Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 03-23-2020, 08:10 PM

Default Vocal recordings result in lame volume

I am on an iMac Pro (2017) using Catalina Osx. I just upgraded to Pro Tools 2019.12 but this problem existed before I upgraded to vs 12.

I use an Apollo UAD2 thunderbolt interface, and I use either an NPNG preAmp or a Great River preamp for my vocals.

My vocal takes seem fine when I record; the wave form looks healthy and everything seems ok. But when I play it back, I have to max out the fader to get any real playback volume.

At first I thought I had broken my microphone somehow. Then I tried different mics and it happened elsewhere too....

Note that this however, can be Intermittent. Sometimes the vocal take shines through. But it's unpredictable it seems.

I've tried changing mic chords, changing XLRs, using different preamps...

If anyone has a clue, I do appreciate any help or suggestions. The mics I use are an AEA R44CE and a Microtech GeFell GMBH. These are top notch mics and that's why this is kind of bewildering.

Thanks for any assistance, Frank
Old 03-30-2020, 08:45 AM

Default Re: Vocal recordings result in lame volume

Hi that sound really strange indeed and you got a great gear there. Sound to see like something happening at the Apollo level. Please check the separated console app. Maybe the problem is there, is really hard to tell cause is a strange issue but you can start there.
Old 03-30-2020, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brightbelt View Post
I am on an iMac Pro (2017) using Catalina Osx. I just upgraded to Pro Tools 2019.12 but this problem existed before I upgraded to vs 12.

I use an Apollo UAD2 thunderbolt interface, and I use either an NPNG preAmp or a Great River preamp for my vocals.

My vocal takes seem fine when I record; the wave form looks healthy and everything seems ok. But when I play it back, I have to max out the fader to get any real playback volume.

At first I thought I had broken my microphone somehow. Then I tried different mics and it happened elsewhere too....

Note that this however, can be Intermittent. Sometimes the vocal take shines through. But it's unpredictable it seems.

I've tried changing mic chords, changing XLRs, using different preamps...

If anyone has a clue, I do appreciate any help or suggestions. The mics I use are an AEA R44CE and a Microtech GeFell GMBH. These are top notch mics and that's why this is kind of bewildering.

Thanks for any assistance, Frank
Yikes! That sounds strange to me also.. Maybe use another setup and test out the parts individually?
Also, maybe just try another mic and see if it is better.. Something cheap with phantom power on of course. I think one is a ribbon, which should be pretty easy to sort out.. They usually have a lot of spf. The other condenser seems like it should work like an AKG 414, which I would compare the level with.
I think it must be something with the pre maybe? I have found it's always something fundamental with the is overlooked.. I have done silly things sometimes and had to laugh when I figured it out..
Good luck.
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.5, DP 11.3, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 03-30-2020, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brightbelt View Post
You could also check if you haven't inadvertently increased the size of the waveform, so it looks nice and fat, but is actually small in reality. Have you checked your meters from the source?
Old 04-05-2020, 07:29 PM

It sounds like you are double monitoring. So you’re listening to two signals while you are recording, signal from UA console and Signal from ProTools.
You need to mute you’re record armed track in ProTools. Monitoring only from UA’s console.
Set levels accordingly and hit record.
Playback listening to ProTools track.
Old 08-06-2020, 01:30 PM

Hi I have returned to pro tools after years off to start a new project. Running the latest version of pro tools on my 2019 MacBook pro with catalina. When I try to record vocals I get almost no sound in the mix. I first tried on my Shure SM58 and when I couldn't get any sound I switched to the Audio-technica AT2020. If I turn up the gain on the Focusrite I barely get any sound but lots of hiss. Same for modifying the clipping in the mix. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-06-2020, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeviceP View Post
Hi I have returned to pro tools after years off to start a new project. Running the latest version of pro tools on my 2019 MacBook pro with catalina. When I try to record vocals I get almost no sound in the mix. I first tried on my Shure SM58 and when I couldn't get any sound I switched to the Audio-technica AT2020. If I turn up the gain on the Focusrite I barely get any sound but lots of hiss. Same for modifying the clipping in the mix. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.
Hi Welcome to DUC.

It's not clear anything you are doing has anything to do with this thread. A lot more info would help...

What interface are you using? Are you using an onboard or external preamp?

What *exact* input is the mic plugged into with what exact cable/plug on the end of that cable... (accidently connecting to a line level input is a common cause of these issues)

What is the preamp gain set to? Does it adjusting that have any effect.

Input pads are disabled?

Is phantom power turned on for the AT2020?

If the interface has hardware monitoring get that to work first without Pro Tools to confirm the mic and cables etc. are OK.

If that does not work try the SM57 again and/or check phantom power is present at the end of the cable with a voltmeter and/or try a different cable.

Then in Pro tools... Make sure the track meter is in pre-fader mode and you have the correct input selected on the track... default I/O if necessary. Make sure you are using an audio track.

Ask if anything is not clear here.

---

Oh looks like a 2i2.. so you have to go into the one of the front panel XLR combo inputs but you *have* to use an XLR plug, not a 1/4" plug. make sure the pad is disengaged, gain turned up on that channel. Without using Pro Tools confirm direct monitoring works to headphones or monitors. All that is covered in the 2i2 documentation. No Pro Tools involved yet.