, In Flames, Killswitch Engage.... and on and on..... but the fizz is so lost in the mix, its either not noticeable or completely inaudible to most people in most situations. But listen to the raw guitar tracks, and you will hear it, its not overpowering, but it is there.

The annoying fizz, IF it is pronounced, can usually be dialed out with a Peaking EQ with a tight Q and dropped, usually around 3k to 7k sometimes higher, sometimes lower, in my experience. I prefer a Peaking filter to a notch filter because the notch bandwith is usually too tight and it will eliminate a certain freq. but with that freq. gone, you will now hear the nearby freqs. much more clearly and then you have to notch those out.

Really, you should not be having that much fizz. If you do, as I said before, the GAIN is the first thing to check.

You will always have some fizz. This is not a problem because once in the mix, it will be inaudible.

You may hear a really distorted tone that sounds like it has no fizz, but with careful listening and a trained ear, you will be able to hear it.

Another thing you can do is place a chorus after the amp with a really low setting, this adds width to the sound and because of the dispersal, its much harder to hear the fizz.

Another thing is using a De-Esser plugin.

BUT, above all - revisit your Gain and treble settings. If you find you are having to really boost the treble to get the sound you want, it would probably be more advantageous to instead CUT some bass and mid, which will allow the treble to be more clearly heard without tons of dB of gain in the highs.

When the 11R first came out all we had was the G-EQ, so it was very difficult to get the sound right, but with the P-EQ its very easy to make precise cuts and boosts.

Maybe you can post a sample of your rig and let use hear what you are talking about, and even better, post the rig setting so we can hear it on our rigs and suggest changes.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 04-20-2012, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
There will ALWAYS be fizz in any heavy guitar tone, thats just a fact. Now whether or not its in an annoying frequency is another thing, or whether its audible under normal situations to average listeners is another thing.

There is fizz in the guitar sound of every metal band I've ever heard, and I'm talking commercial releases. Soulfly, Meshuggah, Lamb Of God, Devil Driver, Cannibal Corpse, Slayer, Machine Head, Slipknot, Mudvayne, WhiteChapel, Job For A Cowboy, Korn, In Flames, Killswitch Engage.... and on and on..... but the fizz is so lost in the mix, its either not noticeable or completely inaudible to most people in most situations. But listen to the raw guitar tracks, and you will hear it, its not overpowering, but it is there.

The annoying fizz, IF it is pronounced, can usually be dialed out with a Peaking EQ with a tight Q and dropped, usually around 3k to 7k sometimes higher, sometimes lower, in my experience. I prefer a Peaking filter to a notch filter because the notch bandwith is usually too tight and it will eliminate a certain freq. but with that freq. gone, you will now hear the nearby freqs. much more clearly and then you have to notch those out.

Really, you should not be having that much fizz. If you do, as I said before, the GAIN is the first thing to check.

You will always have some fizz. This is not a problem because once in the mix, it will be inaudible.

You may hear a really distorted tone that sounds like it has no fizz, but with careful listening and a trained ear, you will be able to hear it.

Another thing you can do is place a chorus after the amp with a really low setting, this adds width to the sound and because of the dispersal, its much harder to hear the fizz.

Another thing is using a De-Esser plugin.

BUT, above all - revisit your Gain and treble settings. If you find you are having to really boost the treble to get the sound you want, it would probably be more advantageous to instead CUT some bass and mid, which will allow the treble to be more clearly heard without tons of dB of gain in the highs.

When the 11R first came out all we had was the G-EQ, so it was very difficult to get the sound right, but with the P-EQ its very easy to make precise cuts and boosts.

Maybe you can post a sample of your rig and let use hear what you are talking about, and even better, post the rig setting so we can hear it on our rigs and suggest changes.
hey benoni,

I was actually done with the topic so I saw your reply way too late, sorry.

and about the fizz, I guess I'm sort of figuring out how to cut out disturbing frequencies and I too actually noticed there is always fizz in the sound, even in the commercial records just as you said.

I think I'm now more accurate with parametric EQ than before, so I think I'm getting better results.

I'll put here a test record which is only 20 secs long, so you can listen to and give me further advices(if you care to )

http://soundcloud.com/dnbilgili/4-1 [gp6 drums ]
Old 04-20-2012, 05:33 AM

Would be fun to hear the track "undefizzed".
Old 04-20-2012, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mange586 View Post
Would be fun to hear the track "undefizzed".
oh, you're right but looks like I lost the session file so I can't really let you A/B it. I'll see if I can make another short record with fizz in it and without.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:41 AM

I have had extensive use of my 11 rack now for nearly 2 years and I have come to the conclusion that what makes the difference between it sounding fantastic and sounding horrible (with that typical modelling sounding crispyness) is dependent on how the true Z is manually set.

For my guitar (time machine '56 Strat) it sounds best at the lowest setting. On auto (which defaults to 1M, highest setting without any stompbox models) it sounds bright and plasticky to me.

The lowest setting results in slightly less gain from the amp models, but considerably less harsh top end - more vintagey to my ears, which is what I'm after. I even prefer it when using high-gain amp models (although I'm not an afficionado on high-gain/modern sounds).

The tips mentioned in this thread are very useful, especially the LP filter trick, but try experimenting with the True Z. It makes a lot of difference, especially if you are after a classic kind of guitar tone from the 11 rack.