Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 03-03-2008, 07:34 PM

Default Worldclock Problem !!! Advice needed !

Hi !

Ok this is my config :

mics > octane 8 > DIGI003 mixer

Session = 48khz and 24 bit

BNC worldclock cable from DIGI003 worldclock OUT to Octane 8 worldclock IN

Octane sample rate selector to External ( worldclock )

Ok when i turn on the system everything run just fine BUT when i start recording with the octane 8 IT start to do the clicks and pops. This is the same than when i didnt have the worldclock cable and ididnt select the Worldclock to Optical in PT !

Whats happening ! Im not supossed to change this setting in PT with the Worlclock cable right ?
What im doing wrong ?

Thanks !!!!!
Old 03-04-2008, 03:13 AM

Default Re: Worldclock Problem !!! Advice needed !

Try clocking the Digi003 from the M-Audio mic-pre via the ADAT Optical and see what happens. M-Audio built an interface called the Delta1010 that had word clock i/o and as far as I know to this day, those BNC connectors never worked. Perhaps, that might be what is going on here.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Try clocking the Digi003 from the M-Audio mic-pre via the ADAT Optical and see what happens. M-Audio built an interface called the Delta1010 that had word clock i/o and as far as I know to this day, those BNC connectors never worked. Perhaps, that might be what is going on here.

Thats the connection that i had before the BNC cable ! The problem with that is that i have to change the EXTERNAL ( OPTICAL ) WORLD CLOCK PROTOOLS SETTING everytime i use the octane that pretty boring ! And sometimes my session was on 48khz and i didnt saw that th octane was on 44khz ja that gave a lots o problems whan playback after recording half of the songs intruments ! So i choose the BNC cable to forget about cghanging this PT settings !

Thanks !
Old 03-04-2008, 09:13 AM

May sound silly but have you checked the cable? I've had a couple of bad ones in my day.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:18 PM

"Thats the connection that i had before the BNC cable ! The problem with that is that i have to change the EXTERNAL ( OPTICAL ) WORLD CLOCK PROTOOLS SETTING every time i use the octane that pretty boring ! And sometimes my session was on 48khz and i didn't saw that th octane was on 44khz ja that gave a lots o problems when playback after recording half of the songs instruments ! So i choose the BNC cable to forget about changing this PT settings !"

Not if you leave the Octane powered up all the time(along with the 002/003. I have my 003 clocked via ADAT to a Focusrite ISA428 and have them both on the same power strip. They go on/off at the same time and my sessions are always sync'd to ADAT with zero problems. This method works fine and I would skip the wordclock connection until the day comes that you add a master clock to your rig(like an Apogee Big Ben). Your point about accidentally being at 44.1 on one piece and 48K on the other is valid, but I think the solution is to put a post-it somewhere that you can't miss as it really is a setting that you need to be aware of(don't feel bad, most of us have messed up on that one. the key is to learn from the goof).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-04-2008, 03:36 PM

Thanks !

1. The cable is new from Radio Shack 75omhs i think is good ! But im gonna check !

2. I understand the second one that having all powered on BUT i only use the octane 8 to record
live drums so i dont want it on all the time SO that is why i make the new connection with the BNC cable !!

BUT what is the correct conection anyway can you explain it with details ! Example may sound silly BUT > BNC cable OUT from DIGI003 to IN octane 8 , Octane 8 set to External and PT setting to external ! Ah one more question i still having the ADAT cable conected !

Thanks !
Old 03-04-2008, 03:55 PM

Not if you leave the Octane powered up all the time(along with the 002/003. I have my 003 clocked via ADAT to a Focusrite ISA428 and have them both on the same power strip. They go on/off at the same time and my sessions are always sync'd to ADAT with zero problems. This method works fine and I would skip the wordclock connection until the day comes that you add a master clock to your rig(like an Apogee Big Ben). Your point about accidentally being at 44.1 on one piece and 48K on the other is valid, but I think the solution is to put a post-it somewhere that you can't miss as it really is a setting that you need to be aware of(don't feel bad, most of us have messed up on that one. the key is to learn from the goof).

[/QUOTE]

No, I think I'm with Jeam on this one. If the Octane is set to external he should be able to change the rez in PT without changing cords and pushing buttons. If your PT interface is set to internal it should put out a signal at the BNC and the Octane should respond. Thats why I suggested he check the cable.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:22 PM

Hey !!

I made i search of " word clock " on digidesign website anf found this !!

What is the maximum length and acceptable capacitance for Word and Slave Clock BNC cables?
This is not a published spec, but in general:

Slave Clock: 0.5 meter, 50 pF
Word Clock 1 meter, 100pF

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...0&itemid=12242

Im not shure but i think thats mean 1f 6 inches right ?

That can be my problem ? My cable is 3 feet long !

And just to be shure ! I my setup right !

DIGI003 OUT > Octane 8 IN ( BNC cable )
Octane 8 OUT > DIGI003 IN ( ADAT CABLE )

Octane 8 is set to external and DIGI003 internal ! Is that setup right ??

Thanks again ! Ah i check the cable but it have the same problem and the new cable is 3 feet long too !!!!
Old 03-09-2008, 05:06 PM

Nop !

I tested a shortest cable about a feet long and the problem still there !

Thanks !
Old 03-11-2008, 04:02 PM

Its HARD to beleive that i cant find a solution to my problem !

Here i am again waiting for a reply from DIGIDESIGN for to emails explaining my problem !

Just to refresh in case that i dont explain myself clear !!

I have a BNC 75ohms cable from Digi003mixer Word Clock OUT connected to Octane 8 Word Clock IN
Then in M- Audio Octane 8 front panel i have selected the rate selector to Exsternal !

Ok everything runs just fine BUT i start to record anything and then it start to make pops ands click ramdomly !

I tried with a shortest BNC cable and 2 cables instead of one But the problem still !!!

Somebody OUT there with M audio octane 8 that can reproduce this !

Thanks !!!