Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 06-13-2017, 01:22 PM

Default Re: ASIO Priorities, X32, Windows 7.1 and PT 9.0.6

James,

Thanks for taking the time to lend a hand, I do appreciate all who take the time to assist those of us who are confused about these things for I always thought that what ever your interface is ... 002, 003, Mbox what ever or anything had to be the selected there. Maybe that is what I am missing.

Okay, to review quickly, so you are saying that in the Sound in the Windows Control Panel that the X32 should not be set as the default device? So what shoudl be selected there, nothing?

Thanks again for your input. I am going to run SANDRA and be back to see what the answer is and go from there when I post the report.

See everyone soon ...

John A. B.
Old 06-13-2017, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crookedtourguy View Post
Okay, to review quickly, so you are saying that in the Sound in the Windows Control Panel that the X32 should not be set as the default device? So what shoudl be selected there, nothing?

That is correct. The Windows audio device should not be set to the X32. In my experience, it should be left on the PCs own internal audio device.

If your mobo auto-senses when a plug is inserted in an audio jack, you may need to plug in some dummy plugs to an in and out on the internal jacks so that Windows will stay on the internal sound card and not try to revert to something else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 06-13-2017, 02:14 PM

I must confuse that I am confessed ... no wait ...

James,

Just so I can wrap my head around this and get it correct.

1) I should enable my onboard sound card in the motherboards bios. (it is presently disabled)

2) Set the Windows Control Panel Sound so Windows will use the motherboards built in sound card.

... and then what. I am unsure of what to do next.

Will the UFX still show up in the mixer section? Is there onther setting I will have to set to get the X32 to work with Pro Tools?

I seems a bit counter intuitive but I will try what ever procedures you describe or go to the page where I can get this information.

I did go into Windows CP Sound and disables all the UFX devices but when I came out the volume icon wanted me to set one of the UFX outputs as the out.

I am sorry I am not making any sense but ... I need some more info here.

Thanks again for your time and I will look forward to your reply. I diffinately am learning something new here today.

John A. B.

P.S. I does make me wonder how I had it up and running for the last seven months ... dumb luck, maybe?
Old 06-13-2017, 02:51 PM

The Windows audio device has absolutely nothing to do with using your interface with any software. In fact, conflicts arise when both Windows and your other software are trying to use your audio interface at the same time. Therefore, Windows should not be using your audio interface for sound. To keep Windows from automatically setting itself to the ufx, you have to set it on something it won't change from. Hence, put Windows back on the internal sound card.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 06-13-2017, 04:43 PM

To reiterate: Enable your onboard soundcard in BIOS and set it as the default for windows sounds/audio.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 06-13-2017, 05:00 PM

Bruce and James,

Okay, I will go back and enable my sound card. Then make it the default in the Window Control Panel Sound section. Is there anything else that I should be doing to make these changes work.

SANDRA is still running and as soon as it gets done I will post it here for you to see, too.

I also have to admit the Behringer only has confused me over product name minutia. They have had me downloading dozens of different drivers and updaters that have done nothing but make the situation much worse. Oh well, I guess.

Hemingway, let me go check on SANDRA and try what you have suggested and we will go from there.

Thanks for your time, patience, knowledge and suggestions. Be talking with you soon,

John A. B.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:24 AM

Hello Everyone.

Yeah, I disappeared for a few days just to clear my head a little.

I was becoming quite frustrated with everything especially after I went back in and tried to start resetting it all. About half way through and a couple of three restarts, I had, had enough and instead of finding where I hid my 48Oz short handle ball peen hammer to press that 'any key', again ... I walked away to try again another day.

This past Tuesday was that day and instead of trying to figure out all that I had tried to reset, I once again got out my trusty CD copy of "Dirk's Boot and Nuke", did the fast 5 hour DOD wipe of my hard drive and started over.

I went about it in a slow measured way to make sure I did ecerything properly the first and as of last evening, I got ProTools 9.0.6 to find all my plug-ins, set it up to use the USB 2.0 out on the X-32's X-UF Card, using the X-UF USB 6.13 driver and it all worked ... sort of ... During playback I have tons of clicks, pops and even a small amount of distortion with in the audio.

I've had a similar problem when I set up to use the X-UF 1394 6.13 driver but cannot remember what fixed it. Has anyone had this problem and have a/the solution. It would be nice to get my system back up and running again.

Thanking all in advance that takes a second to read my post and offer a solution. Be back soon and have some fun out there today, too!

Thanks

John A. B. (CTG)
Old 06-23-2017, 06:31 AM

Clicks and pops are related to the sampling rate, i.e. Clocking issues
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:34 AM

IIRC, the X32 defaults to a sample rate of 48. What sample rate is your session at?
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 06-23-2017, 01:35 PM

Thanks for your replies, I really appreciate the time you take to help all of us.

I am using 44.1/24, the X32 is set to this and it matches what is set in the mixer section. I have the mortheboards built in sound card defaulted for Windows sounds. The Recording section of the Sound page, or in the mixer section, wants the output to be outpost 7/8 on the X-UF in the X32. So I am not entirely sure if I have the Sound page or the Mixer setting correct on either setting.

But I am at least getting everything to load properly and play ... even thought the playback is noisy with clicks pops and distortion.

I hope this helps you help me and Thanks again ...

John A. B. (CTG)