Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2018, 10:35 PM

Default mixing in mono

ive been having trouble trying to get my vocals to sound good in mono..i have backing vocals panned pretty wide and lead vocal sounds good cause i have them dead center..in stereo they sound amazing, but when i switch to mono my backing vocals sound phazy and collapsed, ive heard some mixes where they sound good both mono and stereo does anybody know how this is achieved without vocals sounding to phazy in mono? they way ive been widening my vocals is i make a duplicate of the same vocal track and move one vocal track a couple milliseconds forward then pan one left and the other right.. is there any other method to widening vocals so they wont sound phazy in mono? im new to audio recording and mixing so any info would help
Old 05-12-2018, 10:38 PM

Default Re: mixing in mono

Record the same parts twice.
Old 05-12-2018, 11:55 PM

so if i record 2 takes and pan one left and one right that would cancel the phazing when i listen to it in mono?
Old 05-13-2018, 12:50 AM

How are you "switching to mono".

How many backing vocal tracks do you have?

Are they stereo or mono?

If there are mono isolated backing tracks you won't not get phasing when you put them in a mono mix. If you've got a signal spread across a stereo mix and then mix it down from there back to mono you are introducing phasing. If you want a real mono mix you should make one.
Old 05-13-2018, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
Record the same parts twice.

That’s your answer. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-13-2018, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
How are you "switching to mono".

How many backing vocal tracks do you have?

Are they stereo or mono?

If there are mono isolated backing tracks you won't not get phasing when you put them in a mono mix. If you've got a signal spread across a stereo mix and then mix it down from there back to mono you are introducing phasing. If you want a real mono mix you should make one.
they way im switching to listen into mono is by my audio interface (babyface pro) it has a mono switch im just checking my mixes back n forth from stereo to mono...as for the vocals i recorded 2 vocal tracks in mono.. i have a high vocal track and a bass vocal track recorded in mono..but what i was trying to do is have the bass vocal track panned left and right with the lead high vocal dead center and the way i was going about it is by making a digital copy of the bass vocal track moving one foward a couple of milliseconds then panning one left and the other right which sounds great on stereo but when i switch to listen in mono the bass vocal sounds real weird and phazy..really i just want to make my bass vocal sound wide and spread out without having to record 2 bass vocal tracks and panning those...ive tried using waves doubler and when i listen in mono it sounds phazy aswell
Old 05-13-2018, 08:49 AM

Most of us use some type of short modulated delay or micro-pitch shift/delay (ala Soundtoys microshift) to widen, but pretty much all will have some issues collapsing to mono. The shorter the delay the more cancellation in mono. You might also try Waves PS22 which can create a widened effect that collapses without issue. But yes, the real solution is multiple passes.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6

Last edited by Rich Breen; 05-13-2018 at 01:03 PM.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:43 AM

they way im switching to listen into mono is by my audio interface (babyface pro) it has a mono switch im just checking my mixes back n forth from stereo to mono...as for the vocals i recorded 2 vocal tracks in mono.. i have a high vocal track and a bass vocal track recorded in mono..but what i was trying to do is have the bass vocal track panned left and right with the lead high vocal dead center and the way i was going about it is by making a digital copy of the bass vocal track moving one foward a couple of milliseconds then panning one left and the other right which sounds great on stereo but when i switch to listen in mono the bass vocal sounds real weird and phazy..really i just want to make my bass vocal sound wide and spread out without having to record 2 bass vocal tracks and panning those...ive tried using waves doubler and when i listen in mono it sounds phazy aswell
see bold type above...that is the cause of the bad sound, and exactly why you get better results by actually singing(or playing) the part twice. with a new pass, you eliminate the problem of an exact duplicate file(the phasey sound). Now you CAN sometimes have success with a "fake double", but it involves much more than simply time-shifting. ReVoice Pro does a decent job, or, if you put AutoTune on your duplicate and add some subtle pitch change(when I do this method, I skip the nudge and just add a touch of delay). Still, at the end of the day, a real double-track beats fakery every time

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-13-2018, 10:39 AM

Either Soundtoys Microshift or this will do a better job than delaying one channel
https://youtu.be/Nv0jsuf2mb8
Both have controls to leave the low frequencies unprocessed which helps with the phase:
https://youtu.be/ObUn-cUSy2g