Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 10-08-2007, 08:06 AM

Default Digidesign, Please help us out!

That's really the only way I know how to sum this up anymore.

I've been an EXTREMELY loyal Pro Tools user for eight years now. I am a not just a hobbyist, but a professional engineer/studio owner using Pro Tools as the heart of the entire operation. For eight years, I have been one of the most viral grass roots marketing guys you could ever ask for. As a consultant to home users, I am responsible for 23 LE systems sold. As a professional sales engineer at your largest dealer in the mid-west, dozens more. I am absolutely in love with your software.

But I cannot deal with your compatibility and software bug issues for much longer. Out of those 23 systems in which I personally vouched for Pro Tools, over 50% of the users were frustrated with buffer under run errors, incompatible operating systems, having to purchase software upgrades only a few months after purchasing the system... the list goes on.

As a studio owner, I have had to credit customer accounts for countless hours of maintenence while we resolve computer issues during sessions. I've had to cancel sessions due to power harness failures, access violations, graphic freakouts. All of this costs me money, and credibility across the board.

I still love your software, and I want to continue to use your products. You cannot beat the quality and the feature set, but you can easily find something more stable. From a business side, there is no reason that I should still be using these products.

I just purchased an Intel Core 2 Duo Quad Core 2.4ghz processor, with a motherboard containing your supported chipset. 2GB of corsair ram, and I still had the same errors I had on my old system. That's $600 I threw into the air with the hopes that your software would be stable.

Please offer us some hope for increased compatibility and stability in your next releases. I never thought that in a million years I would consider another DAW, but we are nearly being forced. Please don't take this as a rant, but simply a request from an extremely loyal customer.

Thank you for your consideration.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:04 AM

Default Re: Digidesign, Please help us out!

Quote:
That's really the only way I know how to sum this up anymore.

I've been an EXTREMELY loyal Pro Tools user for eight years now. I am a not just a hobbyist, but a professional engineer/studio owner using Pro Tools as the heart of the entire operation. For eight years, I have been one of the most viral grass roots marketing guys you could ever ask for. As a consultant to home users, I am responsible for 23 LE systems sold. As a professional sales engineer at your largest dealer in the mid-west, dozens more. I am absolutely in love with your software.

But I cannot deal with your compatibility and software bug issues for much longer. Out of those 23 systems in which I personally vouched for Pro Tools, over 50% of the users were frustrated with buffer under run errors, incompatible operating systems, having to purchase software upgrades only a few months after purchasing the system... the list goes on.

As a studio owner, I have had to credit customer accounts for countless hours of maintenence while we resolve computer issues during sessions. I've had to cancel sessions due to power harness failures, access violations, graphic freakouts. All of this costs me money, and credibility across the board.

I still love your software, and I want to continue to use your products. You cannot beat the quality and the feature set, but you can easily find something more stable. From a business side, there is no reason that I should still be using these products.

I just purchased an Intel Core 2 Duo Quad Core 2.4ghz processor, with a motherboard containing your supported chipset. 2GB of corsair ram, and I still had the same errors I had on my old system. That's $600 I threw into the air with the hopes that your software would be stable.

Please offer us some hope for increased compatibility and stability in your next releases. I never thought that in a million years I would consider another DAW, but we are nearly being forced. Please don't take this as a rant, but simply a request from an extremely loyal customer.

Thank you for your consideration.
If I were you I would have a back up daw!

This is how I have solved my problem, the beauty is that you can use your Digidesign hardware with other daws through the ASIO driver.

You can transfer sessions into Pro-Tools and go back and forth if you organize your session effectively.

Therefore when Pro-Tools is not working you switch over to DAW XXXX hopefully something powerful and easy to use (Sonar, Cubase, Magix, Neundo, ACID, Vegas, Reaper, Adobe Audition, Traktion) there are very very very very effective alternates out there which work amazingly well and

YOU CAN USE ANY HARDWARE INTERFACE OF YOUR CHOICE!

Good Luck
Old 10-08-2007, 09:18 AM

Thanks for your suggestion, and that's true, there should always be a backup plan. Obviously there is it should work argument, but things aren't always that cut and dry huh? I do have a spare Pro Tools computer, which I have to pull out a lot. It doesn't have the processing power the main rig does, but it tracks with minimal errors.

As a company, I don't think that should be Digidesign's answer... "Have a backup DAW and/or a few other Pro Tools rigs for when the program crashses."
Old 10-08-2007, 08:33 PM

Well, consider another viewpoint. I have assembled 5 systems that have been very dependable. I also know folks that use other systems and have failures. Is any DAW truely bulletproof? I doubt it.

You complain about having to buy upgrades after a few months. Why? There is no mandatory purchase here. Plenty of users out there running 6.x or even 5.x. I see no reason that anyone MUST upgrade. I usually wait for the first cs update before jumping onto an upgrade. I also always perform an upgrade AFTER cloning the system drive, so if there are any hiccups(we both agree there often are), I can swap a system drive in 10 minutes and be up and running before the client gets back with his coffee. FWIW, I also have my system powered thru a UPS and, believe it or not, that has actually stopped some annoying problems. It has also saved my butt(and made me the hero) when 2 power failures hit paying sessions. I calmly finished whatever I was doing, saved everything and the clients were relieved(to say the least). Always have the Auto-Backup feature enabled and you will probably never lose more than 5 minutes worth of work.

"buffer under run errors, incompatible operating systems...." often equates to incorrect settings or incompatible hardware. That's not really DIGI's fault, is it?

I feel your pain regarding downtime with clients in waiting. That reinforces the importance of details in your system. If you make a living with it, take the time and spend the money to get proven solid performance(which many users indeed have).

Honestly, I am not trying to rag on you or make you look bad. The best thing I can hope for out of this post, is to make you think and approach problems from other angles. You may come out of this with advice or tricks that will help ME down the road. Hopefully some other users will have good advice to offer(I will certainly be watching). Good luck

I started in this business with nothing..........and I have most of it left

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-09-2007, 10:49 PM

I am very, very similar to yourself.

I too am a digidesign reseller and the Pro Tools guru in a huge music store in London. I am responsible for the sales of countless systems and spreading the word of PT throughout the music making world in a huge variety of ways. I am also a professional composer and engineer working almost exclusively in Pro Tools and a fully paid up fanboy, constantly bigging up the Pro Tools environments, setting up studios, doing consultant work and generally being an unpaid man in the field.

I too suffer from the many compatibility problems that dog PTLE, both on my own systems and with everyone else I know. PCs are the worst by a long shot, but there are clearly still problems on the Mac side as well.

If a customer comes into the shop looking for a new setup I want to offer a PTLE package along with whatever else they need. I always ask what computer they have and if it's a Mac then no problem - I tell them to get more RAM, another hard drive, warn of the Oxford Chipset requirements, the dodgy USB ports and tell them how to repair their permissions and point them in the direction of the Tech Support Utility and the DUC, but I know that I can sell them an MBox then and there and know it will work on their system.

If they say PC, then along side all that other stuff (plus informing them of Vista incompatibility, turning off internet and antivirus/malware apps, etc I have to get to the bottom of exactly what chipset is on their motherboard before we can go any further. If there's no way of doing that, then I have to send them out of the store to go an do some research on the website, or I have to sell them something else, as there is no way of telling whether Pro Tools will work on their computer, even if it's been bought at a premium price within the last year.

By gosh it makes selling something I love really difficult.
A copy cheap of Cubase will work on practically any computer made in the last 5-7 years and still offer a great many more features for their dollar. Sure, they have to then get their own hardware, but interfaces are a crowded market and there are some great products out there at very reasonable prices. Given the choice, I would still buy and sell Pro Tools systems, but if someone does any of their own research and doesn't rely on my advice, there's very little to sway them over to PTLE, unless they have some sort of connection with HD in their music lives.

And my own system? Hand built after six months research specifically for PT, yet still the errors, MIDI timing issues, recorded audio timing issues, etc;

The general compatibility and stability of PTLE has to become a serious point for Digidesign to address, otherwise in the face of the opposition, particularly with PTLE's anachronistic limitations, this part of Digidesign's kingdom looks set to take a decidedly downward shift in the future.
16 stereo track limitation for someone who parts with £1,700+ for a 003 is absolutely outrageous, I don't care what anyone says. And it's such a great bit of kit otherwise - they're so CLOSE!