Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 12-11-2019, 01:34 AM

Default Can someone pls explain to me the extra audio editing features of ultimate?

I have been trying to find info on this for ages.. can't seem to.. Avid just says "advanced audio editing"

I don't need the other features like expanded video and the post stuff..

All I want to know is what the extra editing features of ultimate are for *audio* and if there's any extra automation features (like curves for example).

Muchly appreciated.
Old 12-11-2019, 02:12 AM

Default Re: Can someone pls explain to me the extra audio editing features of ultimate?

That was intense.. i just opened the latest PT manual which for some reason previously escaped my brain, and searched for the word "ultimate".. over 300 hits.. I went through each and every one and found out the things that I am missing that I WOULD like..
Btw, this includes all the advanced audio editing if anyone is wondering as I have seen this question asked before.

-scrub trim tool - yes please
-trackpunch (punch in and out in multiple spots in one pass) - YES!
-automation trim but it’s not for plugins, only volume/sends. Still, a biggie.
-Glide automation seems interesting
-TCE to timeline selection.. you can stretch a clip to fit the selection.. love it
-Clip auto fades 1 to 10ms - should be in vanilla, that's ridiculous. Would save so much time with little pops and clicks.
-Replacing audio clips with other audio files..
-Clip fx
-VCA automation (another biggie)
-Sidechain PDC seems to still be lacking unless you use HDX cards!
-The basic video editing seems quite useful to a noob like me re video just to do some basic cuts.

Is it worth it? God no, not for the cost they ask.. 800$ per year on a SUB! per year! I have no need for surround and 60% of the search hits were related to surround tracks.
Would I like it? Absolutely.. I tell you, if they halved the price and added 64ins for core audio, i would absolutely go for it. We all know that's a purposeful and nasty limitation to try force someone into overpriced HD hardware.

Even if it was only double the price, without 64 ins I don't think I could do it.. as much as I would love especially a couple of those features above.

So.. yeah.. sorry about making the topic.. I finally answered myself. My bad.
Old 12-11-2019, 09:11 AM

Default Re: Can someone pls explain to me the extra audio editing features of ultimate?

I'm not sure if this is still true, but in PT12.8 vanilla there is no auto-crossfade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
I have been trying to find info on this for ages.. can't seem to.. Avid just says "advanced audio editing"

I don't need the other features like expanded video and the post stuff..

All I want to know is what the extra editing features of ultimate are for *audio* and if there's any extra automation features (like curves for example).

Muchly appreciated.
Old 12-11-2019, 09:32 AM

Yes, i would pay more but not as much as they're asking.
Old 12-11-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
-Glide automation seems interesting
Wow I had no idea that was thing. Super cool. Thanks for the heads up. :)
Old 12-11-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanrichard View Post
I'm not sure if this is still true, but in PT12.8 vanilla there is no auto-crossfade.
yes no auto fades you have to do them manually.. this is ok by me but a standard 1ms fade on each edge of clip is a great feature and ultimate only..

It seems PT vanilla is vastly behind the features of almost all other DAWs yet costs more than most.. Yet somehow I feel "free" in it and comfortable more than any other DAW which is why I can't leave.