Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 12-19-2017, 07:32 AM

Default Anyone use Waves InPhase plug?

Hi all…

Has anyone been using this plug-in for awhile?

I am trying to figure out how this plug-in would be more helpful than just simply manually aligning and/or nudging two tracks to gain phase alignment?

Any thoughts? Opinions would be appreciated!
Old 12-19-2017, 08:08 AM

Default Re: Anyone use Waves InPhase plug?

I have it and use it.

Normally I agree with you, I would nudge the source. However, I recently used it on an EP I did a quick "mastering" job on for a friend of mine.

Punk rock band who recorded on a TSR-8 and gave me a CD-R of the final mix which was completely slammed out and asked me to check it out.

Reduced the levels so I could at least listen to things and there were some serious phase issues. Setup InPhase and in about 20 seconds solved a bunch of the issues I was hearing.

The disc sounded better than it had, but there were so many problems it wasn't a magic bullet or anything.

For what it does it does it well. I have another tool by Eventide that came in Anthology X last year. They're doing great sales right now, that may be worth looking into SSL makes one in the Duende line as well.

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/sparkletune/
Old 12-19-2017, 08:34 AM

The ability to change the phase of certain frequencies is pretty useful, basically the same as Little Labs IBP
Old 12-19-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah330 View Post
I have it and use it.

Normally I agree with you, I would nudge the source. However, I recently used it on an EP I did a quick "mastering" job on for a friend of mine.

Punk rock band who recorded on a TSR-8 and gave me a CD-R of the final mix which was completely slammed out and asked me to check it out.

Reduced the levels so I could at least listen to things and there were some serious phase issues. Setup InPhase and in about 20 seconds solved a bunch of the issues I was hearing.

The disc sounded better than it had, but there were so many problems it wasn't a magic bullet or anything.

For what it does it does it well. I have another tool by Eventide that came in Anthology X last year. They're doing great sales right now, that may be worth looking into SSL makes one in the Duende line as well.
TY!

You used it in this context on a stereo mix... is that what you are saying?
Old 12-19-2017, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
The ability to change the phase of certain frequencies is pretty useful, basically the same as Little Labs IBP
Agree with Andrei (amagras) Little labs is a great little plugin and easy to use.

Why not demo the InPhase and see if you like it? I bet both would do a good enough job for you

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-19-2017, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Kelly View Post
TY!

You used it in this context on a stereo mix... is that what you are saying?
Yes. The mix was a complete mess. This helped a lot. Not a magic bullet but it was able to fix some serious phase issues - or at least correct some of them.

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/sparkletune/
Old 01-10-2018, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Agree with Andrei (amagras) Little labs is a great little plugin and easy to use.

Why not demo the InPhase and see if you like it? I bet both would do a good enough job for you
Pretty much my thoughts.

I do use it myself and while there are other products out there like AutoAlign i have discovered that it can tend to make a more idealistically perfect phase alignment, which doesn't exist in real life.

When working with live recordings there is supposed to be a little phase variation as the sounds bounce off the different surfaces and bleed into other mics. Some of that is what gives a source its room sound or live played feeling. Remove too much of that and it sounds to plastic and boxed and processed.

There's this mistake of thinking that phase shifting is always a bad thing. It can be, especially in the bottom end, but there are times it can also be beneficial to a track.

For this reason I find that more simple phase alignment tools are the most beneficial. InPhase is a great tool.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:29 AM

I wouldn't call inphase simple, it offers what auto align does (although it is unnecessarily complicated and difficult to use) and what little labs do x2 because it includes 2 phase shifters instead of just one. I think it's a more complete tool but for tracks alignment I would with the workflow of auto align. Keep in mind that waves made a smaller version which only includes the frequency phase filter
Old 01-23-2018, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
I wouldn't call inphase simple, it offers what auto align does (although it is unnecessarily complicated and difficult to use) and what little labs do x2 because it includes 2 phase shifters instead of just one. I think it's a more complete tool but for tracks alignment I would with the workflow of auto align. Keep in mind that waves made a smaller version which only includes the frequency phase filter
InPhase is actually quite simple, once you sidechain the signal. All you have to do is capture the sample and use the Delay to align the signal, with the help of the display and the correlation meter. Simple. Done.

It does have some all pass filters, though, that’s an optional extra you don’t actually have to worry about it unless you want to start getting creative.

I st d by what it said, it’s not that complex.
Old 01-23-2018, 02:26 AM

There are certain cases where two signals that are not in phase will remain out of phase when you reverse the polarity 180° with a polarity switch like the one on EQ3 7-band, this could happen when lets say for example the low end is out of phase and the low mids are in phase. Waves inPhase allows you to selective reverse the polarity of the part of the spectrum that is incoherent and even allows 2 independent filters if you want to be picky, MAAT Phase Shifter has only one filter but allows you to shift the phase anywhere in between 15 and 180° (pretty much like Little Labs do) with the advantage that it can be used outside of the UAD platform. I think the Waves one is the most complete tool for this but MAAT has the workflow everybody expect to see.