Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2009, 02:48 PM

Default "temporary safe"

Is there any way to make vca(or any other fader) for example not to recalled by touching it?
For example - in the digico sd8 when i recall a scene and hold the vca fader lets say in -5 its stays in -5 and don't resist you to go to 0(or any other location)???
Old 11-18-2009, 09:40 AM

Default Re: "temporary safe"

What you can do is go SNAPSHOTS > RECALL SAFE tab > OUTPUTS tab > VCA tab and click on stuff you want to recall safe for a given VCA, you can select "all" by clicking on the square button right after the VCA name, a little A inside the button will light up.
There is a safe button on each input channel that can be assigned as Automation Safe or Solo Safe or Bank Safe. That preference is in OPTIONS > INTERACTION tab > Input Safe Switches
Old 11-19-2009, 03:42 PM

Safe is not a good options because i do want the vca to change from scene to scene as i programed them.

but from time to time the dynamics of the play changes and i need that kind of option
Old 11-20-2009, 03:51 AM

Go into snapshot preview and remove that channel from the scope or alternatively whatch it';s position and pull it straight back to where you want it. As it is only one channel that you are talking about I can't see this being too much of a problem if you have decent mix chops.

Regards

Roland
Old 11-20-2009, 04:37 AM

Its for a thither show not rocknroll.
Cant let it go to 0 and then pull it back....it's a very dynamic show and it's not something i can fully predict between scenes .

its just seem weird to me that i can do it in a yamaha or digico
Old 11-20-2009, 03:02 PM

Then surely you would want to solo safe that fader from then on into the show? Why would you want it to be solo safe sometimes, but not others? Either you are running the show with manual fader moves or automated snapshot levels? you can choose to propagate following scenes with a fader change, either absolutely or relatively, if it is a "changing" dynamic every show, I would want my levels to be dictated by how things are running on the night.

To be honest I don't think the Yamaha is in the same league soundwise. The Digico is a very good desk, if it's that much of a deal breaker and you can't manage in on the Venue, then the Digico is the desk for you.

Regards

Roland
Old 11-21-2009, 09:31 AM

the console is already there - well i guess i need to add an "oh [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep]" safe to the suggestion bored
Old 11-25-2009, 06:44 PM

you could go into preview mode and unscope it and then change it back later.

The other thing I do sometimes is just put my thumb on one side and finger on the other side so the fader doesn't move hardly. So I'm not really grabbing the fader from moving completely but it would stop immediately.
I don't think it would hurt to do this...the scene gets changed but my fader stays put.
Old 11-26-2009, 07:50 AM

There are a couple things you can do that I didn't see mentioned here that might work for you:

1.) Set the console safe buttons for automation safe mode(should be somewhere in Options--I have the ability to toggle things on a function key). Now SAFE the VCA's from automation. On the D-Show, there's a button above the master section in the SNAPSHOT OUTPUT SAFES section. OR you can press the SAFE SELECTED button, and then select the VCA's you want to safe and then press SAFE SELECTED again to safe those faders. You can also just click on the safe button for the channel above each fader in the software.

2.) Take the VCA's out of scope in snapshots where you don't want them to move. The faders don't need to be in scope when you are storing and creating snapshots. You can always add them back into scope later--everything is stored in every snapshot, the scope just determines what will be recalled.

Dave