Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2006, 12:07 PM

Default How do I record onto an external hard drive?

Hello everyone!

I have a question for you which I've looked for an answer for and come up with nothing.

I record with PT 6.4 on my iMac G5, but I'm going to start recording also outside using my iBook G4 (768 RAM, 1.25). I'm going to be using an external drive for this, an Iomega 250 GB drive, via firewire.

My question is this: exactly HOW do I do this? record onto the external drive directly, I mean. Please tell as if you were talking to a little kid. Granted, I'm no idiot and have been recording with PT for 4 years, but I've NEVER done it with an external drive.

Please help me!

Thanks to one and all,

Sergeman

http://www.facebook.com/sergeamh
Old 06-04-2006, 12:16 PM

Default Re: How do I record onto an external hard drive?

Quote:
Granted, I'm no idiot and have been recording with PT for 4 years
then you would know that the audio is recorded into the "Audio" folder inside of the session folder.... does that help or do you need more clarification?
Old 06-04-2006, 12:32 PM

OK... I see I didn't make myself understood.

What I want to know is how I make PT record DIRECTLY onto the external firewire hard drive. I think I've heard or read something about "installing pro tools onto the drive" but exactly how does one do that? And if it is just a matter of turning on the drive and moving PT onto it, then how to I end up recording into it? Don't I need something like the system (OS X) IN THE DRIVE itself also?

I've also heard people saying something like "an external drive dedicated only for the PT sessions and the computer drive for the system". So, how do I make that distinction, technically speaking?

Thanks again!

Sergeman

Old 06-04-2006, 12:37 PM

dude, all you have to do is open a new session, or an old one, and go file>save as. then select your external hard drive as the destination. you'll be tracking directly to that drive.
Old 06-04-2006, 12:44 PM

Quote:
I think I've heard or read something about "installing pro tools onto the drive"
If you read that somewhere, it was incorrect. You don't need to install or move PT to the firewire drive at all, nor do you install any OSX or anything else on it - the firewire drive just needs to be formatted using Apple's disk utility in the correct format and you're ready to go.

Quote:
I've also heard people saying something like "an external drive dedicated only for the PT sessions and the computer drive for the system". So, how do I make that distinction, technically speaking?
The only thing that matters is where you save the PT session. If you create or save a session on the firewire drive, then that's where all the audio will be recorded, if you create/save the session to your internal drive, then that's where the audio will go. The firewire drive is 'dedicated' in the sense that it's where all your ProTools data and audio files will be stored, but your PT application, OSX etc. is sill installed and running off the internal drive, thus it's the 'system' drive.
Old 06-04-2006, 12:46 PM

Thanks! But if I put "save as" then that DOES mean that I'll be saving into it. But what about using the better rpm of the ext. drive (7200 as opposed to the slower iBook drive)?

I mean, would I start my NEW session and IMMEDIATELY save it into the external drive and, in that way, effectively be using the external drive and NOT the internal drive for all recording purposes?

I'm also asking this because they say that from the very beginning one should always be recording into an ext. drive and not onto the computer directly.

Thanks!

Sergeman

Old 06-04-2006, 12:51 PM

Sergeman,

It is a very simple process, First make sure the Drive you will be using is Qualified by Digidesign either by contacting them directly or checking the compatibilty link on Digi's site. Next connect your external drive to your computer, either thru your Firewire 400 or 800 port on your Mac. (I like to make sure everything is off when connecting devices). Turn everything on and start up Pro Tools, create a new session and choose the External Drive as the location of where this session will be. It's as simple as that! I hope this helps.

Michael
Old 06-04-2006, 01:04 PM

Ok, everyone!

All my questions have been completely answered, and I thank everyone of you for taking the time to answer my questions.

Thanks again, and thanks a lot!

Sergeman

Old 06-04-2006, 01:14 PM

Good!

Make sure the drive your using is a good one. Meaning, I'm not sure about the the Iomega. I use OWC and LaCie drives, these drives run at 7,200 RPM (the faster the better!). I connect either of these drives to my 800 port on my PowerMac G5. And like Slim said, make sure the Drive your using is formatted properly.
Good Luck!

Michael