Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 08-21-2020, 04:01 AM

Default Set ProTools to NOT force you to name and save a session at the very beginning?

In ProTools when you create a new session you are forced to name it right away and pick a save location. The problem this creates is I almost always have to go into my files and rename a project, because I don't know what to call it right off the bat. I also have to frequently go into my files and delete random projects that I started and decided not to finish.

With most programs this is not a problem because you are only prompted to pick a name and save location if you decide you want to save the project after you've already started it. This makes it easy to discard a project you've decided isn't worth saving. This is how Microsoft Word works for example. Is there a way to set pro tools up like this?
Old 08-21-2020, 04:31 AM

Default Re: Set ProTools to NOT force you to name and save a session at the very beginning?

No. PT starts to write everything to the session folder as soon as it begins. No way to start creating in memory and save later.

Besides, if it was possible we would have tons of threads starting with "PT ate my session" or something like that.
Old 08-21-2020, 08:20 AM

Default Re: Set ProTools to NOT force you to name and save a session at the very beginning?

There is a setting in the Dashboard dialogue that will allow you to save to the same location for every session instead of asking for a location. Not something I would use, but the option is available.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction