Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 07-13-2018, 02:07 AM

Default iMac Pro and Virtual Instruments Drive

Hello Folks,

Ever since the start of time, and before having those 1 TB internal SSDs built in, we used to be storing the Komplete, Omnisphere, Kontakt Libraries on a super fast External Drive to save space on the system drive.

Now currently with the iMac Pro, an 8 core Processor along with a 1 TB internal SSD, would it be better to store those libraries and install them on the internal drive ? or the External Drive is still the way to go?

Your opinion is much appreciated.

Best regards,

Bechara
macOS 14.3
Pro Tools 2024.3
Logic Pro X
Reason 12

UA Apollo 8p
Apogee Thunderbridge/Apogee Symphony I/O 2x6
Eleven Rack/Focusrite ISA Two/Onyx 1640i
UAD Satellite Quad
MOOG Mother 32
Nektar Panorama P1
Axiom AIR 49/Axiom 49/Yamaha P35
Fender Mustang/Marshall Amp/Ibanez Pedals/Fender Strat/Yamaha FG820L/Martin DJr10e
Genelec 8040b/Yamaha HS80s/M-Audio BX5a
Beats Solo/Shure SRH1840/Slate VMS

https://open.spotify.com/artist/7KfV..._branch=1&nd=1
Old 07-13-2018, 04:18 AM

Default Re: iMac Pro and Virtual Instruments Drive

I would still put sample libraries on a separate external ssd or a 7200 rpm spinner

It would make system restoration a lot easier to have the samples and system s/w separate. Also you have bit/bytes coming through separate pipes with a separate sample drive; that gives less of a possibility of a bottleneck. Now I know ssd's are fast and a lot of people only use one drive but still I'm old-school. Actually I have three drives - system ssd with sessions on a separate drive and samples on the third drive.

QAPLA!
Old 07-13-2018, 04:22 AM

Default iMac Pro and Virtual Instruments Drive

Depends how many libraries you have I guess.

Those drives are very fast. The only way to get comparable speeds on an ext. drive, is to use an nVME drive in a TB case.

If your libraries are no more than 500GB total, I’d store them on the internal drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-15-2018, 03:18 AM

i am using the main libraries on my internal big drive and if i ever get to buy some stuff that are not daily bread and butter then I'll put them on my external SSD

One more thing, what do you guys recommend as a good thunderbolt 3 dock ?
macOS 14.3
Pro Tools 2024.3
Logic Pro X
Reason 12

UA Apollo 8p
UAD Satellite Quad
MOOG Mother 32
Nektar Panorama P1
Fender Mustang/Marshall Amp/Ibanez Pedals/Fender Strat/Yamaha FG820L/Martin DJr10e

Old 07-28-2018, 06:26 PM

I'm on an iMac Pro 10core and I could only afford the builtin 1tb drive so I moved all my Native Instruments and others libraries over to an OWC 1tb Envoy Pro EX thunderbolt 3 external and it's just as fast as an internal drive, I'm loving it.

Also, I'm using the Promise TD-300 TB3 dock and I couldn't be happier with it. I don't even think about it because I've never had a problem with it from day one.

I thought about going with the OWC TB3 dock but it had too many bad reviews and driver problems when it first came out.

I ended up just replacing my external firewire drives with USB 3 enclosures because they're super cheap now and I didn't need firewire anymore.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingleTRON View Post
I'm on an iMac Pro 10core and I could only afford the builtin 1tb drive so I moved all my Native Instruments and others libraries over to an OWC 1tb Envoy Pro EX thunderbolt 3 external and it's just as fast as an internal drive, I'm loving it.

Also, I'm using the Promise TD-300 TB3 dock and I couldn't be happier with it. I don't even think about it because I've never had a problem with it from day one.

I thought about going with the OWC TB3 dock but it had too many bad reviews and driver problems when it first came out.

I ended up just replacing my external firewire drives with USB 3 enclosures because they're super cheap now and I didn't need firewire anymore.
Well I am using my Internal Drive and still got like 400 GB free and couldn't be happier with the cable-less setup !
macOS 14.3
Pro Tools 2024.3
Logic Pro X
Reason 12

UA Apollo 8p
UAD Satellite Quad
MOOG Mother 32
Nektar Panorama P1

Old 08-15-2018, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becharax View Post
Well I am using my Internal Drive and still got like 400 GB free and couldn't be happier with the cable-less setup !

I would always reccomend running system, VI's and sessions on different disks in case of disk failure. It probably won't happen but if it does you will be glad you don't have everything on one disk. And of course always backup!
Old 08-15-2018, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdee View Post
I would always reccomend running system, VI's and sessions on different disks in case of disk failure. It probably won't happen but if it does you will be glad you don't have everything on one disk. And of course always backup!
Amen to that. That way you're not stuck with a single failure point that would bring work to a halt. Have three separate drives which each backup/clone to three separate external drives so that way if I lose one drive I can still keep on working.

QAPLA!
Old 08-15-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becharax View Post
Everyone's data space needs are different. Myself, I have a LARGE library of VI's and samples so it makes sense to keep them on a fast external that is backed up along with everything else.

With a Laptop system, I completely understand the fear of cables or dongles, but it just doesn't make sense with a stationary Desktop system. Cable management skills are easy to acquire.

I personally value the safety of my data and zero downtime anxiety over a few cables that I've hidden somewhere. But, everyone has their own style and that's what keeps the world interesting.

Hard drives WILL fail period, no matter if it's a rust drive or an SSD.
Old 08-19-2018, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingleTRON View Post
Everyone's data space needs are different. Myself, I have a LARGE library of VI's and samples so it makes sense to keep them on a fast external that is backed up along with everything else.

With a Laptop system, I completely understand the fear of cables or dongles, but it just doesn't make sense with a stationary Desktop system. Cable management skills are easy to acquire.

I personally value the safety of my data and zero downtime anxiety over a few cables that I've hidden somewhere. But, everyone has their own style and that's what keeps the world interesting.

Hard drives WILL fail period, no matter if it's a rust drive or an SSD.
Well if by any chance my iMac Pro internal drive fails one day then be sure I am suiciding because I cannot afford a repair hahahaha
macOS 14.3
Pro Tools 2024.3
Logic Pro X
Reason 12

UA Apollo 8p
UAD Satellite Quad
MOOG Mother 32
Nektar Panorama P1