Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 04-17-2004, 12:26 PM

Default recording Max MSP Runtime

have this patch i NEED for this sound. im running it in OS9. the only way i can think to get this to disk is going out the 001 to DAT. there must be better/simpler way to do this.

i have pluggo runtime installed, maybe there is a way to run the patch right inside PT? that would be absolutely frikking ideal....

Thanks for any suggestions. B.
Old 04-17-2004, 12:44 PM

Default Re: recording Max MSP Runtime

Use the DirectConnect audio driver in Max. That will allow you to pipe your audio from Max right into Pro Tools, via their DirectConnect plug-in "MSP-PI".

I'd suggest you take a look at the Audio I/O chapter of the MSP2.pdf document.

Leigh
Old 04-17-2004, 01:20 PM

Thanks thats fantastic. One problem, when I insert DirectConnect and MSPI into the plugin folder (as directed in the manual) PT won't boot, gives the error "Digidesign hardware not installed or in use by another application"

what am I doing wrong? (OS 9.2.1 / PT 5.1.1/001)

Thanks for the help. B.
Old 04-17-2004, 03:23 PM

It sounds like something is already open, using the Digi ASIO driver. Do you already have the Max/MSP Runtime open when you launch Pro Tools? If so, don't do it like that - make sure you launch PT first, then Max.

Also, in the Finder, Get Info on the DirectConnect plug-in and check which version you have. IIRC, the last version put out for LE systems was 5.1.1cs9. You can download this version from Digi if you don't have it.

Leigh
Old 04-18-2004, 09:25 AM

Ok first problem solved, the runtime download included a different version (TDM maybe) of Directconnect. Downloaded the version you said, PT boots up fine now (btw I had nothing open when I was getting that error previously)

I have read the I/O part of the pdf, and am following the instructions to the letter.

- opening PT session
- opening Max patch, load sample, and get it playing
- assigning output of patch to Directconnect
- inserting MSP plug on an audio track (tried also Aux)
- assign input on MSP plug (tried them all:)
- tried hitting rec, bussing it out to other tracks/Auxes....nothing.

I'm a little stumped. Thanks for the help. B.
Old 04-18-2004, 12:18 PM

Quote:
- assign input on MSP plug (tried them all:)
Well, this is a good sign that you can do this, it means that DirectConnect is working. Otherwise the plug-in just says "no links available" instead of "MSP I/O 1", etc.

I'm wondering about the routing inside the Max patch now, as in which DirectConnect channels it's sending on. But you say you tried them all.... what is this patch that you're using in the Runtime? Does your version of the Runtime have a DSP Status window, accessable from the menubar? Also, try opening the Status window, from the Windows menu, and see if there are any errors being listed there.

Leigh
Old 04-18-2004, 05:30 PM

yeah, it looks like it should work. the patch is MSP Granular 2.5 by Nobuyasu Sakonda. (fantastic - beautiful interface, great sounds, though I can hear it only through sound manager).

I assign the output to Directconnect, when i check the output routing it comes up default to all Directconnect outputs. Like I said this looks like it should be working

Any ideas? B.
Old 04-18-2004, 07:08 PM

One idea would be to test your DirectConnect plug-in with something that you know works. Or in this case, something that I know works, anyways. Go to the reFuse Software site (url below), Freeware section, and download the Ugly VSTi Interface for OS 9.

You'll also need to grab a VSTi plug-in to load into the Ugly - the Cheeze Machine is a nice free one.

The Ugly is a standalone app, so it won't be dependent on your MSP Runtime. Launch it, load in a VSTi plug-in, set the output for DirectConnect (instructions included on this) and see if you're getting audio in Pro Tools that way.

Leigh
Old 04-18-2004, 08:32 PM

I am coming in a little late in the game... but thought I would offer a couple of ideas...

when I need to get something from max/msp into protools I do one of two things... I either setup a simple multitrack recorder within max/msp using sfrecord~ or I make a plugin out of the patch using plugmaker (and the other related plugin objects) and run the patch as a plugin... I have tried running Max along side PT in OS 9...but it ussually is more hassle than it is worth...

with sfrecord~ you can set the number of channels you want to record...up to 28 channels... and then dump the file into PT when you are done...

making a plugin requires a little more work...but works well in the end...

hope this helps

sg
Old 04-18-2004, 09:22 PM

thanks for the thought, but i'm using Runtime (and editing patches is beyond the scope of what I have time to learn)

Directconnect is the right way - I just need to figure what is configured incorrectly....oh and Leigh would I pipe Cheez machine inside Protools also with the MSP plugin or is there another that comes with it?

B.