Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 11-26-2017, 02:59 PM

Default ilok via a usb hub ?

I'd like to have my ilok plugged into a USB hub plugged into my mac.
However everytime I open pro-tools 12 with my ilok plugged into a usb hub the license fails to be detected and I have to plug the ilok into the mac directly, this wastes a port on the new macs with only 2 usb ports.

Have any of you got the mac working with a usb hub and the ilok plugged in to it ? what hub did you use ? did you make any software changes to get it detected ?

thanks.
Old 11-26-2017, 03:07 PM

Default Re: ilok via a usb hub ?

We have two usb hubs on each tashcan mac and one usb2 hub for the ilok only onmy brand new MBP and all works great.

However on one of the trashcans we had to get a powered hub as the trackball and midi interface was on the same hub it lost ilok connection too many times to not do something about it.

Check for powered usb2 hub for ilok as usb3 has issues of its own.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-27-2017, 08:34 AM

What speed USB hub are you using ?
Old 11-27-2017, 08:57 AM

Just a normal USB2 hub. The less fancy the better for ilok keys

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-27-2017, 09:10 AM

I know that USB3 used to be a "no go" for iLoks, but for the last 3 months(or more) I have 3 iLok 2's in a USB3 powered hub with zero issues(yes, its connected to a USB3 port on the PC). I do think you probably NEED a powered hub

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-02-2017, 03:31 AM

that would be really disappointing if you "need" a powered usb hub,

I've also had the same issue with my ilok using usb port on a powered thunderbolt 2 dock.

The amount of hassle and pain iloks cause on a day to day basis is shocking.
Old 12-03-2017, 04:51 AM

Well, I do not seem to have any issue with my iLok in a USB(2.0) hub and running ProTools.
As my next question, I'll have to find out if I really need my Mbox2 Micro with my PT.
(NEW: Windows 10 home, Creators Fall update [Version 1709, SysBuild 16299.64, 64bit], 16 GB RAM [1600 KHz]
C:\ = SSD 500 GB, D:\HDD 1 TB @ 7200 rpm, Intel I5 quadcore...
PT12.8.2, Mbox2 Micro
[And Sibelius 8.7.2])
Old 12-03-2017, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Darcy View Post
I'd like to have my ilok plugged into a USB hub plugged into my mac.
However everytime I open pro-tools 12 with my ilok plugged into a usb hub the license fails to be detected and I have to plug the ilok into the mac directly, this wastes a port on the new macs with only 2 usb ports.

Have any of you got the mac working with a usb hub and the ilok plugged in to it ? what hub did you use ? did you make any software changes to get it detected ?

thanks.
Have struggled a lot with this issue the last few months and did not have any luck using the iLok on
1) a good quality powered USB 3 hub
2) an unpowered USB 2 hub

Finally found only two ways to get that son-of-a-b... of an iLok to work as it is supposed to, which were
1) on a powered USB 2 hub
2) on the built in USB 2 hub of the Apple (Numeric Keypad) Keyboard

At the moment I΄m using version 1 which means I have plugged a powered USB 2 hub into my powered
USB 3 hub. On this powered USB 2 hub I have the iLok, my Apple (Numeric Keypad) Keyboard and another
USB 2 flash drive with all my Waves, PA and HOFA licenses on. All other USB gear I have connected to the
powered 7-port USB 3 hub which is directly connected to the (USB 3) port of my MBP. So this finally works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wire57 View Post
Well, I do not seem to have any issue with my iLok in a USB(2.0) hub and running ProTools.
As my next question, I'll have to find out if I really need my Mbox2 Micro with my PT.
(NEW: Windows 10 home, Creators Fall update [Version 1709, SysBuild 16299.64, 64bit], 16 GB RAM [1600 KHz]
C:\ = SSD 500 GB, D:\HDD 1 TB @ 7200 rpm, Intel I5 quadcore...
PT12.8.2, Mbox2 Micro
[And Sibelius 8.7.2])
Actually the Mbox 2 Micro is not supported with Windows 10/PT12 anymore. Check it out there.
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...-Micro-Drivers

You might get another compatible, more current audio interface or use the the internal engine of your
computer with the Asio4all driver. However the Asio4all driver will work for mixing and editing only
probably. If it comes to recording you rather will need an external audio interface because of latency
issues with the internal engine/Asio4all system (besides the lack of decent Audio In/Outs).

As being on PC/Windows obviously you might look into RME audio interfaces which are still the best
working, most stable ones for Win/PC systems.

The best of success to both of you.

Cheers.
Old 04-07-2019, 12:26 PM

*Solved* (well at least for me)

I know this is an old thread but just wanted to post this in case someone comes across it as this issue had bedeviled me for years!

I have a 2013 MBP 15" Retina and had the exact same issue that the OP was experiencing. I tried just about everything mentioned in this thread except for the USB 2 powered hub. I was using the OWC Thunderbolt 2 Hub for my peripherals but my iLok would not work on it.

But now OWC has come out with the Thunderbolt 3 Hub so I grabbed one and a couple of Apple Thunderbolt 3 to 2 adapters, wired everything up, plugged the iLok into the hub and lo-and-behold, it "finally" works for me!!

No more eating up a USB port on my laptop just to run my iLok!!

OWC link is here...
https://www.owcdigital.com/products/...3-dock-14-port