Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 09-03-2019, 02:36 PM

Default PT10 - downloaded 32-bit xpand, NI and Kontakt - how to Install?

I have Xpand2, NI and Kontakt downloaded in RTAS form from my AVID account which knows I have Protools 10. I am running my pt10 on Windows 7. It is version 10.3.8 (I believe). I also got an AIR Instruments zip file.

Now - I also got all of these same programs when I bought my Triple Play midi pickup - and so I believe they may all already installed on my computer - BUT, I don't see them as options in a session, so maybe they are not installed, or maybe they are installed incorrectly.

These things (XPand2 and AIR) used to come as part of the ProTools installation, but that ended with PT10 - they are a separate download (still available).

I do know that one of the big issues with PT plugins is that the right files must be in the correct folders. I even saw a message about needed Kontakt.dll in the program files folder so I have that downloaded as well.

Avid says the correct folder for these plugins is /Program Files/Digidesign - but that folder was not on my computer. So I created it (it is still empty)

The question: it seems the art of installing these aftermarket freebies to PT 10 is somewhat a lost art. Does anyone know how to install the 32-bit version of Kontakt, NI and Xpand2 to PT10 - all of which were downloaded from the Avid web site?

Mainly, I have had success in the past by moving files to the correct plugin folders - Or maybe I should just start from scratch but uninstalling what I have on there already would be a long process (regedit, etc).

BTW: I do have non-HD, and I do also have the registration numbers for the free downloads (I got it through Fishman when I got the Triple Play).
Old 09-03-2019, 02:40 PM

Default Re: PT10 - downloaded 32-bit xpand, NI and Kontakt - how to Install?

What exact plugins are you looking for exactly where in Pro Tools? Confusion about mono/multi-mono vs stereo plugins is frequent. Are the plugin files for those plugins in the RTAS or AAX folders on your system?

What exactly (product/version of plugin in what exact PT version in what exact OS... is that a supported combination?) are you trying to install? You seem to be making this much harder than it should be... you should be just downloading a compatible installer and running it.
Old 09-04-2019, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisemates View Post
I have Xpand2, NI and Kontakt downloaded in RTAS form from my AVID account which knows I have Protools 10. I am running my pt10 on Windows 7. It is version 10.3.8 (I believe). I also got an AIR Instruments zip file.

Now - I also got all of these same programs when I bought my Triple Play midi pickup - and so I believe they may all already installed on my computer - BUT, I don't see them as options in a session, so maybe they are not installed, or maybe they are installed incorrectly.

These things (XPand2 and AIR) used to come as part of the ProTools installation, but that ended with PT10 - they are a separate download (still available).

I do know that one of the big issues with PT plugins is that the right files must be in the correct folders. I even saw a message about needed Kontakt.dll in the program files folder so I have that downloaded as well.

Avid says the correct folder for these plugins is /Program Files/Digidesign - but that folder was not on my computer. So I created it (it is still empty)

The question: it seems the art of installing these aftermarket freebies to PT 10 is somewhat a lost art. Does anyone know how to install the 32-bit version of Kontakt, NI and Xpand2 to PT10 - all of which were downloaded from the Avid web site?

Mainly, I have had success in the past by moving files to the correct plugin folders - Or maybe I should just start from scratch but uninstalling what I have on there already would be a long process (regedit, etc).

BTW: I do have non-HD, and I do also have the registration numbers for the free downloads (I got it through Fishman when I got the Triple Play).
What NI have you downloaded? Kontakt is programmed by Native Instruments (NI). Basically you just run the installer and it will know where to put things. You can't just download a .dll - that should be a part of the program installer you downloaded. Are you sure you downloaded the Kontakt installer and whatever NI stuff from Avid or Native Instruments? For that matter have you actually run the installers? Are you running as admin?

Be aware if you download any current stuff from NI's site through their download manager they dropped RTAS support some time back.

QAPLA!
Old 09-16-2019, 02:51 PM

Thanks for the reply. I downloaded everything from the "My Avid" site - where I see they have my iLok key for PT10 registered.

I am trying to install the 32-bit RTAS versions. (I am on windows 7). I extracted the files using a "Win7" unzipper.

I am pretty sure I am on the 10.3.5 version of pt10 that first allowed you to use 32-bit AAX, but I have not tried to install any 32-bit AAX files yet, I only have RTAS plugins so far.

I do know that the file folder that the troubleshooter said should contain the files was not created when I tried to install. That should be

C://program files/digidesign/

That folder was not created by install, but I did create it and I am going to try the install again.

I know it's been a long time but I was just hoping someone recalled how they did it (in terms of commonly known troubleshooting problems). I have a few troubleshooting articles (such as one that recommends downloading the DLL file) but so far I can't seem to get anything to install correctly.

Last edited by cruisemates; 09-16-2019 at 03:08 PM.
Old 09-16-2019, 04:18 PM

All this is not making sense. As Jack said NI Kontakt is third party software, you do not download that from Avid, ... unless there was some short lived promotion a while ago that I am not aware of.

These should be nothing complex here. You have Pro Tools 10, you look for plugin installers/downloads where the vendors tell you they are compatible with Pro Tools 10 and Windows 7 and you just run the installers. Why are you trying to extract files or do anything else? This is completely the wrong approach.

All versions of Pro Tools 10 supported AAX-32 so I am not following your comment about 10.3.5 being the first.

You cannot really rely on “Avid Knowing” what you have and making available just the correct plugin versions. If you have licenses for a while you will typically have multiple versions of Avid plugins downloadable.

The critical thing missing here is you are not saying what *exact* versions of Avid or third party plugins are you downloading. It is almost certain that the reason things will not just easily install and work is you have the totally wrong installer versions.