Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-1999, 03:58 AM

Default One Lynx or two vicar?

Whenever I hear the word Lynx mentioned it's always as a pair....Do you need two to get a 2'' tape to chase PT or one? Whats the deal? They make a new one, does this do the job of two now, all in one?
Thanks in advance
Jules
Old 10-18-1999, 04:15 AM

Default Re: One Lynx or two vicar?

You'll only need one in your case. You need one Lynx for every machine that needs machine control. PT doesn't need machine control - it just locks to SMPTE and releases to clock (you're slaving the 2" and Pro Tools to video, right Jules?)

On the other hand, you could go with a Microlynx. I'm not an expert with the Microlynx, but my understanding is that you add cards to it to control multiple transports simultaneously - a video deck, a 2" machine, and Pro Tools could all be locked and controlled with one Microlynx.

Old 10-18-1999, 08:27 AM

A stock Microlynx provides control for two machines. A third machine can be controlled with the addition of an optional card. If you need clock distribution, another card for the ACG slot is needed. It even sends and receives MTC. However the Microlynx does not communicate with the Digi Serial Port.
Old 10-18-1999, 01:57 PM

Jules,
If all you have to do is lock 2" tape to PT's then you dont even need a Lynx. All you have to do is stripe SMPTE on one of the tracks on the 2" and PT's will lock to that. If however you are looking for a master control module for your studio I would recommend a MicroLynx. As said before it comes standard with control for 2 machines (VTR's, ATR's etc.) and it generates MTC and you can get the optional 3rd card if you expand later on. It also has the optional ACG card so it can act as the master clock source for your studio.
Good Luck!
Old 10-18-1999, 01:58 PM

Jules,
If all you have to do is lock 2" tape to PT's then you dont even need a Lynx. All you have to do is stripe SMPTE on one of the tracks on the 2" and PT's will lock to that. If however you are looking for a master control module for your studio I would recommend a MicroLynx. As said before it comes standard with control for 2 machines (VTR's, ATR's etc.) and it generates MTC and you can get the optional 3rd card if you expand later on. It also has the optional ACG card so it can act as the master clock source for your studio.
Good Luck!
Old 10-18-1999, 02:18 PM

Thanks guys. I want 2" to chase PT for better sound into PT than vice versa. I don't need extencive machine control - just a "dump all tracks into PT in one pass" function.
I want to move towards a house ext clock source like an Aardsync device.
Will the Microlinx work well with that?

thanks

Jules