Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 07-04-2017, 07:38 AM

Default All of a sudden crossfades wont work

I have been using Pro Tools 9 for a few years now with out any problems but all of a sudden crossfades wont work anymore and I havent changed the way ive recorded or set anything up. When i try to crossfade i get a message reading "one or more fade requests are invalid due to insufficient audio data within the fade bounds. You may skip the invalid fade requests, or adjust the bounds for those fades (where possible). I have tried selecting both skip fades and adjust bounds without the results im used to. Every solution i have read about dont seem to work. I have tried everything i know and am at a loss of what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07-04-2017, 09:12 AM

Default Re: All of a sudden crossfades wont work

2 possibilities:
1-the audio you are trying to fade has nothing past its visible edge. How do you know if there is nothing past the edge? Use the trim tool and try to drag the clip edge(to make the clip longer). If you get nothing, then there's nothing to crossfade(it took me a while to get my head around this, so don't feel bad if you have to think about it a bit)
2-trashing prefs is worth trying for any "odd behavior"

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-04-2017, 11:36 AM

Yes trashing prefs sounds like a winner.....

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare...s-preferences/
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:04 PM

MODS this probably should be moved to the PT9 discussion.
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 07-05-2017, 06:16 PM

Trashing the Preferences is exactly what needed to happen, thanks for the help and information guys.
Old 08-12-2017, 01:56 PM

Going nuts here with this. I always thought it was a big but nothing changed n 12.8

Trashing prefs didn't help.

It just keeps resizing my crossfade to the "correct" bounds. Never seen anything quite like it! I have two audio clips overlapping and i can't do more than a 1 bar crossfade! How does that work? I've turned snap off and checked every single forum and video i can find on this and nothing helps...

I have no idea.. would love some help...

is this a vanilla limitation? Apparently HD has better crossfades?

Edit, my brain finally clicked and I worked it out.. Pro tools, unlike other DAW's, does NOT allow you to do a longer crossfade than the exact length of the overlapping portion of the clips. That's the "boundary".

See in Logic or Cubase I could have one file fading out before the actual other one started to come in at all, i could do whatever length X fades i wanted wherever i wanted.

Chalk a win for that one to Logic then. The only other alternative is to use 2 audio tracks and a regular fade on each.

Still, PT is awesome.

Last edited by TNM; 08-12-2017 at 02:12 PM.
Old 08-12-2017, 05:22 PM

Changing your handle length may help. However, if there is no audio, there is nothing to fade into or out of.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 08-12-2017, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
Changing your handle length may help. However, if there is no audio, there is nothing to fade into or out of.
no but with other DAW's i can have the crossfade as part of the fade and fade out the first audio as part of the crossfade, before i am fading the overlapping bit. I am sure I am probably explaining it wrong, but there's definitely audio there. It's ok, in PT i can just draw a normal fade on top if i want the left (original) audio to start fading before the crossfade hits.. i think.. will check that out today.
Old 01-02-2022, 07:13 AM

Having the same issue in 2021.10 and up .. I have 2 clips with audio, slip mode, crossfade size less than a bar, less then a beat in actuality, and getting this same error. does the fade out on the left clip and a fade in on the right clip behave the exact same as a cross fade? Newbie in production, sorry for the dumb question.
Old 01-02-2022, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlrashn35 View Post
Having the same issue in 2021.10 and up .. I have 2 clips with audio, slip mode, crossfade size less than a bar, less then a beat in actuality, and getting this same error. does the fade out on the left clip and a fade in on the right clip behave the exact same as a cross fade? Newbie in production, sorry for the dumb question.
Posting in this old thread is not likely to get you any good advice. Go to the section for the current version of Pro Tools and post there. Re-read the advice above and see if that helps, or is the cause.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave