Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 11-10-2012, 12:00 PM

Default OMNI inserts only for mic pre , or used as master buss inserts as well

Are the omni inserts only useful for the built in mic pre , or can they be used as hardware inserts for the master buss.
Im thinking they are only for the built in mic pre , is this assumption correct.

If possible AVID should consider my idea . It would make the OMNI allot more versatile . Two hardware inserts on the master buss for EQ and COMP . What could be a better fit than that.

That would relieve the OMNI as being sold as primarily a i/o unit to a serious contender for a dedicated monitor controller with enough i/o to feed headphones . With that idea the OMNI could be seriously considered as the most practical choice available for all our monitoring and h/p mix needs.
Unless super exotic monitor controllers are the only acceptable decision .
The OMNI would be easily the best product available .
I slight twist on a already good product to make it a great product , that the market does not already have but really needs.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:26 PM

Default Re: OMNI inserts only for mic pre , or used as master buss inserts as well

The inserts are only for the mic pre's.

However, you can still set up an insert with the Omni just like you would with any other hardware interface.

You can use outputs 3-4 and come back into inputs 3-4, and then on your master track, select an insert, and select "I/O" instead of plugin, and there you go. This is the same way you would do it with any other interface.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:52 PM

Default Re: OMNI inserts only for mic pre , or used as master buss inserts as well

The inserts are on the pre-amp so they can be before any A to D conversion.
Perfect place for them IMO.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:27 PM

I suppose that is the best place for them .
When I was changing monitor cables I noticed it said insert . I thought cool maybe this is a dedicated master buss insert because its near the monitor outs.
Or at least thats what I was hopping it would be . LOL

Thanks I should have just read the pdf but I thought thats what it would say anyway, so really I was just wondering if there was a trade trick to using it in a different way. I doubt I will use those pre,s much but there has been times when I have and surprisingly they were usable as a utility pre.