Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 08-03-2020, 01:27 PM

Default Did the smart tool change after 12?

I recently upgraded from PT12 to 19.6 (and above) and have noticed now that when using the smart tool on a region that has fades, it no longer defaults fully to the trim tool when at the start and end of a region with a fade. You either have to be at the top or bottom corner of the region, otherwise in the center it defaults to the fade tool. Since i have been on 12 for so long this is messing me up haha! I was wondering if anyone knows when this went in to place and if there is a way to revert back? im guessing not, but i figured i would ask..
Old 08-03-2020, 02:28 PM

Default Re: Did the smart tool change after 12?

Are you looking at auto fades?

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/hom...tools-ultimate
Old 08-03-2020, 02:46 PM

I appreciate the reply, but I am not using Pro Tools ultimate.
Old 08-03-2020, 02:58 PM

Here you can see the difference.. PT 2019.6 is pictured first.

Old 08-03-2020, 03:35 PM

Gotcha. Ah nice find. I tested on 2020.5 on Mojave on a 2018 15" Macbook Pro and it looks broken to me as well.

Maybe not many folks use smart tool to do this? Or maybe it's system/display specific?

I tried moving the mouse cursor side by side by like a pixel over the clip beginning/end boundaries and by playing moving the cursor up and down the those boundaries very occasionally you will see the fade tool cursor appear. And be uh be useless... it disappear when you you try to move it another pixel.

If it's annoying you please create a incident with Avid Support and post the incident number here. Ask them if they already know about the bug. Folks here can ask for more attention once you have it reported.
Old 08-03-2020, 03:47 PM

I appreciate the reply Darryl. There is a setting in preferences that requires you to use a key command to engage the fade tool while using the smart tool. This is kind of a work around, but you do have to hold "command" to engage it to function how it use too.
Old 08-03-2020, 04:19 PM

If that Preference is unchecked, the behavior is supposed to be the regular, adjust fade with smart tool.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 08-03-2020, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
If that Preference is unchecked, the behavior is supposed to be the regular, adjust fade with smart tool.
With it unchecked it functions differently than it did in 12, hence my post.
Old 08-03-2020, 04:47 PM

What specific version of 12? Sounds like it might be the Real Time Fade Manipulation changes listed in the 12.6 release notes?
Old 08-03-2020, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLaudio View Post
I appreciate the reply Darryl. There is a setting in preferences that requires you to use a key command to engage the fade tool while using the smart tool. This is kind of a work around, but you do have to hold "command" to engage it to function how it use too.
Mmm I thought I had tested with that as well, and amusingly may have had bluetooth keyboard battery that dies as I was trying it.

It's clearly doing weird things when set to "automatic" (either that or I'm going nuts). Including if I scroll over a preexisting fade area... so it's large enough you know for sure the mouse cursor is exactly within it... it the smart cursor will not change to adjust the fade... but if you press and release the Control key then move back over the same area then it the cursor does change automatically. And if you change to smart cursor mode again it seems to need you to press and release the Control key again to work in automatic mode. Huh.

And it seems to do this on Windows as well. (Even quicker test with 2020.5 on Windows 10))