Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2013, 08:50 AM

Default @ Avid : iLok2 & iLok original

I understand that Pro Tools 11 requires the authorisation asset to be on an iLok2, but I'm curious as to whether that means all connected iLoks must be version 2?

For example, I may have the PT11 asset, and a bunch of other stuff on an iLok2, but simultaneously have the remainder of my plugin assets on an original iLok.

Is that a problem, and would both iLoks need to be version 2?

I appreciate that the iLok2 has a far higher capacity than the original, but there are circumstances where more than one iLok are necessary.

Secondly, I seem to remember (no doubt incorrectly) when iLoks were originally introduced, that you could only have two iLoks registered per account.

Is that still the case, or is there any limitation to the number of iLoks a single account can manage?

It's becoming increasingly common to see products being shipped with a pre-loaded iLok, which I'm assuming means there is a corresponding pre-established account....

Is there a means, that doesn't involve paying an additional transfer fee between accounts, by which to move assets from a pre-loaded iLok to one of your existing ones, especially if accounts are limited to two iLoks?

I can see a situation arising where, in spite of the increased capacity of the new iLok2, we end up accumulating dozens of the things with only one or two licenses per piece. And then face either multiple transfer fees, or a computer with a veritable beard of iLoks sprouting from it.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:00 AM
Admin Emeritus

Default Re: @ Avid : iLok2 & iLok original

Quote:
I understand that Pro Tools 11 requires the authorisation asset to be on an iLok2, but I'm curious as to whether that means all connected iLoks must be version 2?
No, you can have both or any combination of both.

Quote:
is there any limitation to the number of iLoks a single account can manage?
No, there are schools that have over 100 iLoks on a single account. Been that way for years.

Quote:
It's becoming increasingly common to see products being shipped with a pre-loaded iLok, which I'm assuming means there is a corresponding pre-established account....
Not necessarily, maybe there are companies that do that, but Avid never has as far as I am aware. I have about 7 iLoks (1 of which is an iLok 2), all on 1 account, and move licenses between them without any charge or problem. The only restriction I know of is a license that requires an iLok 2 could not be moved to an original iLok.

Quote:
Is there a means, that doesn't involve paying an additional transfer fee between accounts, by which to move assets from a pre-loaded iLok to one of your existing ones, especially if accounts are limited to two iLoks?
Just because the iLok is preloaded, I doubt it is pre-registered to any iLok account. Otherwise, if you bought a boxed version with a preloaded iLok on it, there would be no way to register it to your own iLok account.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:07 AM

wait a second... I need an iLok2 for PT11?!?!? WHY

Hackintosh: MacOS Catalina, i7 6700k, 32GB RAM, RX580
Pro Tools Studio, RME RayDAT PCIe
http://www.liamgaughan.com
Old 04-17-2013, 09:46 AM

I need an iLok2 for PT11?!?!? WHY

No big deal in the grand scheme of things. A lot of the newer plugins require an
I-lok 2. Plus side...they're MUCH smaller, and hold a LOT more authorizations.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:41 AM

Because they said so.

I think this is another thing that'll become clearer once PT11 actually starts shipping.

As soon as it ships someone will try it with an old iLok and then we'll know whether you really have to buy a new one.

I agree $50 isn't much money but I find it annoying as well. There's nothing wrong with the old ones that I have.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezul View Post
wait a second... I need an iLok2 for PT11?!?!? WHY
I think the protection scheme is different and the iLok2 will hold around 500 licenses.

www.SlateDigital.com is still having a promo where you buy any of their plugins and get an iLok2 for free.
http://www.slatedigital.com/online-shop/

The least expensive is RC-Tube which is $49 and you will get your iLok2 for free.

I bought RC-Tube and they sent the iLok2 just as they said they would, its a great deal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K67ApjfReeg

Its hard to beat this deal.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 04-17-2013, 01:49 PM

thanks. apologies for the knee-jerk reaction. Still, I don't think anyone could hold their hand on their heart and say an iLok device is priced appropriately.

edit: $25.00 shipping of the iLok to UK.

Hackintosh: MacOS Catalina, i7 6700k, 32GB RAM, RX580
Pro Tools Studio, RME RayDAT PCIe
http://www.liamgaughan.com
Old 04-17-2013, 02:26 PM

Thanks a lot Bruce, that clears up a lot of my concerns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Paine View Post

Just because the iLok is preloaded, I doubt it is pre-registered to any iLok account. Otherwise, if you bought a boxed version with a preloaded iLok on it, there would be no way to register it to your own iLok account.
Yeah, that was my worry, who wants to have to manage an increasing number of accounts, or face a transfer fee to move assets in to your original account - thankfully that doesn't seem to be the case.

Glad to hear accounts are not limited to just two iLoks. Not sure where I got that impression, but I could have sworn that was the case when they first came in to use.

Cheers!
Old 04-17-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:
thanks. apologies for the knee-jerk reaction. Still, I don't think anyone could hold their hand on their heart and say an iLok device is priced appropriately.

I have absolutely no problem whatsoever paying $50 for an iLok. They are still my preferred way of holding licenses, (over 265 at this point including the merc bundle).

I've just migrated computers and spent a bit of time re-authorizing all of my non-iLok licenses... time I would not have had to spend if the licenses were on iLok.

It's actually bargain priced in the grand scheme of things.. How much is an hour or two of your time worth?
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 04-17-2013, 05:36 PM

Quote:

You can't buy it here?

http://www.soundware.co.uk/sc/search.php?query=ilok

Aren't they in your 'hood?
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh