Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 09-13-2011, 09:34 AM

Default Error, missing iLok authorization for Pro Tools 9

Hey,

I've seen this problem mentioned a few times on here but just wondered if I was doing something wrong that hadn't been mentioned. I cannot under any circumstances get Pro Tools 9 to launch because of this:

'Error, missing iLok authorization for 'Pro Tools 9'. Please insert the necessary iLok and restart Pro Tools'.

I'm running on Windows 7 on a HP PC.
I've recently installed the Pro Tools 9 crossgrade for students (previously had Pro Tools LE8).
Being a crossgrade, I had to buy an ilok2 seperately.
I've registered with ilok.com and successfully downloaded my license.
I've installed the driver and client software from ilok.com.
I've installed the Windows driver from PACE.
I have also downloaded Pro Tools 9.0.02 and then 9.0.05 as suggested in my downloads in my Avid account.
I have an M-Box2 and entered the correct code when asked.
My ilok account says I have the Pro Tools license from digidesign and the expiration says 'never'.
The blue light is on the ilok and i've tried it in all my USB ports even after altering the USB power options as suggested in another thread.

I have been trying everything possible for 5 days now and i'm 100% confident I did all that was asked during installation. The only suggested solution which I haven't tried is to spend yet more money and buy an iLok 1 which appears to be more compatible. As they are discontinued, this is an expensive and time consuming task.

Does anybody know of anything I can try that doesn't involve throwing more money away just to get the software working which I purchased a week ago?????
Old 09-13-2011, 12:58 PM
Avid

Default Re: Error, missing iLok authorization for Pro Tools 9

Does the iLok sync properly when you go to the iLok.com website?

Which other USB devices do you have connected to your computer?

Did you install the latest iLok driver after installing Pro Tools or making any other changes to the system? Did you uninstall the old/currently installed driver before doing so?

Does the iLok show up correctly in Device Manager (no exclamation marks or anything else indicating it may not be working correctly)?
Old 09-13-2011, 01:52 PM

Yes it syncs properly on the iLok website.

I have my MBOX2, a USB keyboard, a USB mouse, a powered hard drive and a USB hub (not powered) also plugged in. I have tried different combinations of ports being used and unplugged unused devices, though I have no choice than to have my keyboard, mouse and MBOX2 plugged in.

I followed the instructions that came with Pro Tools 9 for installation so I'm pretty sure I would have installed them after installing Pro Tools when I found it not to be working properly. I made sure my drivers were up to date before beginning the installation process though.

I didn't remove any old drivers as in the past when I have updated them, it automatically over-rides them.

Yes, the iLok shows up correctly in device manager.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:29 PM
Avid

Have you specifically tried removing the unpowered USB hub?
Old 09-13-2011, 11:32 PM

It's funny you should mention that because I removed my keyboard and mouse from my PC and plugged them into the hub to try that and they both didn't work. I therefore removed them from the hub, put them back into USB ports on my PC and then as suggested, removed the hub altogether and guess what?

PRO TOOLS STARTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thankyou so much.

Could it be a faulty USB hub or do I need to invest in a powered one to avoid this again? My PC only has 6 USB ports so it's a bit of an issue as I only have one free!

Thanks again for your help, it's a huge relief just to see it start up!
Old 09-14-2011, 10:51 AM

Scratch that last post, I've just tried loading it again tonight and I'm back to the same problem!!!!!!

This has to be something being temperamental. I haven't changed anything since this morning when it worked fine.

I just don't get it.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:54 PM
Avid

Martin - if you go to this location on your computer, do you see a LicenseSupportSetup.exe?

C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Temp\tXXXX.tmp\Lic enseSupportSetup.exe

If so, can you try running that file. I've had a couple other cases where the setup is not completing and running this portion of the setup seems to clear up the problem.

It seems likely that there may be some other software on the computer interfering with the installation. Do you have any kind of virus protection, etc. that may be preventing the iLok driver installation from completing?
Old 09-14-2011, 05:21 PM

What I have found is that the PACE ilok driver setup cannot find the License Support.exe file because it is programmed to look in the wrong location. My latest ilok driver install failed until I found the location of this file and browsed to it during installation.

This file, BTW, is almost in the correct folder. The Folder listed as tXXXXX\ might be named just about anything and thats why the installer can't find it.

C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Temp\tXXXX.tmp\Lic enseSupportSetup.ex

Thanks,
Greg
Intel i7 3930K, Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 (rev 1.0), 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 ram, EVGA Nvidea GT 720 TI video card, a Samsung 850 Pro (256 GB) OS drive, 2 Samsung 850 Pro's (512 GB) in externally mounted drive bays for session and sample storage, Win 10 Pro, PT Ultimate (Native)2019.10, HD Omni, HD I/O 16x16 .
Old 09-15-2011, 12:28 AM

Hi,

No the file C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Temp\tXXXX.tmp\Lic enseSupportSetup.exe isn't listed.

There are loads of other files with similar names, i.e. all with four numbers instead of the 'XXXX' but not one with the X's. (I'm not an expert on this btw)

I have the latest Norton 360 installed.

Could there be an issue with that?

Thanks
Old 09-15-2011, 05:18 AM

I may have misunderstood what you meant by 'Xs'! (I did say I was no expert!)

There are four different numbered folders which contain a 'License Support Setup'.

I clicked on the first one but it says 'Do you want to completely remove the selected application and all of its features'?

As you were suggesting I run this, does this message mean that it is already installed and therefore I will be removing it if continue?

Martin