Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 03-06-2006, 06:25 PM

Default Help - Lost Hard Drive

Hello,

I am suddenly having trouble with my machine... Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a G4 Desktop Quicksilver 933 running Os 10.3.8. Everything has been working fine until today. I turned on the machine and it cannot find my second hard drive. I have one hard drive for aps (which it sees) and a second hard drive for all my audio which suddenly does not show up. I am getting the following message.

"You have inserted a disk containing no volumes that Mac OS X can read. To continue with the disk inserted click ignore."

I tried running the disk repair through Disk Utilities and had no luck.

Again...if anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it. I have a partial backup of the drive but not of my most recent work.

thanks
Old 03-06-2006, 08:14 PM

Default Re: Help - Lost Hard Drive

Quote:

"You have inserted a disk containing no volumes that Mac OS X can read. To continue with the disk inserted click ignore."

I tried running the disk repair through Disk Utilities and had no luck.

Again...if anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it. I have a partial backup of the drive but not of my most recent work.

thanks
Ouch.

You could try to save the drive with Diskwarrior or TechTool. Could just be a corrupt driectory or driver partition.

Can you hear it spin-up? Does it make any loud clicking sounds? Those are not good.

If it's an old drive that's been flogged heavily with audio files it could very likely be toast.
Old 03-06-2006, 08:48 PM

Indeed Ouch.
If you use Disk Warrior (and i think you should) be very carefull if on step 5 appears the
"Speed inhibited by disk malfunction"
In that case you should compare the new "rebuilt"directory with the actual disk content and if there's any substantial difference,
DO NOT replace the directories and take the HD to specialized repair center.
Asuming you don't have a back up....
Good look , really
Old 03-06-2006, 09:06 PM

Simone,

This is all I have to offer and I know it has works. worked for me two times, "DATA RESCUE", you can get a copy at www.prosofteng.com it's a must have for all of us.

Just my 2 cents.

Lou

Let us all know how it turns out
Old 03-06-2006, 09:35 PM

I would also check the cables to the drive. I have heard that some folks have gotten a temporary fix by placing the drive in the freezer for a few hours(in a ziplock bag). It worked long enough to transfer files to another drive.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-06-2006, 09:53 PM

The freezer trick can work on a drive that's experiencing a bearing failure. It's really a last resort though, and if there's anything really important on there you may want to see a professional rather than try your luck with a crude hack.

Not that I haven't done some crude hacking.
Old 03-07-2006, 05:38 AM

Thanks for the replies...

I ran TechTools Deluxe (version 3) that came with the machine... It found 5 errors when it ran the surface test and also encountered problems on the volume test... I am at work now and don't remember the language exactly for the Volume test. When I run TechTools it recognizes that the drive has data on it with X number of files on it (can't remember the number)... I took that to be somewhat of a positive sign.

I have an external drive. Will Disk Warrior or TechTools Pro allow me to copy the data from the affected drive to my external drive? Should I try Disk Warrior or TechTools before taking the machine into TekServe or the like? The Version of TechTools that I have does not give me an option to copy the data or make a disk image of the drive.

Thanks again.
Old 03-07-2006, 05:42 AM

I did not notice any clicking sounds but I wasn't listening for any... I will keep an ear open for it... I noticed that whan I run Disk Utilities it sees the drive but it no longer has the name I asigned it. It used to be called "Audio" now it has some other generic name.

Again thanks...
Old 03-07-2006, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Simone,

This is all I have to offer and I know it has works. worked for me two times, "DATA RESCUE", you can get a copy at www.prosofteng.com it's a must have for all of us.

Just my 2 cents.

Lou

Let us all know how it turns out

Which of the three (Data Rescue, Disk Warrior, or TechTools) should I try? I have only used TechTools Deluxe it doesn't seem to fit the bill for what I need at the moment. I have heard of Disk Warrior but have no experience with it or Data Rescue. Is it possible to buy and download Data Rescue off the ProSoft website? I'd like to move on this as quickly as I can.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:07 AM

This happened to me last year after (someone) accidentally put the system to sleep while PT was open. Lost everything on the drive. It is either fatally corrupted or the drive is fried. Not even a peep out of it. Tried all the usual suspects to revive it to no avail. It is sitting on my desk in front of me to remind me never to do that again. Sorry... I have no solutions. I feel your pain.