How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 11-15-2016, 04:47 AM

Default Re: Which New iMac?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlerbri View Post
All great advice, Jack. Will do...and thanks!
Any time. I'm loving my 27" iMac with that large screen - can't imagine going to anything smaller.

QAPLA!
Old 11-15-2016, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Any time. I'm loving my 27" iMac with that large screen - can't imagine going to anything smaller.
Agreed. I have an old 24" iMac now, so it will be nice to have even more real estate with the 27".

The new iMac arrives tomorrow, but ahead of that I hooked up my new Neumann TML-102. Wow, wow, wow. Even with my Mbox 2 interface this Neumann mic sounds brilliant. Imagine when I set that up with the Focusrite Clarret 2Pre. This is really going to up my game.
Old 11-15-2016, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlerbri View Post
Agreed. I have an old 24" iMac now, so it will be nice to have even more real estate with the 27".

The new iMac arrives tomorrow, but ahead of that I hooked up my new Neumann TML-102. Wow, wow, wow. Even with my Mbox 2 interface this Neumann mic sounds brilliant. Imagine when I set that up with the Focusrite Clarret 2Pre. This is really going to up my game.
I know they (the TLM 102 & 103) are two similar but different mics; I have a pair of the TLM103's and they're a favorite of mine as they are quiet (low noise floor), particularly for some of the work I do here which needs the detail they pull out. Couple them with UA610 mic pres and I'm in heaven.

QAPLA!
Old 11-15-2016, 01:39 PM

+1
Old 11-17-2016, 05:26 PM

Let me know how it works for you!

I'm on the newest 27" 5k iMac with the R9 390, PT 12.6 HD and Sierra. I'm having really bad GUI and interface lag. It's like the old El cap bug got unfixed and the meters, playhead, zoom and edit commands are so laggy it's unusable. The workaround is to put PT into low resolution mode in Finder>Get Info.

Just curious if you experience the same issue and which iMac model you got, SSD, i7/i5, etx
Old 11-17-2016, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpellizzi View Post

I'm on the newest 27" 5k iMac with the R9 390, PT 12.6 HD and Sierra. I'm having really bad GUI and interface lag. It's like the old El cap bug got unfixed and the meters, playhead, zoom and edit commands are so laggy it's unusable. The workaround is to put PT into low resolution mode in Finder>Get Info.

Just curious if you experience the same issue and which iMac model you got, SSD, i7/i5, etx
Phew! Still those graphical issues on high end iMacs? That really sucks. Those ain´t no cheap investment actually.
Well, I just can recommend to get MacBooks Pro for the work with Pro Tools 12 to everyone finally. Probably the mid
2014 models with the dual graphics are still the best working (got one myself and can´t complain so far). Looks as
though at least. Even if the newly released ones look pretty nice too I have to admit.
If you want a large display for the work with PT just get an external 27" HD monitor display and connect it via TB
or HDMI. This even provides you the option to have 2 different screens (Edit window on the external and Mix window
on the Macbooks display or the other way round) as well as the option for a mobile solution additionally.
I love iMacs. I had one myself back in the day with PT9, PT10. Those are real fun to work with but as long as Avid
cannot get those graphical issues solved this ain´t funny at all.
Bummer!
Old 11-18-2016, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpellizzi View Post

Yeah, I'm hoping it does work when I get it, J. The iMac I'm getting (next Wednesday, 11/23) is the 27" 5K with an i7 and 512g of flash drive. I will test it out with the stock 8g of memory before replacing that with 16g of OWC memory modules. I will likely beef that up to 32 in the near future.

I'm also getting Logic Pro X pre-installed on the iMac, so if this wildly expensive 'pooter don't do Pro Tools I'll start learning Logic.
Old 11-18-2016, 12:13 PM

Keep us posted -
The configuration you are getting is the one I have been thinking of going to for many months now (just not needing the Hex Core on the nMP). At 512G on the SSD I think system and Audio recording on seperate partitions is all that many would need. Bump that to 1TB and my 500G sample library would easily fit as well. With the speed of that PCIe SSD no more worries for separate drives. Just one external for Backup.

Logic has worked very well on all my recent Macs too - including the new MBP...
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html
Old 11-18-2016, 01:06 PM

Brian (great name btw). I've had an upper end iMac for well over a year and it works great. I too have a Clarett 2Pre (while I love much about it, the mic gain is a joke). My philosophy is to always go with as strong a machine as you can afford, as things change and you could potentially be doing more taxing things in the future and knowing you have the machine you need to handle it is key.....afterall, it's mission critical gear. My system is: iMac 27" 5K, 4GHz Intel Core i7, 24GB Memory and M295 Graphics Card. I do some video editing from time to time, as well as photoshop etc, and it chews that up no problem.

All the best and Happy Thanksgiving

Brian (no longer in Charlotte)

Mac Studio M1 Max, Focusrite Clarett2Pre, Sennheiser 416, sometimes Beta Tester for iZotope
Old 11-18-2016, 05:56 PM

Hi Brian no longer in Charlotte but on the Florida Coast! Thanks for the message. I actually took possession of the iMac today. They shipped it early. Right now I'm in the process of backing up the old Early 2008 iMac to two external drives, yanking out the old Mbox 2, dusting where the old gear languished for years, and getting ready to unbox the 27" iMac in the morning. So excited!

I'd like to ask you a question. You have 24g of memory. Is that two 4g modules and 2 8g modules? Is that working out okay for you? Our friend, Jack, earlier in the thread said that Pro Tools likes evenly-sized RAM modules from the same manufacturer. But have you had any issues you can think of that might be related to unbalanced RAM modules?