Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2003, 07:01 AM

Default what are the ratios like, for users of protools to

what are the ratios like, for users of protools to nuendo, or logic or digital performer is there a "head count"?
i'm trying to figure it out to prove a point. and im sure others would like to know.
TIA
r
Old 09-16-2003, 03:59 PM

Default Re: what are the ratios like, for users of protool

45 reads and no idea?
Old 09-16-2003, 04:08 PM

That's a complex question that would be hard to answer, even if the companies involved released sales figures (which they don't).

It's more than a matter of daw software sold. What would really count is what's actually being used. Lots of casual hobbyists buy things that they seldom use. Additionally, there are a lot of facilities that buy multiple software packages just so they'll be prepared for any contingency (e.g. a client walks in with a project started on another platform). I won't even get into the extant copies of illegally procured software.

So, the short answer is that there's really no way to know.

Lee Blaske
Old 09-16-2003, 04:22 PM

Default Re: what are the ratios like, for users of protools to

There's a lot of issues involved.

Pro studios:
Mostly Pro Tools, although I hear Nashville cats like to use other things as well, like Radar, Nuendo, etc.

Logic, for any serious MIDI sequencing. But not in place of Pro Tools, as an addition.

I hear they love Logic in Europe. They got PT too, and it's a standard, but Logic is more popular over there than it is in the states.

Project studio / hobbyist:
Probably still a lot of Pro Tools (LE; probably more on PC than Mac), but then you start to see a lot of things like Nuendo, Cubase, Cakewalk, Digital Performaer, Logic, Acid Pro even, etc.

What is the point you are trying to prove??
Old 09-16-2003, 06:28 PM

Er...Don't dismiss DP as a hobby or project tool. A of lot of serious film composers use DP for midi over logic, front ending digi hardware.
Old 09-16-2003, 07:54 PM

i work with alot people that own and use protools. some use logic and others use digital performer, as a sequencer. now in my world, i know more people that seq. on DP than logic and i wanted to know which user base is bigger. i dont want to bash logic, but i seem to find it less than easy to get around in. and as a owner of logic for several years im thinking of crossgrading to DP just because it seems simpler to use. my point is if DP has a much larger user base than logic it would put the nail in the cofin for me.
Old 09-16-2003, 10:16 PM

Quote:
my point is if DP has a much larger user base than logic it would put the nail in the cofin for me.
Put the hammer away. Although we don't have precise numbers, I think you can gauge things somewhat by looking at the sheer number of Logic forums, not to mention the depth of web resources. Worldwide, it's a very popular piece of software.

Maybe it's just folks in the U.S. that have trouble figuring it out. That would be an indictment of the educational system in this country, wouldn't it?

BTW, another place to do some empirical investigation on this topic would be the OSX Audio forum at: http://www.osxaudio.com/

That site is a clearing house of information for all OSX audio applications, and if you check it out, you will see that Logic users are well represented.

Lee Blaske
Old 09-17-2003, 06:12 AM

Quote:
There's a lot of issues involved.

Pro studios:
Mostly Pro Tools, although I hear Nashville cats like to use other things as well, like Radar, Nuendo, etc.

Radar is a recorder not a workstation... You can (in a very cumbersome way) move things around a little. But, it doesn't have plugins or a mix environment. It pretty much just records... It's really easy to use, so it becomes completely transparent on a session. And it sounds GREAT! It then gets transferred to PT/Nuendo/Logic/DP... But mostly PT. I use this... www.digitalaudiomiracles.com
Which lets you pull the drive out of the Radar and (in my case) plug it into a Mac and transfer to Protools. It's a great way to work.

Old 09-17-2003, 06:18 AM

Quote:
I hear they love Logic in Europe. They got PT too, and it's a standard, but Logic is more popular over there than it is in the states.
oh, Logic is much more popular in England, at least, than it is in the states. Logic is huge over there. some of the logic ppl use PT as well, some of them hate PT.
Old 09-17-2003, 06:34 AM

I've been reading Future Music, Computer Music and Sound on Sound for the past 4 years, and through all the artisit and engineer interviews and studio visits, I'd venture to say that Cubase (VST and SX) still seems to be the most popular in the UK, even more so than Logic. Things could be different now, but again, that's just what I've noticed.

In the US, I think it's Cakewalk/Sonar and Logic for the semi-pro to pro, followed by Cubase and ProTools, with an increasing number of home studio users since the advent of Digi001 a few years ago.