Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 02-18-2012, 02:16 PM

Default Re: Record Offset for 3rd Party Hardware? WTF!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwrecker View Post
...That is uncalled for. There are people who are on this thread all trying to do their best...
My bad. It just did not make sense to me, I will sit out for a while...
Old 02-18-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwrecker View Post
Why The anger display? That is uncalled for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by panamajack View Post
My bad. It just did not make sense to me, I will sit out for a while...
What anger? My take away was of someone with such an intense thirst for knowledge and understanding that the formalities were momentarily forgotten. I can empathize with that. PJ did nothing to warrant your call-out TW, and he should not be shamed into submission and withdrawal.

You go PJ.

Hackintosh - Gigabyte Z77X-UP5TH, Intel Core i7-3770K, 32GB 1600Mhz DDR3, 2x SATA 6Gb/s 240GB SSD, 3x SATA 6Gb/s 1TB HDD, 1x Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, Mojave 10.14.4.

Pro Tools HD Native 2020.3, Focusrite Red 8Pre, Mbox 3 (Mac)
Pro Tools 11.3.2, Mbox2 (Win 7)

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 02-18-2012, 09:15 PM

Cool Re: Record Offset for 3rd Party Hardware? WTF!!

Hello,
PJ - What I Mean: Starting in 2005 a latency test routine has been part of the curriculum. AES has consistently had less latency than SPDIF on our system.
That being said, NO LATENCY RESULTS from Thursday nights test can be relied upon.
I have been teaching recording technologies for 16 years, have been engineering in studios since 1978 and have my own home studio since 1991.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWK7YevMptc for a short video if you are interested.

This info was included in the original post you quoted.
We have MacPro 12 core machines running OSX 10.6.8 - 4 PT9 DAW's (3 at school & 1 at home). No PC's / No Windows.
Everything is new this year: Mac's, Snow Leopard, HD Native card, PT9 and updated plugins. Only the 96-IO's are from the old system.

To be fair I ran DP all day today. It did ok for 4.5 hours then started some wacky behavior dropping out softsynths or playing out of tune notes where I had to restart to clear it up. I seriously think OSX 10.6.8 has a lot to do with our problems.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don T View Post
HD Native card
Hasn't it been established already that only HD Core/Accel cards seem to behave as expected.

Since the HDN & HDX cards are both new/same gen. products and seem to be build upon a similar hardware foundation (pcb + FPGA), wouldn't it make sense that this problem would possibly originate from the same place?

Enquiring mind wants to know...

Darryl Ramm
Old 02-19-2012, 07:54 AM

Getting back to title of the post, before the topic morphed into a possible malfunctioning of Automatic Delay Compensation with regards to PT10HD as pertains to HDX cards, the following fall 2010 post by wintaper subsequent to the release of Pro Tools 9 did elicit the following response from Avid relative to this issue:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
...SteveBoker had it right regarding the H/W Insert Delay in this post:

http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=1711016&postcount=30

Now, unless I'm mistaken, that should work for you. Yes, I know you're NOT using inserts, but we're just doing this as a workaround. I should have been more clear on that.

And, yes, the ability to manually compensate for delays has not been fully implemented yet, for various reasons.

One thing I wanted to point out is that delays in interfaces should automatically be compensated for via the ASIO or Core Audio polling that occurs at driver level and the only manual compensation that should be needed is when you have an external device in your recording chain that's inducing additional delays.

I did want to point something out, though - you say:

The RME is your interface you're using for Pro Tools, correct? If so, it should automatically be compensated for as long as it's reporting it's correct delays via the ASIO or Core Audio driver. The only delay you should have to compensate for is for the device(s) between the microphone and the RME. Is that what you're doing? The buffer in the RME, if it's the primary Pro Tools interface, is automatically compensated for.
There is a lengthy post on Gearslutz where SteveBoker reiterates the workaround. See #46 dated 26 Nov 2010 if interested.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:00 PM

Quote:
........There is a lengthy post on Gearslutz where SteveBoker reiterates the workaround. See #46 dated 26 Nov 2010 if interested.
ok so I tried this workaround and got back VERY interesting results..in fact bewildering.

HDX card PTHD 10.1, delay comp on, HDX playback driver, IZ ADA converter with SSL HD MADI card = 4 samples late.

HDX card PTHD10.1, delay comp on, RME HDSPE MADI card/3.01 driver via Coax, Iz ADA converter w/SSL HD MADI card = 0 Samples early/late

WTF?!!!!! using the asio driver with the HDX and workaround was dead ON!! But using the HDX driver seemed to be faulty.. it was still 4 samples late!! HUH?!!! tried it over 10x unloading and starting a new project and same results.

Something is definitely broken somewhere.....how is that using the asio driver is dead on for this workaround but the avid hdx driver is not?

I don't necessarily believe that it is just the HDX cards...I got this result with the HD Native card also. I think this is an ADC coding issue.

BTW When I used the Lynx Aurora or the HD I/O 16x16 with the Avid driver (HDX or HD Native)..everything when using delay comp on was good...perfect sample accuracy with a loopback test..UNTIL any VI's got inserted. That's when things began to get all out of wack. If I used regular inserts(delays, reverbs) on audio tracks all good...but VI's really threw the adc and recording new loopback passes with them instantiated off. recording from busses were a few samples off also. I added a few midi tracks and it was all slop! I mean WTF is going on here? I thought perhaps that maybe a certain VI had an issue reporting latency correctly..but whatever VI I threw in ..the same result would become visible. Interesting....it may not be just one concrete issue..it might be something accumulative. Digi support being mum on this...is really not cool as it's evident it's just not an isolated issue.

So while yes i morphed the thread as a result from digging in order to rectify this odd situation...the original issue is extremely valid. We need a Record Offset to allow for fine tuning of ADC for people who need critical professional performance out of their "professional" tools. As a result I'm extremely shocked that Avid are and have been aware of this for over a year and have not done one thing to satisfy what most if not all their competitors see as a "standard" feature. Especially considering the entry fee into HDX just so I can be cool and play ball with the other kids. An entry 11.5k half-assed proprietary system should be able to do what a 500 dollar program does with the added benefit of an under the desk tug and rub with an ego stroke if you ask me. This is just BULL****...I'm being made to feel like Chicken Little here.

on another note: some food for thought: if it's true that some plugs report back incorrect latency figures thereby throwing things off in PT...why do these same plugs in a competitors product work fine and this competitor's ADC is perfectly on point? Never had this issue in C6 or N5..just sayin...

Dennis
Old 02-20-2012, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Getting back to title of the post, before the topic morphed into a possible malfunctioning of Automatic Delay Compensation with regards to PT10HD as pertains to HDX cards,
Automatic Delay Compensation was not the problem being tested. The problem is the record offset.

C
PT 2019.12 HDX OMNI+HDX8x16 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.12.5 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL-GML -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Lie View Post
I just ran a test at the OP request.

I tracked a kick drum sample on a mono audio track
I sent that track out analog 7 of my 8x8x8 into analog 8 of the 8x8x8
I recorded the in of analog 8 onto a new track

With Delay Compensation ON - the tracks lined up
With Delay Compensation OFF - the second tracked was delayed by 80-90 samples.

Carl
Quote:
Yes, I had applied any plugs with sample delays it would not have worked.

It should have been dead on with delay comp off. Furthermore, the second track was clipped although recorded at a lower volume. I don't have soft limit checked on any inputs.

Carl
I thought the thread dealt with both. I was only addressing the record offset with the link in my post.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:38 AM

Got it.

I'm guessing they know this is happening. Hopefully they will address it soon.

C
PT 2019.12 HDX OMNI+HDX8x16 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.12.5 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL-GML -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
I'm guessing they know this is happening. Hopefully they will address it soon.
BWA-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHHOHOHOHOOHHOOHOOOOOOHO
HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE

Oh, excuse me. I didn't mean to LOL.

Hackintosh - Gigabyte Z77X-UP5TH, Intel Core i7-3770K, 32GB 1600Mhz DDR3, 2x SATA 6Gb/s 240GB SSD, 3x SATA 6Gb/s 1TB HDD, 1x Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, Mojave 10.14.4.

Pro Tools HD Native 2020.3, Focusrite Red 8Pre, Mbox 3 (Mac)
Pro Tools 11.3.2, Mbox2 (Win 7)

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control