Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 02-12-2009, 02:37 PM

Question Re: RTAS or memory problems?

Quote:
Quote:
Ok, I'm going to need you to post your installed plug-in version list
DO you mean the plugs that come with PT8 because those are the only plugs loaded which are Digidesign plugs? As I said before I haven't loaded any plugs other than what comes with PT8?

Already conveyed Atto SCSI card is connected to 4 SCSI Seagate 73g HD LW....

Already conveyed Fresh install of 10.5.5 on new harddrive

Tried 1 processor which seems to help a little meaning less artifacts but receive noise spikes/pops.

Did Digidesign really try PT8 on an older G5 ?
Old 02-13-2009, 04:10 AM

Cool Re: RTAS or memory problems?

reading other threads here on this site it seems that old G5's are not the only ones being hit with this problem. My question now is why was this not caught by Beta testers
Old 02-13-2009, 08:56 AM

Default Re: RTAS or memory problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
If you go to 7 processors, you should set your CPU Usage at 80-85%. Is this where you have it now?

Typically going down to 7 should work fine, however it really depends on how many plug-ins you have in the session that aren't fully RTAS optimized. The more of those you have, the more you'll need to lower the number of processors. Keep in mind - by lowering the number of processors you're not really 'losing' anything. Processors dedicated to RTAS can only run real-time optimized plug-ins. If you have plug-ins like Amplitube in your session, you need to give them processor time separate from RTAS processes - so those processors still get used, just for different things.

I doubt you should need more than 6GB RAM.

Also, keep in mind that we have seen issues on systems that were upgraded from Tiger, rather than having a clean install of Leopard. If you install Pro Tools 8 over a previous version that can cause problems as well - doing a clean install of both versions and then reinstall just Pro Tools 8 will likely clear things up.

It is imperative that you only have compatible plug-ins installed. Having any incompatible ones installed, even if they're not used in the session, can cause all kinds of issues.

Pro Tools Plug-In Compatibility Grid
Thanks for the information. I did indeed do a clean install (it is a spanking new machine). In fact, I wiped the installation that came with it, and redid it! On the advice of Digi, I'm reducing my RTAS processors to 2. Thanks for the info on plugs that aren't recognised. I have Amplitube 4 in there, so I shall bin it. I'll let you know the results when I try it, when I'm back from the wilds.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblasters View Post
reading other threads here on this site it seems that old G5's are not the only ones being hit with this problem. My question now is why was this not caught by Beta testers
Now that is a great question!!

www.sugarhillstudios713.com
Old 02-16-2009, 06:26 AM

Unhappy Re: RTAS or memory problems?

Is there a fix or is the only fix an new computer I think there should of been something said about running older G5's
Old 02-16-2009, 03:08 PM

I have the same issue, but only with Amplitube 2.0. Running a dual core PPC HD2, with 4 gigs ram, latest leopard, and latest PT8. All other RTAS plugins I have are fine e.g. Kontakt, Korg Digital, Ozone.....just amplitube.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:09 AM

Hello,

I'm back and now in audio post. I removed any plugs that weren't being loaded, and dropped my RTAS cpu usage from 8 to 2. All is absolutely grand.

Thanks for the help.

d