Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 08-11-2016, 03:11 PM

Default Re: I am having a problem with recording with my set-up.

Hey SouthSideMusicGroup,

Okay, after going to NewEgg, I have decided the most cost effective way I can go is to purchase 7200 rpm drives for both my Mac Book Pro and to replace the 160 GB WD Raptor that is the record drive in my Mix/Match/Create rack-mount machine.

I was looking at a $70.00 1TB WD 3.5" Black Preformance Drive for the MMC rack mount and there is a $55.00 500 GB WD 2.5" Performance Drive for my laptop.

But before I pull the trigger on either, I thought I would seek your input on this important purchase.

Again, I am thanking you in advance for you kind assistance on this subject.

CTG
Old 08-11-2016, 03:16 PM

Hi

Can you post links to both these drives so we can be sure that those are good to go

Thanks
Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 08-11-2016, 03:46 PM

SSMG,

Sure, here they are. And thanks for you time again

CTG

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...90%20600030594

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822236625
Old 08-11-2016, 03:48 PM

Opps, here's the actual page for the 500 GB laptop drive page

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIAAEE3Y26343
Old 08-11-2016, 04:01 PM

Hi again, no worries, we are here to help eachother and exchange knowledge

So .. If this is your budget and can't do an SSD drive for OS tasks then I would say that those drives will work as advertized.

I am not trying to make you feel bad or anything like that when we talk budgets and prices, just that for less than $40
you get a super awesome SSD which are the future, fast reliable and you can do MANY MANY things at once without a hiccup so please don't take it the wrong way, I feel for what you been thru and respect that you need to tighten up somewhere but "maybe" getting a really good SSD and maybe skimp on something else this month could work?

We use those WDC Black 1-3 TB drives as backups here in our big studio aswell as at home, so does many members here too as they are really fast and reliable so that one is proven to be superb!

Regarding the 2.5" drive I have never used one but looking at the specs it's 7200rpm, normal cache size 32MB, 64MB would be better but not gonna kill you.

So yes, again, if you feel you can't swing for the Samsung SSD drive :
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-372-_-Product

Or bigger although this one will smoke the 7200rpm spinners all day long then go for the ones you linked to.

None of ushere can say that you will have a superstar system as all computers seem to have their own life these days (one member canhave everything working on his setup while another member who has the same system have problems) but looking at these links I can't see anything that will cause you more trouble than you already have, quite opposite.

Make sure you format both drives Mac OSX Journaled Extended before usage and all the optimizations posted here :
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=300050

When you have installed and tried the new system out let us know if you have any issues, if you want to PM me or email me with questions if you need quick assistance my info is under the profile but try here first as others who read this might be helped aswell from our findings

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 08-11-2016, 04:17 PM

Christopher,

Hey sir, thanks for the great advice again. And actually I have used this community many times for problems I cannot seem to solve on my own. i have even had pertinent information from time to time, too.

But both my systems had worked so well for so long, this all took me by surprise when it happened and I realized I might be looking in the wrong direction. And it seemed I tried everything else over than what both Albee 1952 and you pointed.

As soon I get the drives in and start using them, I will let you know how they work out after I get them both set up and running.

Again I thank-you for the information and will catch you up on the project when I am done with it. Thanks again ...

John A B aka CrookedTourGuy
Old 08-11-2016, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crookedtourguy View Post
Christopher,

Hey sir, thanks for the great advice again. And actually I have used this community many times for problems I cannot seem to solve on my own. i have even had pertinent information from time to time, too.

But both my systems had worked so well for so long, this all took me by surprise when it happened and I realized I might be looking in the wrong direction. And it seemed I tried everything else over than what both Albee 1952 and you pointed.

As soon I get the drives in and start using them, I will let you know how they work out after I get them both set up and running.

Again I thank-you for the information and will catch you up on the project when I am done with it. Thanks again ...

John A B aka CrookedTourGuy
Perfect

Talk again soon my friend!

Best Wishes

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 08-19-2016, 02:11 PM

Ok, so i got a new problem here and I have not experienced this one either but here goes.

I got both the 2.5" 500Gb WD Black Performance drive for my Mac Book Pro on Thursday. I did all the necessary things like back up my drive and save all the things had to be saved.

I then open the MBP and exchanged hard drives. That went fine also. It was when I tried to load OS X I started haveing problems.

At first I could not get any of the saved OS X disc images to install. They would get up to less than minute to go and it would stop the install usually saying something about "base" something could not be found and to restart and try again. If that would not work it said to use the Dick Utility to "Repair Disc". Well it never found anything wrong with th disc.

I finally got the original OS X disc from when I bought it to load even got up to the point of loading "Snow Leopard' and it sarted all over again.

So I have spent one of the most frustrating nights of my life just trying to install anything on to my MBP until I got the other drive a 3.5" 500Gb WD Black Performance this afternoon.

I load it it in a tray, pushed it in, stuck my Windows 8 Home 64 bit version in and off we went. it is still doing its' thing down loading updates and such right now.

But because I needed a new security code I had to come back here to my MBP remove the WD and install the original 320 Gb 5400rpm Hitachi drive that came with it to get back to my email accounts.

So can anyone help me figure out how get OS X installed on the new 500Gb 7200 rpm WD Black Performance drive so I can start using this one again with Pro Tools. I have a location job coming up in about 10 days and I would like to take this one and not my rack mount PC to do it.

Thanking all in advance for any help they can give ...

CTG
Old 08-19-2016, 02:41 PM

Are you installing windows updates and win 8 in a MBP

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 08-19-2016, 05:00 PM

No, I was trying to install Snow Leopard, but that would go through the whole process and right at the end it would fail and tell me to restart.

I also have an image(s) of OS X; 10.7.6, 10.10.3 and the original Mac OS X Install DVD.

I have only had the original actually install, update till you have to install Snow Leopard. Put in the disc, it starts installing right up until the very end and then the install would fail and it would tell me to 'restart'.

I have tried verifying the disc, repairing the disc, creating 1 partition and then erasing it all and starting all over again.

I finally gave up, changed out the drives and came here to see if anyone could offer me a few clues. This partition I use for all my stuff on this disc says I am using El Capitan 10.11.6. And on the Pro Tools 9 partition I run the OS X 10.7.6 which is supposed to be the OS X it likes to use. I tried the disc but it does what I tapped out above.

I do have a back-up drive but everytime I go to use it all it tells me is "It cannot restore using this OS X version. Upgrade to version X.X.X." And I cannot get to it.

I hope this explains it all in a way that makes sense but I has not made any to me. The MBP is a Mid 2009 build and the original OS X is Lion I think.

Thanks for the help again and I'll by checking to see what you have to say soon, thanks ...

CTG