Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2009, 12:27 PM

Arrow Re: Snow Leopard and Pro Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by boabyd23 View Post
With regards to getting 7gb back from instal I noticed I recieved 24 gigs back.
Unfortunately, this is a math trick with Snow Leopard. Apple has decided to change to a base-10 gigabyte measurement rather than the computing standard of base-2 gigabyte measurement.

You'll notice that a 320gb hard drive now shows up as a 320gb hard drive, instead of as a 298gb hard drive. A base-10 gigabyte is equal to 1,000,000,000 bytes (1,000 x 1,000 x 1,000) while a base-2 gigabyte is equal to 1,073,741,824 (1,024 x 1,024 x 1,024 or 2^10 x 2^10 x 2^10).

That would be fine if it was for the fact that computers are in fact binary machines that store data in a binary matter. What stinks is when you copy that 3.73gb file off your thumb drive on to your Mac, it now becomes a 4.00gb file. But not really. It's just math.

That aside, glad to hear Snow Leopard is playing nice with PT8.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:00 PM

Default Re: Snow Leopard and Pro Tools

Can someone please post a response with significant data to make a decision? All the threads read "Yep works for me" ... Ummm - Can you please specify your MacBook (Pro) specs, how many tracks you're using to record, what plugins, what virtual instruments (e.g., Reason, Additive Drums, etc)?

I just find it (no offense) useless to read "yep works for me" if I can't translate it to statistical data....
Old 08-31-2009, 04:28 PM

Let's hope it still works with 8.0.1. Anybody tried that yet?
Old 08-31-2009, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexrkstr View Post
Can someone please post a response with significant data to make a decision? All the threads read "Yep works for me" ... Ummm - Can you please specify your MacBook (Pro) specs, how many tracks you're using to record, what plugins, what virtual instruments (e.g., Reason, Additive Drums, etc)?

I just find it (no offense) useless to read "yep works for me" if I can't translate it to statistical data....
If you make any purchase decision before Digi gives SL it's blessing, you deserve whatever you get..

If Digi takes forever to qualify SL, well that's a different story..
Old 08-31-2009, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flommer View Post
If you make any purchase decision before Digi gives SL it's blessing, you deserve whatever you get..

If Digi takes forever to qualify SL, well that's a different story..
Hi flommer, naturally, I would not invest in anything before I have the certainty that Digi will cover. However, I do find it frustrating to read, "Yep worked for me"... seriously? What kind of confidence level does that give you? Or should we use this thread as a speculation thread and hold our balls until Digi decides they want to support?

Sorry for the frustration guys but Digi should know better and work in collaboration with Apple when developing the software in my opinion. If it is almost a staple to have ProTools running on a Mac to record in every studio [that I have been to], that must mean something. Sure, the guys in the studio couldn't care less about upgrades in Operating Systems, all they need is a system that works (HD) - BUT for those of us who take home recording seriously and have to keep up with technology it makes it complicated, to the point where you start considering buying, yet, one more computer.... sad but true.

Last edited by Alexrkstr; 08-31-2009 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 08-31-2009, 06:52 PM

Interestingly enough my PT 8.0/SL install had some issues. Fresh install of SL with nothing on it, ran the PT installer, When it got to the end it popped up a message about PACEIT needing Rosetta. The PT installer downloads and installs Rosetta and finishes. Upon Launching PT for the first time each and every AIR plug through up a "-5000 no authorization found" error. A quick Reinstall solved the AIR plugins error but I'm still getting a hang at setting up peripherals.

Has anyone else been asked to install Rosetta during the PT process? Cause I haven't read any posts about Rosetta other than it needing to be installed for Digi Delivery. Any drawbacks to installing Rosetta other the losing HD space?

Digi mentioned that 8.0.1 is not compatible with SL so it will be interesting to see if it runs better or worse with SL or runs at all.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 08-31-2009, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexrkstr View Post
Hi flommer, naturally, I would not invest in anything before I have the certainty that Digi will cover. However, I do find it frustrating to read, "Yep worked for me"... seriously? What kind of confidence level does that give you? Or should we use this thread as a speculation thread and hold our balls until Digi decides they want to support?

Sorry for the frustration guys but Digi should know better and work in collaboration with Apple when developing the software in my opinion. If it is almost a staple to have ProTools running on a Mac to record in every studio [that I have been to], that must mean something. Sure, the guys in the studio couldn't care less about upgrades in Operating Systems, all they need is a system that works (HD) - BUT for those of us who take home recording seriously and have to keep up with technology it makes it complicated, to the point where you start considering buying, yet, one more computer.... sad but true.
The thing is... Users who have gone ahead on the bleeding edge really don't have much more to add.. If they had a specific problem then that is what they talk about. If they don't, then what else can they add?

Digi will not comment further until 1. they actually give it the blessing or release a patch, or 2. release a statement about their progress because the progress is taking so long that many many people are asking the same question.. In my experience that would at least be a few weeks after the initial release of a major OS update..

So it's water from a stone at this point... Just try to be patient.. The OS has been out for 4 days.. It is much more important that it does work instead of when it will work... At least for a while...
Old 08-31-2009, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flommer View Post
The thing is... Users who have gone ahead on the bleeding edge really don't have much more to add.. If they had a specific problem then that is what they talk about. If they don't, then what else can they add?

Digi will not comment further until 1. they actually give it the blessing or release a patch, or 2. release a statement about their progress because the progress is taking so long that many many people are asking the same question.. In my experience that would at least be a few weeks after the initial release of a major OS update..

So it's water from a stone at this point... Just try to be patient.. The OS has been out for 4 days.. It is much more important that it does work instead of when it will work... At least for a while...
Good point.. meanwhile I will battle with my own setup with plain Leopard :)
Old 08-31-2009, 09:51 PM

I haven't been asked to install rosetta (though I might have installed it on my Macbook with the SL install) but prior to 8.0.1 -I always needed to re-fresh my Mbox micro under system pref's with SL ( however, now seems to open and work fine thus far under 8.0.1 with both Mbox Micro and my 002R with no hanging on the peripherals or the 5000 authorization dialog). Mileage will vary BIG TIME and at your own risk with PT on SL (but I'm in between projects now:) Nevertheless, I'm impressed with SL and 8.0.1 on both my 002R and Micro with my Macbook and 8.0.1 (even my G5 dual with 10.5.8). Just thoughts...

len b
Old 09-01-2009, 12:34 AM

8.0.1 working great here with MacPro and Digi 003R etc
AVID Collab user - mattrixx

MacStudio Ultra / LogicProX / IzotopeRX10+ / SourceConnect / MelodyneStudio5 / WAVES Mercury / NI KompleteUltimate / ProToolsUltimate / RME UFX, UFXII, Babyface / AVID S3 + DOCK / Barefoot MM27 gen2 / Barefoot FP01