Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 03-09-2008, 06:54 AM

Default Upgrading from MBox 2 Mini to Digi 003 Rack

Tried searching for this and didn't have much luck, so if I am asking a known question my apologies in advance.

I'm currently a Mbox 2 Mini owner and I just placed an order for an 003 Rack. I would like to pack up my Mbox Mini and put it on Ebay and I know about the transfer of ownership documentation, no headaches there.

When I get my 003, do I have to uninstall Protools completely and reinstall it using the CD that comes with my 003 so that the new owner has a valid Protools license?

Also am I correct that the plug-ins that came with the Mini can not be transfered (No ILok Key), only the Mini and Protools itself?

Thanks for the help
Old 03-09-2008, 07:17 AM

Default Re: Upgrading from MBox 2 Mini to Digi 003 Rack

Provided the version of PT currently installed with your Mini is compatible with the 003, it will work as the software is not interface specific. As I understand it, a buyer would not be prevented from running the PT/Mini because you'd not uninstalled.

It may be that you feel more comfortable having the correctly coded software installed or want to undergo reinstallation if the 003 includes a more up to date version.

Which specific plug-ins are you referring to?

http://www.myspace.com/philogg
Old 03-09-2008, 07:30 AM

Stuff that comes with Ignition Pack 2

Amplitude LE
Analog Factory SE
Xpand!
Ozone 3 Lit
Trash Lite
Spectron Lite
Timewarp 2600 Lite
Reason Adapted 3
BFD Lite
Abletron Live Lite 6
Melodyne Uno Essential

I don't recall registering a lot of this stuff, maybe its not even required but I know a few of them did require it (Like Ozone). I'm not concerned if they can't be transfered I just want to tell the new owner that these plugins might not transfer.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:56 AM

I assume that the 003 will ship with this same bundle. I'm no lawyer but, this being the case, I would think that you could include the cards for the unregistered software.

http://www.myspace.com/philogg
Old 03-11-2008, 06:45 AM

I made a similar purchase last year (only, I got the 003 Factory).

The software transition went smoothly...in other words, no need to un-install/re-install.

Regarding the Mbox Mini plug-ins:
if the Digidesign web site is accurate, you'll be getting the exact same plug-ins with your 003...unless you get the 003 Rack "Factory" version, in which case, you'll get a few extra plug-in's.
So, I'm not sure if your Mini plug-in transfer is really an issue to be concerned about.

My only issue was with the "Ignition Pack 2":
I made the incorrect assumption that those plug-ins were mine to keep, not demo's.
Of course, after some reading, I leanred that they were only demonstration plug-in's, good for about two weeks.
A side note on authorizing these plug-ins: a real pain in the derričre.

Hope this helps.
PreSonus DigiMAX FS
Old 03-11-2008, 08:29 AM

Yeah,

I went back and looked at that last night, I didn't do the factory (Just a regular rack), so I will just give the new user the ignition pack 2 CD/licenses that comes with the 003R.

Looks like it will be pretty painless and I don't have to go through the headache of reinstalling Pro Tools which will be a real time saver.

Now if I could just fast forward to Friday when the 003 arrives, waiting sucks.

Anyway thanks to you both for the assistance.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:38 AM

Quote:

Now if I could just fast forward to Friday when the 003 arrives, waiting sucks.

Yep, I know what you mean.
I made my purchase March last year...it didn't arrive until June!!!!!
PreSonus DigiMAX FS
Old 03-17-2008, 01:01 PM

Wanted to provide an update on this; the 003R arrived at my office Friday afternoon and everything looked great. Being a cautious person I called DigiDesign to see what the recommended procedure is and it’s a good thing I did. The previous version of 7.3 that came with my MBox Mini didn’t include drivers for the 003R, it includes everything BUT the 003/003R so they recommended that I uninstall Pro-Tools and reinstall 7.3 using the disk that came with the 003R than proceed to do the 7.4 upgrade.

This is where I went terrible wrong, in my infinite wisdom I figured if 7.4 is on the Mac already and the 7.4 CD clearly says it includes the 003R drivers, why reinstall everything??? So I proceeded to disconnect my Mini and just hook up the 003. Big mistake, 003 wasn’t recognized at all, tried different firewire ports, tried reboots, disconnecting and reconnecting.

Nothing worked.

At this point I figured I would follow Digi’s recommendations and uninstall everything and reinstall using the disk that came with the 003R. Go through the motions get 7.3 back on, hook up the 003R get really excited because the green link light on the rear comes on. Start Pro Tools, same result, device not found. Uninstall and reinstall 3 or 4 times, no luck. Take a stab and install 7.4 upgrade, still no luck; at this point I start reading the answer base and everything is pointing to a corrupted OS (bummer ). At 11:30 Saturday night I reinstall OSX and go to bed.

Sunday Morning I install 7.3, hook up the 003R and still get the same result, really pissed at this point and I’m about to pack the thing up and return it. Picked up the phone to call Digi and realized they aren’t open on the weekend (another bummer ); figured I would try the 7.4 upgrade one more time if that didn’t work back she goes. Reboot after 7.4 install and finally the 003R is found and begins a firmware update!!

In short:

A. Uninstall Pro Tools if you going from an MBox (any of them) to a 003, not sure if this applies to the 002.

I’m guessing that the OS reinstall would have been avoided if I had done that from the start.