Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 02-02-2019, 03:17 PM

Default PT 10 installation on dedicated SSD w/OS X 10.8

Hi, I want to install PT 10 on its own startup SSD. It's HD X, I think - the most deluxe host-based version.

Does anyone know or know where to find a list of what files go where? Like an idiot I don't have the original installer.

TIA
Old 02-02-2019, 03:21 PM

Default Re: PT 10 installation on dedicated SSD w/OS X 10.8

By the way, the only issue with PT 10 until the current Mojave is the menu-requires-mousing-over one - it worked fine on my machine otherwise.

But now it's giving me assertion errors requiring a computer restart, and that's not good.

Mac Pro 5,1 12 x 3.46 GHz, 64GB, Radeon RX 560, Mojave 10.14.3.
Old 02-02-2019, 03:34 PM

HANG ON - the installer is online here!

And I remember that there are issues installing it on later OSes. But I'll create a 10.7 drive and install it there.

Thanks everyone for your help. :) :) :)
Old 02-02-2019, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Batzdorf View Post
HANG ON - the installer is online here!

And I remember that there are issues installing it on later OSes. But I'll create a 10.7 drive and install it there.

Thanks everyone for your help. :) :) :)

Hi,

PT10 install fine on OS 10.8

Its a bit unclear what you are trying to do here as your post is titled OS 10.8 and your thread talks about Mojave.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 02-03-2019, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
Hi,

PT10 install fine on OS 10.8

Its a bit unclear what you are trying to do here as your post is titled OS 10.8 and your thread talks about Mojave.

Chris
Actually it's clear what the op's problem is - he's having issues running PT10 on Mojave (no surprise there) and wants to have a separate ssd for installing OSX 10.8.5 and running PT10.

I'd suggest a simpler solution if his current system drive is big enough - partition it, format it to regular OSX specs - not APFS - and put OSX 10.8.5 on that.

I'm wondering how he got PT10 to even install on Mojave unless he did an in-situ install deal which is never cool.

QAPLA!
Old 02-04-2019, 02:01 PM

Right, Ima create another SSD dedicated to running PT 10, and I'll put OS 10.8 on it.

Again, I posted the question before realizing that the PT 10 installer is available online here, which is why I wanted to know what files go where.

But partitioning my startup drive so it's partly not AFPFS?!

No thanks. :)

I have a pretty complicated system with multiple back-ups, including bootable clones and rotating Time Machine backups. And years of updates. And...

... just NO! EEEK!
Old 02-04-2019, 02:07 PM

By the way, "how he got PT 10 to even install on Mojave" - I installed PT years ago and kept updating the OS.

Also, it's just the latest Mojave that's giving me the assertion errors. It could be for various reasons.

Also also, I don't only use PT, in fact I plan to put it on an external SSD so I can use it on different machines.

Also also also, a 128GB SSD - more than large enough to install PT 10 and all 75 billion of my plug-ins - is now $23.

Partitioning my startup drive... OUCH! Just thinking about that hurts my nether regions! :)
Old 02-04-2019, 05:34 PM

Quote:
By the way, "how he got PT 10 to even install on Mojave" - I installed PT years ago and kept updating the OS.

Also, it's just the latest Mojave that's giving me the assertion errors. It could be for various reasons.

Also also, I don't only use PT, in fact I plan to put it on an external SSD so I can use it on different machines.

Also also also, a 128GB SSD - more than large enough to install PT 10 and all 75 billion of my plug-ins - is now $23.

Partitioning my startup drive... OUCH! Just thinking about that hurts my nether regions! :)
Your first statement is the root of all your problems - doing an in-situ update of OSX which is NOT the way to go and will lead to problems like you're having. Incompatibility reigns supreme in your system.

Make sure that ssd you put PT on that you plan to take to other machines is also a boot drive elsewise you're going to have more problems. That's not the only issue - that drive may not have the drivers for the system(s) you're going to. Am I ever glad I don't bring you work.

Partitioning a hard drive is dead simple all handled through OSX disk utility. Takes less than 5 minutes. Of course the OSX install takes longer.

QAPLA!
Old 02-06-2019, 01:26 PM

The Internet.

What the AF?! Why the hostility?

Of course partitioning a drive is simple. The issue is what happens after I partition it: hours of phaffing around, even if I use Migration Assistant. I mean, I don't even have room on my startup drive for another partition!

And "in situ" installations... well, what issues am I having that you think makes that so bad that you think I'm unemployable?

I'll answer: the single issue I'm having is because I'm too cheap to upgrade PT, not because I don't do a clean install every time I update the OS.
Old 02-06-2019, 02:17 PM

Quote:
The Internet.

What the AF?! Why the hostility?

Of course partitioning a drive is simple. The issue is what happens after I partition it: hours of phaffing around, even if I use Migration Assistant. I mean, I don't even have room on my startup drive for another partition!

And "in situ" installations... well, what issues am I having that you think makes that so bad that you think I'm unemployable?

I'll answer: the single issue I'm having is because I'm too cheap to upgrade PT, not because I don't do a clean install every time I update the OS.
What hostility? I'm just pointing out where your problem lies and that's with how you're running your system.

And I never said you were unemployable. What I wrote is that I would never bring you work considering how you manage your system. It's just begging to cause issues. Migration Assistant garnered the moniker Migration Assassin because it's totally unreliable and can mangle data. Couple that with in-situ upgrades and you are ripe for incompatibility issues.

It's not that difficult to have a decent running system if you follow a few basic rules.

If you can't handle the truth then that's not my problem. If you think I'm hostile wait until Darryll Ramm sees this thread (which I'm surprised he hasn't chimed in yet).

QAPLA!