Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2004, 11:46 PM

Default PT 6.4 Monitoring, Metering and other issues...

Hello,

So here are a few changes in 6.4 that I believe are for the worse. I hope that I am missing a preference or something to control these changes:

1. Auto-Input Monitoring NOT showing input level during playback. Originally, if a track was record-enabled, and Auto-Input was selected, upon playback the meter would show the input level, NOT what is on the track. I liked it this way because I would be able to see level if the singer was trying to tell me something during playback. Usually the lights are down, I cant see the singer in the booth, and if we are listening to a take for punch spots, I would watch the input meter for the singer to be snapping or vocally signaling me to stop playback. With 6.4, it shows whats on the track, even if the track is record enabled. Now I have to record enable another track each time before playback to be able to get these cues from the artist. Drag.

2. Switching between Auto-Input and Input-Only via Option-K not sticking. Maybe I am missing the new workings of 6.4's 'expanded' monitoring options, but with 6.4, these global settings are NOT retained. I was used to it staying on Input-Only until I told it to change to Auto-Input. Now it just always turns off Input-Only as soon as the track is taken out of record and a new one is enabled and I have to remember each time I want it on a track to enable it, again and again. Why?

3. I don't wanna be right about this one, but I think the Quick-Punch bug is STILL there!! I cant f*#$(N believe it. The most unprofessional bug in all of Protools history that makes engineers look like incompetent fools! Sometimes, for no rhyme or reason, Protools will not auto-punch at the in-point, and just roll on by in playback. Usually happens after about 5-7 punches at the same spot. Im always sitting there looking like a moron blaming the computer for it when I know the clients think i just messed up the punch. arrgh!

4. Grid Mode lines vs. Slip Mode lines. How hard would it be to have an option to retain the grid drawings in Slip mode, only grayed out? For some reason when you are showing anything other than whole notes in Grid mode, and you switch to Slip mode, the subdivisions disappear. When I want to move things around freely, but still see the grid, this is a drag. Even MORE annoying is when you have a triplet or dotted grid. The Slip mode incomplete grid switches to the default, non-triplet view. This makes it impossible to make free moves when the gray-grid in slip mode has NO relation the blue triplet or dotted-8th lines in Grid mode.

5. Selector tool. Why does it now allow you to select across multiple tracks?!? Sure its a great OPTION to have, but I wish I could turn it off. Im always moving to fast, selecting and deleting, and now half the time Im accidentally selecting more than I want cuz I move out of the tracks boundary. Maybe there IS a preference for this that i am missing?

I know this almost sounds like a rant but I welcome with open arms anyone that can tell me if I am missing something, like new preferences. Feel free to add to my list or disprove it in any way.
thanks!
MT

PT HD3 Accel, G5 Dual 2 Gig, Panther 10.3.(2.3.4)
•••DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE•••
•Use & Trust ø Cancellation!•