Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2015, 05:43 AM

Default Re: Is there a cheaper version?

Gosh Thanks you guys! I didn't expect so many responses! Christopher at Southside Muisic is correct. ProTools 9 does not have clip gain so I'm stuck with working my way through the song's vocal tracks using the old gain ap that albee mentioned. A slow process but you gotta' walk before you can fly! For now I'll control my desire for an easy fix and hopefully become more proficient at using the tools I have. I was really trying to find out if the Vocal Rider Plug in was available separately and not as part of a bundle for a lower price. guitardom. Thanks I'll look into Quiet Arts Wave Rider.
Old 03-11-2015, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Wetzel View Post
Gosh Thanks you guys! I didn't expect so many responses! Christopher at Southside Muisic is correct. ProTools 9 does not have clip gain so I'm stuck with working my way through the song's vocal tracks using the old gain ap that albee mentioned. A slow process but you gotta' walk before you can fly! For now I'll control my desire for an easy fix and hopefully become more proficient at using the tools I have. I was really trying to find out if the Vocal Rider Plug in was available separately and not as part of a bundle for a lower price. guitardom. Thanks I'll look into Quiet Arts Wave Rider.
Isn't that "Wave Arts"?
BTW, dontcrack.com has Waves Vocal Rider for $215 if you are a member(its free). I have bought lots of stuff from them and they often smoke other sources for pricing(Gold bundle for $148)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-11-2015, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Isn't that "Wave Arts"?
Sound on Sound Quiet Art Wave Rider 2 review
Old 03-11-2015, 08:07 AM

I have both waves and quiet arts. They're both good and different. Quiet art's is super precise. You can really "flatten" a tracks level with it. Which is cool for spoken word. I prefer waves for singing. Especially since you can side chain it to the music tracks and it will help keep me the vocal just on top.

There's also the difference of how they work. Wave rider actually writes to the volume automation track. Vocal rider writes to its own "internal" level track. So you can still go back and easily tweak a word here or there on the main volume track without messing with what it's internally.

At the end of the day I could easily live with either one. But I keep them both for their strengths.
Old 03-12-2015, 05:27 AM

Thanks again to all.
Old 03-13-2015, 10:35 PM

I prefer Wave Rider precisely because it writes to the volume track. Once it's written, I can take the plugin off the insert and make further tweaks by hand. I could never get Vocal Rider dialed in the way I liked. And I hear all the grumbling about "doing it the right way," blah, blah, blah. But I can set Wave Rider to do a pass on a 90 minute feature and go have lunch, and expect that the dialog will be in the ballpark when I return and I can start mixing from there. For post work, it's pretty brilliant. If a tool works, don't be afraid to use it.

Chris