Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2016, 12:46 AM

Default Window Manager of Pro Tools 12 - MS Windows vs Apple OS X

I recently installed PT12 on a windows desktop too, because in large projects the processing power of my MacBook isn't sufficient.

Comparing PT 12 on Windows and an OS X it stands that in the Windows version all windows are embedded into one major window. Contrary to the OS X version, where all windows are "free" and not embedded into one major window.

Why is this the case? Are there any plans to change this in the windows version? Especially If you are working with multiple monitors, these approach (all windows embedded into one major window) isn't very userfriendly.
Old 10-12-2016, 04:11 AM

Default Re: Window Manager of Pro Tools 12 - MS Windows vs Apple OS X

Feel free to vote : http://protools.ideascale.com/a/dtd/...a-tab-comments

My workaround is a template with window configs, where the main window is stretched to the best regarding the different monitor resolutions.
Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060
Old 10-12-2016, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joachim View Post
Is this going to reach the right developers at avid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joachim View Post
My workaround is a template with window configs, where the main window is stretched to the best regarding the different monitor resolutions.
So sad that an industry standard software doesn't delivers the same user experience in its different OS versions.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rty View Post
Maybe. May need 1286 positives votes, maybe 30 negative votes : http://protools.ideascale.com/a/idea...e?pageOffset=0

Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060
Old 10-12-2016, 08:26 AM

Do a search, there are ways to do this.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 10-12-2016, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rty View Post

So sad that an industry standard software doesn't delivers the same user experience in its different OS versions.
Adobe does this too, and many others. It's actually not a Windows issue as many believe, take a look at GIMP, you can indeed make separate windows for everything if you want to take the extra time to do so.

That said, it hasn't been an issue to me, maybe because I'm use to how so many Windows programs work. For Pro Tools, just stretch the background window across your monitors, and arrange the Mix and Edit window how you want.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 10-12-2016, 02:17 PM

After you do what Benoni said and have the arrangement you want, exit ProTools by pressing ALT and F4 (at the same time). The next time you open ProTools, your configuration should be there.

The only thing that will mess it up is if you change monitors (or resolution). I swapped out one of my monitors and if I open up an old session, I have to resize the mix and edit windows.

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Old 11-22-2016, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
Adobe does this too, and many others. It's actually not a Windows issue as many believe, take a look at GIMP, you can indeed make separate windows for everything if you want to take the extra time to do so.

That said, it hasn't been an issue to me, maybe because I'm use to how so many Windows programs work. For Pro Tools, just stretch the background window across your monitors, and arrange the Mix and Edit window how you want.
I just feel like AVID doesn't really care about windows users. The top bar of the sub windows inside the main window is ugly it looks like a windows 7 window.
Every other DAW i've worked on(studio One, FL studio, Sonar) have their own window design with natural support for multiple monitors.
Old 11-22-2016, 07:14 PM

I have had no issues running multiple screens on Windows. Its simply a matter of stretching the parent window to fill the screens where you want to place MIX and EDIT windows. I currently run 3 screens here. MIX and EDIT are on 2 screens and the third is home to any floating windows I wish(usually has the system resource meter, memory locations and FabFilter Pro EQ that sits on my Master track for the handy spectrum graph).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave