Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 01-07-2018, 09:12 PM

Default Having trouble determining this tempo

I keep landing on 52.5

Do you think its 52 or 53? OR do you think it's 105? I know 52.5 IS 105 essentially but I'm going to be increasing the tempo to try getting it to 120bpm so it does make a difference, I either need to raise it by 8 or 15. (or 8.5 or 9 but you get the point)

So, 52, 53, 105?

I think the Keys Dm, just trying to stick down a tempo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LMFcpw6FXo

Last edited by DBK; 01-08-2018 at 02:21 AM.
Old 01-08-2018, 06:32 AM

Default Re: Having trouble determining this tempo

If the goal is simply to increase the tempo, the “actual” tempo doesn’t matter, just increase the tempo to taste. The tempo will matter, of course, if you want to track with a metronome. But even with tracking, you may want more subdivisions of the beat for accuracy. I’d assess the tempo as being in a slow 4/4 with quarter notes in the 52-53 range. The songwriter may argue that the meter is 8/8, and then the only thing that changes is the silent counting of the musician, and the time signature on the lead sheet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 01-08-2018, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardWilliam View Post
If the goal is simply to increase the tempo, the “actual” tempo doesn’t matter, just increase the tempo to taste. The tempo will matter, of course, if you want to track with a metronome. But even with tracking, you may want more subdivisions of the beat for accuracy. I’d assess the tempo as being in a slow 4/4 with quarter notes in the 52-53 range. The songwriter may argue that the meter is 8/8, and then the only thing that changes is the silent counting of the musician, and the time signature on the lead sheet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I guess the originally was recorded in 105 so when I was tapping 52.5 that was right, I was just wrongly assuming that I was half a bpm off while tapping instead of the fact I was just tapping in half time.
Old 01-08-2018, 01:01 PM

As a drummer I'd count that at 52.5, not 105.
If I needed to fit it into a DAW incapable of doing 0.5 graduations of BPM then I'd input 105 but it isn't counted at that tempo.

If you are increasing the tempo to 60/120 then I'd definitely do it at 60bpm.

Something you might not know is that drummers often count using a double definition grid, so when you are hearing something at 60bpm I will be counting 32nd notes- my grid is twice the definition of the feel of the music. It is done to have a really good sense of note placement.
If you are trying to count something like that at 120bpm and using a 32nd note grid it would be totally OTT.

So circa 60bpm works much better in this instance.

2019 Mac Pro, 2022 Mac Studio Ultra
Avid S6, HDX2, MTRX II, MTRX, DAD AX64, AX32, Focusrite Rednet PCIER, Trinnov MC8 Pro.
Studio: https://www.voltperoctave.com | Music: https://www.euclideancircuits.com
Latest Article: Auto-Bounce for Logic Pro

Affiliate Links:
Auto-Bounce by Tom Salta
Dreamhost Web Hosting