Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2004, 02:49 PM

Default Re: Best Laptops for PTLE EMachine M6809

Would I be able to use an ILOK for Plug ins if I didn't ever connect to the internet?

I updated with all of the above Hot fixes. I'm still waiting on the Microsoft CD I ordered (that you recommended) Will I still need to go online and get the SERVICE PAC after all this?

I don't know about the iLOK stuff, I personally avoid using them (but then again I couldn't afford any plug-ins at the moment anyhow)!

The CD you ordered comes with Service Pack 1 if that's what you meant. Of course, ProTools requires it to be installed so I'm not sure that's what you were referring to since I assume you already installed ProTools. If you meant all the "other" patches then the answer is a big YES. This won't end anytime soon!

Zuma
Windows 7
Old 07-15-2004, 02:52 PM

Quote:

In the end, it's not about gear... it's about good ideas, patience and some talent.

Right on!!!
Windows 7
Old 07-16-2004, 09:07 AM

"In the end, it's not about gear... it's about good ideas, patience and some talent."

Very true. It's too bad one has to go so far outside the "Mainstream" to find the mother load of those qualities...in everything in life...
mcbv
Old 07-16-2004, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Quote:

One more thing. If this happens to be your second computer then why connect to the Internet at all? Keep your Audio machine as clean as possible! My brother has one of the 6809 beasts and it has never seen the light of the Internet. No problems at all!

Just my 2¢.

Zuma
If you actually need to be able to connect it to the internet, my suggestion is you partition your system drive into three different partitions as follows:

C:\ - System drive 1 (winXP, for ProTools only, network card disabled etc)
D:\ - System drive 2 (winXP, for surfing and other stuff, everything enabled)
E:\ - Files and documents

Doing this will present you with the option to boot your computer with either a PT-optimized WinXP which you keep as clean as possible. Or - a standard WinXP where you can test things out, install MS Office, connect to the internet and get updates, run antivirus software to check all your partitions, test RTAS plugins outside your production enviroment etc etc...

The downside to this is that an extra XP installation is rather space greedy, but I've tried with hardware profiles and different users for different purposes and found that it's really not as effective as simply running two different installations.

Keeping your documents on another partition than the system drive is highly recommended. This way you can completely re-install your system without affecting the documents on it.

/anders
Can I do this SPLIT UP with the Windows XP default users set up?? Or isn't this the same thing? Do I have to "Partition" another way?
Western 7200 External
768 RAM
Midi USB UNO
Old 07-16-2004, 11:16 AM

Heck Man. I think I'm going to use the 6809 JUST for Protools use. I don't want to risk messing up my music in anyway.
Western 7200 External
768 RAM
Midi USB UNO
Old 07-16-2004, 04:43 PM

If your "properties" indicates Service Pack 1 then you are set and can install Pro Tools. The Microsoft CD still comes with additional patches you should install. If you can't wait just go to Windows Update. I hope you have cable or dsl.

Setting up different users is not the same as partitioning two different XP installs. Partitioning is the better way to go.

Zuma
Windows 7
Old 07-17-2004, 12:45 PM

Quote:
If your "properties" indicates Service Pack 1 then you are set and can install Pro Tools. The Microsoft CD still comes with additional patches you should install. If you can't wait just go to Windows Update. I hope you have cable or dsl.

Setting up different users is not the same as partitioning two different XP installs. Partitioning is the better way to go.

Zuma
I got the CD today. I think I'm good to go- even though I HOPE to keep the computer off the internet. We'll see how that goes...

Now that I am done configuring the Notebook to the best of my ability I think I'm going to load the MBox and protools stuff.
Western 7200 External
768 RAM
Midi USB UNO
Old 07-20-2004, 05:04 PM

Hello everybody

I've been reading the DUC for a week or so now since i got myself a 002R and have not been able to make it work properly in my old computer. Now that i have to buy a new one, i decided to tell you how i am doing with the laptops i'm testing. It may be useful to someone.

My old computer was an ACER Aspire 1601LC, P4 2,4GHz, 512 RAM, 30 GB. It is supposed to run efficiently but it doesn't. Actually it gets pretty hard to get it to PLAY 4 minutes without getting errors . I am talking about 8 tracks with no inserts or sents!!

Right now i am using a Toshiba Satellite P20-S203 (P4 3GHz, 512MB RAM, 80GB, NVIDIA GeForce5200, and an incredible 17" panoramic screen). I have performed Davecs on it with both PT 6.1 and 6.4.
With the 6.1 I have been able to get 32+2, but i got a 31 with 6.4. Anybody knows why does this happen? I have used the internal HD and it didn't give me any problems, nor with an USB2 External Drive either... It costed me 1,899 Euros (about $2300) so i'm probably going to keep on searching. No eMachines here in Europe, so I'll see what I can find... The best AMDs i can get here right now are the Athlon XP-M 2800+, and i am not sure if they will be able to get me a fair 32+10, wich is what i´m aiming for.

If anybody has any suggestions, i'll be here testing some Centrinos (and letting you know) including a Sony Vaio...
Old 07-21-2004, 03:08 PM

As I said yesterday, I tested two more computers today:

Sony vaio A115S (Centrino 1'6, 512RAM, 60GB, ATI 64Mb)-- PT Ver. 6.1 = (Davec) 32+13. Although i was not able to bounce easily. Anybody knows if this is normal? The price paid was 1999 Euros.

Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo M1420 (Centrino 1'6, 512RAM, 60Gb, ATI 128Mb)-- PT Ver.6.1 = 32+ 12. Price paid: 1599 Euros. I don't think 400 Euros (About $480) are worth that extra aux channel. Plus, i like the widescreen.

By the way, just to check i am doing Davec all right, we're supposed to use 44.1, 24 bit, right? and the aux channels must have the compressor, 4 band eq, slap, medium and long delays? this is how i am doing it... please, tell me if this is right.
Old 07-27-2004, 04:03 AM

Default so which laptop should I get in Australia

Gday!!

I am in the market for a laptop here in Australia...would love to get hold of an emachine but I cant find a dealership out here...
What other systems do you recommend...Dell 8600...seems to be 5 or so varities of the one model...
Toshiba Sattelite???any particular cpus/chipsets/etc to aim for???like 7200rpm drives...

Would love to see some complete configurations to hunt down the correct system to run 002rack & CMD8

Which systems run on athlon besides the emachine or does anyone know where to get them in Australia???

Help greatly appreciated

zenmango