Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 11-04-2020, 04:06 AM

Default How can I navigate between navigation points efficiently

I have been given several PT projects to work on. Each is several hours long. There's a vocal track in each project with an EQ that is bypassed but for a few hundred points on the track.

The vocal track is being re-recorded word for word and so I will need to reposition the automation points. (And quickly.)

First, I need to find a way to hop from automation point to automation point so that I don't have to scroll back and forth to spot them. I also want to ensure I don't miss any. As such, I'm looking for a shortcut to skip to the automation points to the left or right of the play position. What's the quickest way to navigate from automation point to automation point?

I also need to find the best way to reposition automation points. With the multi-tool, I see that I can drag the automation points one at a time. It would be better if I could drag two a time so to change the point at which the bypass is on/off in one click. Can I do that? Is there a quicker way?

Any help would be appreciated. I'm completely new to PT and I'm not finding the interface as intuitive as I assumed it would be.
Old 11-04-2020, 01:03 PM

Default Re: How can I navigate between navigation points efficiently

Do you need to reposition, or should you delete and start over with the new audio? I don't know a way to navigate, but there are plenty of more knowledgeable folks out there than me

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-04-2020, 01:10 PM

Default Re: How can I navigate between automation points efficiently

(Ouch, I've noticed the typo in the title. It should be: 'How can I navigate between automation points efficiently'.)

Ideally, I'd like to do something like position the play cursor at the place I want the bypass to start/end, hit a key and the nearest two points to the right of the cursor snap to the point. I would rather only move the points instead of delete them. I think deleting and creating them leaves more room for mistakes and I need to work as quickly as possible.
Old 11-04-2020, 02:14 PM

I am not aware of any way to do this. You essentially want a "tab to automation" which is a feature that has been requested multiple times in the past by other users.
Old 11-04-2020, 02:52 PM

That's annoying it seems like a basic feature.

Is there a way to automatically drop markers at the automation points (so I can jump between markers instead)?
Old 11-04-2020, 03:04 PM

Not that I'm aware of. You would have to manually add them... you could use auto name and the keyboard shortcut to do that as you are adding automation, but oh dear that is such a bad workflow. Tab to automation seems a pretty useful feature.... including just for finding wacky accidental automation stuff that should not be on a track.