Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 01-13-2017, 02:30 PM

Default Re: School me on HDX systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixchump View Post
BTW, what are you using for Mic Preamps? Is that coming from the console via Dante?
A pair of Yamaha RIO 3224Ds, for a total of 64 inputs to the Dante network. Plus the 4 mic pres on the Red 4Pre is I want them for smaller recording projects.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 06-13-2018, 02:56 PM

Hey Justice,

I'm putting together a similar rig. Can you tell me if you can connect both the 4pre and one hd32r to a native hd thunderbolt rig? With the 4pre having 2 primary connectors it has me confused as to wether I can access all 64 dante inputs as well as the outputs of the 4pre.

Thanks!
Old 06-13-2018, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SplitTheDifferenceAudio View Post
Hey Justice,

I'm putting together a similar rig. Can you tell me if you can connect both the 4pre and one hd32r to a native hd thunderbolt rig? With the 4pre having 2 primary connectors it has me confused as to wether I can access all 64 dante inputs as well as the outputs of the 4pre.

Thanks!

Native HD of any flavor has 64 input and 64 output maximum IO. A simple limit of having two DigiLink busses. This limit is pretty well specified in the product collateral.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-26-2018, 04:04 PM

How did the purchase and install work out?

We use the QL5 and can record 32 tracks into Protools 10(vanilla) with only a CAT5 ethernet cable and Dante Virtual Soundcard software. 32 tracks was all we needed at the church for basic recording/editing at the moment but will expand/upgrade in the future.

But when I get a chance I will do a test with my own Macbook Pro and Protools Ultimate 2018.4 to see if all 64 I/Os show up in with Dante Virtual Soundcard. I don't think they will but I will try. lol
Old 07-07-2018, 08:24 PM

Sorry I didn't see the last couple posts here earlier.

Our system is working out fine. Using the Red 4Pre and HD32R to bridge the Dante network into Protools is definitely MUCH better option than using DVS. I had some issues with DVS that left me reticent to really trust it. I could never figure out what the issue was and how to fix it. But once I switched everything over to the HDX system and the Dante hardware interfaces, I have had zero issues.

I even run QLab as playback to the Dante network through the red 4Pre using the HDX system and it works splendidly.

We had a show come through last fall (a symphony pops show) and I recorded 3 out of the 4 performances, all 64 channels right into Protools, about 2 1/2 hours each performance without a single hiccup. I didn't record the last show, just because I got lazy and didn't start the recording. I didn't need it; I was just using it as a stress test and it worked fine.

It's nice to be able to just turn on the Protools system and make sure Dante Controller is patched and hit record and get all 64 channels into Protools. It probably helps that my Mac Pro is running on a SSD, and all of my recording and playback drives are SSDs also, and I'm running 64GB of RAM. I've got headroom galore on this system.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 07-11-2018, 03:45 PM

Cool deal! I will look more into the Focusrite units for the future.

Never ran into any problems with DVS once it was up and running. Currently, Protools Ultimate will show and record enable all 64 Dante I/Os via DVS but it will still only record 32tracks from the QL5 at one time. I've even played around with recording directly from computer to computer via DVS (Ethernet ports/ cat5 cable) and the 32 tracks work well.