Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 05-10-2017, 01:48 PM

Default Question about Pro Tools 9 HD with non-HD hardware (003 Rack)

Hi,

I've only just been reading about this, but is it true that Pro Tools HD 9 will still work even if I don't have an HD audio interface and Core PCi card, so it will still run with my 003 rack over firewire ?

And then when it does work, will it be the equivalent of ProTools 9 (non HD) + Complete Production Toolkit v2, obviously without the hardware latency benefits though. So I can effectively get HD software benefits from my legacy LE hardware ?

My set up at the moment is : Pro Tools LE v8.05, 003 Rack and C|24. This all works great and latency during record is tolerable for my applications.

I mainly want surround sound mixing channels added, so was looking previously for ProTools 9 (non HD) + Complete Production Toolkit v2, but this is very difficult to find a copy of.

So my question is if I get a copy of Pro Tools 9 HD, will that give me the same set up as if I had Pro Tools 9 (non HD) + Complete Production Toolkit v2 AND will still work normally with my 003 rack and C|24 set up ?

If so it sounds the perfect solution, rather than have to also replace the 003.

Many thanks for your help.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:11 PM

Default Re: Question about Pro Tools 9 HD with non-HD hardware (003 Rack)

Yes, the 003 should work fine right up to version 12(assuming a compatible computer and firewire controller). Since version 9, its the iLok license that tells Pro Tools to open as HD or non-HD(and HD will also work with the 003 but minus the TDM processing). As for tracking latency, with careful selection of plugins, a modern computer that is properly tweaked, you should have no trouble tracking all the available inputs of the 003 and 24-30 tracks at the 64 buffer. That buffer and no active plugins with more than 10 samples of latency and the vast majority of players will be fine with the latency over firewire(I tracked many a band with a DIGI003, running all 18 inputs for a few years before moving up

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-11-2017, 02:20 AM

Thanks Albee,

Does that mean then that there's only one version of software for version 9 ? There's just ProTools 9 and that's it ? There's no separate installer or software for HD or non-HD ? So I would then have to get an HD ilok licence, and it would start in HD mode, but as I understand will still work with my 003.

In summary, the way I understand this is to get ProTools 9 (.... note there isn't an HD in the title of the software, it's just called ProTools 9 and not called ProTools 9 HD), then get an HD ilok licence, then I will get all HD software features, but it will also still work with my 003 in this HD mode. Does that sound right ?

Old 05-11-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualG View Post
Thanks Albee,

Does that mean then that there's only one version of software for version 9 ? There's just ProTools 9 and that's it ? There's no separate installer or software for HD or non-HD ? So I would then have to get an HD ilok licence, and it would start in HD mode, but as I understand will still work with my 003.

In summary, the way I understand this is to get ProTools 9 (.... note there isn't an HD in the title of the software, it's just called ProTools 9 and not called ProTools 9 HD), then get an HD ilok licence, then I will get all HD software features, but it will also still work with my 003 in this HD mode. Does that sound right ?

Exactly right The installer installs all features and the iLok license tells which features to enable. It gets a little complicated once you hit 12.6, but for 9 thru 12.4, its just that simple(12.6 adds a separate iLok asset for digilink hardware, but with 003, this is meaningless). As good as version 9 is(9.0.3 was most stable for me), version 10 added some great features(Clip Gain is great) and version 11 goes full 64 bit, so if your computer has lots of RAM, PT11 actually can take advantage of it But if PT9 covers your needs, run with it

Old 05-11-2017, 02:30 PM

Thanks Albee, that's a great help.

Had no idea that this was the case until very recently, that I could run HD software using a 003. Music to my ears (so to speak .... )
Old 05-11-2017, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualG View Post
Thanks Albee, that's a great help.

Had no idea that this was the case until very recently, that I could run HD software using a 003. Music to my ears (so to speak .... )
Lots of features for sure. Just something to be aware of for the future; many of the best HD features have now been opened up in non-HD Pro Tools 12.7(in case you decide upgrading to the newest HD software is too expensive)

Old 05-11-2017, 10:14 PM

For 10 disk cache was so amazing!!!!!

Kept my native computer going for an extra couple of years
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 05-21-2017, 01:21 AM

Am now all set up !! Have bought v10 with an HD ilok licence.

Installed it and now all working perfectly, so have v10 HD running still using my 003 Rack. Fantastic !!

Such a game changer for me, especially as I wanted surround sound channels.

Thanks everyone for their help!
Old 05-21-2017, 01:29 PM

Disk cache is a game changer !!!

Best of luck - happy mixing
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.