Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 09-26-2011, 01:23 PM

Default Upgraded from 8LE to 9. "Unable to locate hardware" issue persists if no Mbox.

Greetings friends. I have a compound issue. I was running 8LE on my Windows 7 laptop with an Mbox 3. It worked fine except I could never open protools 8LE without the Mbox 3 plugged in. I would get the "Unable to locate hardware..." message. But that wasn't a big deal since I was always in my studio anyway.

Now I've upgraded to 9.0.5 mostly so I can use my new Allen & Heath Zed 10FX mixer as my audio interface. It has a USB port and the front of the box has a big sticker that says "PROTOOLS 9 COMPATIBLE". Unfortunately, Protools 9.0.5 will also ONLY fire up if my old Mbox 3 is connected. Otherwise, the infamous "Unable to locate hardware..." error. And it also won't open if connected to the A & H mixer via usb.

Thanks for reading. Any advice would be appreciated. I've updated all drivers. Again, 9 works fine IF the Mbox 3 is plugged in. So it's not an authorization or ilok issue I don't believe.

Thanks.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:26 PM

Default Re: Upgraded from 8LE to 9. "Unable to locate hardware" issue persists if no Mbox.

Did you install the drivers for the A&H? Are they up to date? Does it work for other software?

If you hold "N" while Pro Tools starts up, you will be given the option to select another interface before it starts. If the A&H is installed correctly, you should be able to select it in the window that pops up.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 09-26-2011, 01:56 PM

Default Re: Upgraded from 8LE to 9. "Unable to locate hardware" issue persists if no Mbox.

Thanks a lot. I can't find the Allen & Heath drivers for ZED 10fx. Only the Zed 16 which is firewire connected is available on the A&H site.

The Zed 10 works fine as an audio out for firefox browsing, say a youtube video. So, hooked up via usb, i get audio out of my computer and to my speakers fine. I don't have any other music workstation type software to try using it with.

Any other thoughts? Thanks again.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:13 PM

Sorry. Also, tried the hold down the "N" thing. It just cycles through highlighting icons on my desktop for things that start with "N". It does not appear to affect protools. Is it ctrl N or something? I'll try that. Thanks again.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:14 PM

You could try that A&H driver or ASIO4ALL and see which, if either works best.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-26-2011, 02:15 PM

Hey, hey. Installed an ASIO driver and that seems to have gotten protools to open with no hardware. Progress! i'll try hooking up the mixer and see what happens.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:18 PM

Asio4all