Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 09-24-2018, 09:21 PM

Default Re: Latch Record broken again in 2018.7

Can we get some assurance that we can at least get a PREF option on this?

If this is not fixed I too will sadly have to revert. This just plain nuts behavior.

At least 10 times today I had MIDI tracks still in record while attempting to record audio resulting in ERASING the MIDI tracks.

Come on Avid -- FIX THIS NOW!!!
Old 09-25-2018, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro View Post
Have been discussing this one with product management and engineering. 'Fixing' this in 2018.1 was welcomed by some (including myself as I frequently jump between recording on Instrument and Audio tracks) but it broke workflows for others since it is established behavior. It was intentionally reverted in 2018.7 as we gather more info on workflows to come up with a better solution. Would be great to hear from others about their use cases that show a need for either behavior.
You following up with product management and engineering is very much appreciated. It seems now that the obvious question to those groups would be, "What workflows did the newer behavior (similar to other DAWs) break?"

Product Management and Engineering have made a decision to revert. I would hope that their decision was based on users convincing them the old way was important to continue for a reason, not just because it was always that way.

If the standard for change is that, "Some users complained because we changed it, and since it was always that way, we changed it back", it would seem making any real progress would be difficult.

Many of us really appreciate your presence here. I for one totally understand if you can't have that kind of dialog with those groups at this point in time.

Last edited by 21 Junipers; 09-28-2018 at 06:22 AM.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:26 AM

Yes, we are working towards providing a pref for this. Despite my personal desire for X-OR type behavior, I believe we jumped the gun when we changed this in 2018.1 by changing the behavior but leaving it as an on/off switch. Even though it might have made more sense to some users, we essentially lost functionality that has existed for years. There were complaints about the change affecting user workflows which prompted the reversal. We are trying to do the right thing now by defining the correct options to cover all desired workflows, but of course that needs to be coded and tested... not likely in the next rev (just to set expectations).
Old 09-26-2018, 09:30 AM

Thank you so much for the heads-up on this, and appreciate the discloser. I look forward to the update, this is great news.

I think some of us may be curious as to what the workflow might be where some would prefer the legacy functionality.

Last edited by SomeOtherGuy; 09-26-2018 at 10:08 AM.
Old 10-08-2018, 01:16 PM

Hope this Pref update makes it for 2018.10!
Old 10-16-2018, 10:16 AM

Ah, so this PREF did not make it into 2018.10.

Here's hoping it makes the next one. Accidentally erasing tracks left in Record more is making me crazy.

Still can't understand the workflow Avid is talking about where some users would want MIDI tracks left record-enabled while recording new audio tracks. Or vice versa.

It makes no sense to me to have a pref that says "Latch Record Enable Buttons" that only works for Audio tracks. Bonkers!
Old 10-16-2018, 10:33 AM

Here is a video of this crazy behavior in all its glory. The blue tracks are audio, and the brown is MIDI.

Enjoy:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ecz0pa1pql...Video.mov?dl=0
Old 11-18-2018, 09:08 AM

Here's hoping we get a PREF option for this in 2018.11
Old 05-09-2019, 11:51 AM

Dang, was really hoping for this in 2019.5, but no such luck. Avid Support told me months ago that it was in the queue. Wait 'till next year...
Old 08-26-2019, 09:16 AM

Default Re: Latch Record broken again in 2018.7 still not fixed in 2019.6

Here's hoping this fix makes it into the next release. Was told by tech support over a year ago that they were working on a pref for this.

Going back to the issue, I can’t imagine a scenario where a user would want a MIDI track to remain record-enabled when Latch Record is purposely deselected. It make's no sense. No other DAW software exhibits this behavior as far as I'm aware. We are all constantly overwriting MIDI tracks by accident because it is hard to see if a MIDI track is record-enable, especially when it’s a large session with many tracks. Even in small sessions, it’s just as much of a problem.

This is the one feature I feel is necessary to have fixed for proper workflow and speed.

Last edited by SomeOtherGuy; 08-26-2019 at 09:41 AM.