Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2001, 11:35 AM

Default ProFX or SoundBlender; TDM or RTAS

Looking for some killer way out special effects plug-ins and I'm trying to decide between the Waves Pro FX bundle or Wave Mechanics SoundBlender. In terms of cost (Waves bundle $1,000; SoundBlender $495), the SoundBlender seems more attractive, although the capabilities of the Waves bundle seems more broad.

Any thoughts on favorites? Anyone used both?

Also, what are you all doing about the TDM/RTAS thing? I see the Waves stuff is available either on TDM *or* RTAS and not both. What a drag. I'd like to be able to have the choice of using host power or DSP power. It would be better if the plugs were packaged in both formats. Or am I missing something?

Old 03-20-2001, 12:07 AM

Default Re: ProFX or SoundBlender; TDM or RTAS

First of all, I think you automatically get RTAS when you buy the TDM version of any Waves plugs. You just need to copy the Waveshell-RTAS plug into the DAE folder, and there you have it. At least that's the way it worked on my Gold Bundle.

As far as SoundBlender vs. ProFX, I wondered the same thing myself. SoundBlender is like getting a software Eventide Harmonizer, lots of wacko cool fx, with an emphasis on pitch related stuff. I got the ProFX as part of the bundle, and it's got cool stuff, but I think you definitely get more bang for your sonic buck with SoundBlender, if you're looking for really wacky stuff. But the Wave's stuff sounds really cool too, with more "usable" fx.

Download the demos and check 'em out!
Old 03-20-2001, 08:17 AM

I have both. I like both. I use SoundBlender much, much more that the Pro-FX.

-The Recordist
Old 03-20-2001, 09:08 AM

The waves stuff is great for regular stuff (and the newer stuff like enigma can do some special effect sounds), but if you want "way out", go with soundblender, duy dspider, or the GRM stuff.

Mike
Old 03-21-2001, 11:34 AM

Totally agree with Mike.